Chapter 10 - Maddy

I finished the breakfast at Bob Evans uneasy. I knew she heard me, and I knew I was screwed over. Whoa, wait. I never actually admitted to liking Derek, did I?

"Anyways, back to this Derek. Sounds hot."

"Wha, how did you get that from his name?"

"Oh, naive Maddy. You know we've seen him when we pick you up from practices."

"He's not...hot. He's mean, and most certainly not a hero."

"Punching someone in the face and risking his spot on the team, sounds like a hero. And heroes aren't mean."

"C'mon, Maddy. He's a total cutie, just go for it. You know you like him."

Aha! So I never admitted it. I was safe...or at least I thought. Why did Mrs. Weaver smile at me when she left? I never, ever said anything that would of given myself away. Course, I was always a bad liar...

Wait, I was not a liar. Because I didn't like that stupid, egotistical, jerk; I coudn't, I wouldn't, I shouldn't. But then why did I keep thinking these things? There was only one explanation - that I had fallen for the green-eyed self centered jerk called Derek Weaver. But that wasn't true!

"Yes, it is." A voice of reason said inside my head. I was so conflicted, I just wanted to sleep everything away and pretend it didn't happen, like I've tried before. Tried.

I relaxed at home and watched some TV to get things off my mind until practice came. I looked for my things earlier than usual so I wouldn't be late.

"Ready to go Maddy?" I heard Hannah say. Or Hadley. They both sounded alike, but when you see them up up close, there's a distinct difference in their eyes. Sure, they were both hazel like mine and Mom's, but Hadley's were more brown and army green while Hannah's were more gold and blue-ish. I absolutely hated my eye color. Hazel? What color are you supposed to be, just the leftovers from all the other colors? I woudn't of minded just one color; blue, brown, gray, or green, like Derek's...

"Alrighty, let's go." Hadley said, interruping my thoughts. I shook my head around again and headed for the car. Derek is out of the question right now. And what was the question? Maybe the question of who I liked, or if I even liked anybody. I used to have a crush on Kendall in 4th, 5th, and 6th grade, but I eventually got over him. He's a good friend now, kind of like a brother my age.

"You still need to admit you like Derek, Maddy. We aren't resting until you do." Hannah said from the driver's seat.

"Is it just too hard to accept the fact that not everything's working out the way you want to?" I said. It was getting annoying to hear.

"We just want our little Madeline to be happy. It's about time you got a new crush since that Kendall Fox..."

"How did you know about that?" I hissed. Even though it lasted 3 years, no one in the entire world knew about my dirty little secret. I had only written about it once in my diary... "You guys didn't."

"I'm sorry. We both know that was wrong, and we apologize for it now. We didn't intend for you to find out..." As the twins rambled on with their apology, every entry I wrote rolled across my mind. I'd written about the kid on the playground who stole my teddy bear and about how he gave it back eventually, about 1st grade when I fainted, 2nd grade when I learned cursive and everything was written in it, 3rd grade with the teacher who hated me, just typical journal stuff. I didn't write in it anymore.

"It's fine. Kendall was the only embarassing thing you read." I finally interjected. I let out a sigh of relief.

"We know that. You need to write in it more often!" Hannah exclaimed.