Chapter 32

The debris threw me off balance, physically and mentally. I landed in a pile of broken pieces, which didn't make for the softest landing. That's going to leave a mark, I thought to myself as another piece fell on my thigh.

After the temple was finished exploding, I got up and climbed out of the pile. My focus was immediately drawn to the surface of the planet, which I could now see. Vader stood at the edge of the large hole in the ground, looking for me. Our eyes met for a second, but he turned away to leave.

I sighed and surveyed the area around me. There was no sign of Kanan, Ezra, or Maul, which meant I was stranded. My communicator was still halfway functioning, but I couldn't get a long distance signal. I sighed, as it was going to be a long time before I found a way off-world. With my original intent of coming to Moraband in mind, I meandered around the temple (at least what was left of it) exploring.

After a few days, I stumbled upon the ship Maul used to get here in the first place. It was a piece of junk, quite literally; not even the control panel worked properly. I decided to fashion a transmitter out of the salvageable parts.

Weeks passed, and my supply of ration bars began to dwindle. The transmitter I had been working on could send a long distance signal, but it was very unpredicatable. After many attempts, I was able to send a transmission to a Alema. She promised to come pick me up, but wouldn't get here for a few rotations.

There were still many secrets within the temples on Moraband I had yet to unlock, so I did some more research using the resources within the libraries. I had been able to gain a deeper understanding of the theory of force wielders and their power.

After sifting through mounds of books and holodisks, I decided to take a walk outside. A little fresh air sounded very nice. I walked outside only to find that a small cargo ship had landed close to the temple's entrance. A small orange life form was making her way towards the entrance. I froze.

"Hey!" She shouted, walking towards me. "What's a life form like you doing on dust ball like Moraband?"

"I could ask you the same question," I replied cynically.

"Maz is looking for parts, scavenging, if you will."

"On Moraband?"

"You'd be surprised what people leave behind. I found you, didn't I?"

"I suppose so."

She removed her goggles and looked me directly in the eyes, as if searching for something in my pupils. "I see." She took my right hand and placed it between her own. "My child, I have seen many things, many people. I know your eyes. There is much conflict within you, each emotion fighting for control."

I gave this "Maz" a once-over. "You don't know a thing about me or what I've experienced. You don't even know my name."

"I don't need to. If one lives long enough, she can see the same eyes in different people."

I squeezed my eyes shut and let out a heavy sigh before opening them again. "Is it that obvious?"

She chuckled and placed her hands on her hips. "Emotions are not something to be ashamed of. They are a part of life, so embrace them."

I immediately thought of Lux. As a Jedi, it was illegal to be in a relationship because of attachments leading to pain and suffering. It took me a long time to accept my feelings and act accordingly. "You're not a Jedi," I said. That much was obvious. "So what are you?"