nine

Walking down the hallway, whispers were passed between students. I got many looks: confused, sympathetic, and a few disgusted. Mike was standing at a nearby locker and when our eyes met, I faintly smiled. He returned a smile, but I could see some pity behind his eyes. Word gets around so fucking fast here.

Speak of the devil, I thought. Liza was walking towards us, her group following close behind. Sam trailed right next to her and they were holding hands, fucking great. She smirked cockily, stopping right in front of me and the guys.

My eyes flickered to Sam, then back to meet Liza. I narrowed my eyes at her, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Aw, look who it is," She cooed. "Are you done trying to steal my boyfriend from me?" She purposely rose her voice so everyone could hear.

I scoffed, "You really think I'm trying to steal him from you? And anyways, if you're so worried about me stealing Sam, why are you two still together?" I stepped closer to her, a small height difference visible since she was wearing heels. Her breathing became slightly erratic.

"Am I a threat to you?" I tested. She tensed, and from the corner of my eye I could see Sam smirk faintly.

"N-no. Of course n-not. Why w-would you be? I have Sam, yo-you don't." She tried to recompose herself. At this point, students gathered around, probably waiting for a fight to break out.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you through all that stuttering," I fakely smiled. 'Ooooh's' went around the circle of students, and I smiled in victory.

Liza huffed, squealing out of frustration. She gripped Sam's hand tighter and stormed off. He looked back at me and smirked, but I rolled my eyes and flipped him off. Students applauded at me and cheered me on. I blushed and rushed back to Shawn, Nash, and G. They hugged me tightly, cheering me on.

I let out a deep breath, "I need to go home. I'm gonna skip the rest of the day. I'll see you guys later, I guess." I heard the guys mumble out a few things, but I couldn't catch anything since I already walked away.

I avoid any attempts of talking to anyone, going straight to my locker. Opening it, I grabbed my bag and fished for my keys.

Pulling into my driveway, I turned off the engine and sat in silence. I rested my head on the steering wheel, focusing on my steady breathing.

A knock on my window interrupted me from my silence. "Lily? Come on, babe. Open up! Are you ok?" The voice I recognized were Serena and Blair's asked. I jumped at their sudden appearance, placing a hand over my heart.

"What the hell are you guys doing here? Shouldn't you be back at school?" I rolled down my windows.

"We could say the same to you," Blair retorted.

"Look, I'm ok. I needed some time to cool off. Will you guys just go back?" I pleaded, but I knew I couldn't get rid of them that easily.

"Oh honey, do you know us at all? It's going to take more than a dismissal to get us to leave you alone," Serena smirked, crossing her arms. See.

I rolled my eyes, getting out of my car and walking to the front door.

"Alright, tell us what's wrong." Blair took a seat on the couch, patting the empty space next to her.

I pondered on telling them, but knew I couldn't keep it bottled up. I didn't even notice them staring at me for a few minutes until Serena cleared her throat.

"You ok?" She softly asked.

"Oh-uh, yeah," I recomposed myself and took a seat on the couch.

"Come on, Lils. Spit it out, you can't keep it from us, you know that."