twenty four

As soon as I reached Malibu, I headed straight for a grocery store to get some things for the time I was going to be there. I pulled into the parking lot of the nearest Whole Foods. I grabbed my purse and took out the keys from the ignition, sliding my sunglasses up onto my head.

I found a cart and began looking for ingredients for tonight's dinner. My phone was non-stop buzzing from inside my purse since I'd been gone for about an hour and a half now. I ignored it all, making a mental note to turn off my phone in the meantime.

I lined up to pay and once it was my turn, I noticed the boy checking out my items, so I gave a friendly smile. He smiled back, showing off his perfect teeth. I reached into my bag for my wallet and saw my phone still blowing up with texts and calls. Huffing, I ignored it once again and slid my card to pay.

"Something bothering you, miss?" The cashier asked.

"Just my friends," I lightly laughed. He nodded, laughing with me. He then bagged my things, putting them in my cart as well.

"Have a nice day," He smiled.

"Thank you. You too," I exited the market and quickly stuffed my grocery bags into the trunk, starting the drive to the beach house.

Since my phone's bluetooth was hooked up to my car, a call from Jack G came through. I decided to finally answer, biting my lip nervously.

"Lil?" He sounded surprised I answered. I faintly heard someone tell G to put it on speaker.

"G?" I sighed. "Please tell me you're not around everyone right now."

"You're in luck, I'm home with J," He chuckled.

I evidently sigh in relief through the phone, making him laugh again. "So what'd they say when I didn't come down?"

"They were confused as hell, and then Nate starts to panic. Said it wasn't like you to do this. This is true, so Johnson and I suggested giving you some space for now. They all disagreed, telling us you guys needed to solve whatever problems you had regarding Sam. God, we couldn't stand to hear them dictate what y'all had to do, so we left."

"Sounds like you two need a break, too," I laughed. "They've been non-stop texting and calling and I'm this close to throwing my phone into the ocean."

"Hope you have warranty!" Johnson yelled from the other end of the line, then ended the call. I giggled, rolling my eyes. I finally pulled into the driveway of the beach house, already craving the feel of the warm sun on me. I quickly hopped out of the car, grabbed the three bags of groceries, and shuffled into the house.

I put away the foods that needed to be in the refrigerator and immediately brought light into the dim house by pulling up most of the blinds. I situated myself on the couch and turned on the television, the thought of turning on my phone causing my head to hurt.

I wasn't entirely sure running away from everyone was going to solve anything, considering Nate didn't do anything to make me push him away. However, I needed some alone time to get all of this Sam stuff out of my head. It's not easy seeing your ex come back into the picture when he crushed your heart by sleeping with his ex-girlfriend—if you can even call Liza that. I didn't want the events during the time we were dating to repeat themselves, because, in the end, I'll only end up hurt. Tell me I'm overreacting, or exaggerating, but the pain of being cheated on and lied to is one of the most painful things someone could experience.

The home phone rang, bringing me out of my deep thoughts. I was slightly nervous about who it could be. Thankful my parents had gotten caller ID, it appeared to be Gilinsky's residence. I put it on speaker, biting my lip.