Chapter 35 - Derek

dedidcation to NotCreativeCici for amazingly READING MY MIND ABOUT THE PLOT OF THIS CHAPTER :P

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I heard the click of the door, wasting no time to pull her up and high-tail our asses out of there.

I ran towards the kitchen doors, dragging Maddy along behind me. I had explored the room this morning after seeing the same janitor that was chasing us now hang up the NO ENTRANCE sign. Of course I was going inside, I'm a teenager and highly enjoy breaking rules. The room was just so regal-looking, I wanted nothing more than to run around it. I spent some time in there with a notepad and hotel pen to write too, about anything and everything. Describe the room, describe Maddy, describe what my nervousness. I'm glad she didn't notice the sign on the way in however; I knew she wouldn't of gone if we were breaking rules. Can you blame me? After my parents forced me to sit as they interrogated Maddy to the bone, constantly wondering how they might weave in some embarrassment, I needed to get out of there.

"HEY!"

The janitor's shouts followed us as I pushed through the door, still holding onto Maddy behind me. Subconsciously, I moved through the maze of tables and stoves when the janitor's angry voice cut through my fleeing thoughts again. "COME BACK HERE YOU TEENAGE TWATS!" His tone frightened me, realizing he definitely meant business. Panic began to set in.

Both of us stopped, searching for some exit. We needed out, we needed out. In the corner of my eye, I saw a smaller door. I needed something, something, something else though. He wouldn't stop pursuing us once we pushed through that door, and I wasn't even sure if it lead anywhere. It might be a closet for all I know. My mind started to work in overdrive, trying to think of anything that would get us out of this mess.

I felt Maddy step back into me and the greasy old janitor come dangerously close. I wasn't letting any other jerk lay a hand on Maddy again, as ridiculous as it might sound. The incident earlier had me really riled up.

And out of no where, it came to me.

"Là-bas! Allons-y!" I dragged her towards the hopefully-not-a-closet door, racking my brain for more French, trying to conjure up something to say. I knew he would catch us, even after hearing the clang of bowls on the ground behind us. But maybe I could pull a Pokemon move and confuse him. He lunged and forcefully grabbed Maddy's wrist.

"You kids are getting thrown out for sneaking in there, you little flea bags of hormones."

Anger started to course through me, but I wasn't going to punch someone to get out of this one. I had my wits about me. Hurriedly and in a rough accent, I pleaded, "Non! Sil vous plaît monsieur, nous ne parlons pas anglais. Je suis désolé, je suis très, très, désolé." The confusion in both Maddy and the janitor's face helped calm me down a little. I added, "Allons, sil vous plaît. Nous ne serons pas revenir ici."

I almost smiled. That was actually pretty good.

Much to my relief, he let go of her and stomped off, mumbling about the damn French. "Merci!" I called out for good measure, going out the door that thankfully led back into the main lobby. Getting in the elevator and heading up to floor five, since it had already gotten dark, I could feel Maddy staring attentively at me. "What?" I asked.

"What?! You just burst into sudden French! Where did that come from?"

I picked another fuzzie off my shirt and headed towards my room. "I looked through Max's French books in high school. Picked up a few things."

I felt her grab my hand and yank me back around. "A few things? Those were complete, fluent, sentences!"

Getting the key card from my back pocket, I slipped it in the door, relieved that Mom and Dad were out somewhere. I responded, "Maybe more than a few things."

"What did you even say?"

Sitting on the couch, surfing through the channels, there was nothing good on. Maddy sat down, and I finally just settled on some black and white sitcom and answered her question. "First, I said 'Over there! Let's go!' Then, I said, 'No sir, please. We don't speak English. I'm sorry. I'm very, very, sorry.' Finally, I said, 'C'mon, please. We won't be back here.' And then 'thank you', and now we're here." I wasn't quite sure I had the translation exactly right, but it was close enough. I looked over at her and raised an eyebrow. "I would think you'd be praising my French skills for getting us out of there, not questioning them."

"Whatever. I was just surprised."

I tried to focus in the sitcom, but simply I loved messing with Maddy. "Mon amour, que faites-vous?" I asked, thinking of what else I could say in French. "Tu aimes le langage français?"

She sarcastically responded, "Oui. Sure."

I put on the heaviest, most ridiculous French accent I could muster. "C'est le langage d'amour."

"Translation please. Me no speak français."

"I said," I tilted her chin up towards my face, seeing how red I could make her. " 'My love, what are you doing?' Then, 'Do you like the French language?' To which you responded yes, to which I then responded, 'It's the language of love.' " A pink tint started to spread as she fought a smile. "J'aime votre innocence."

"You love something innocence, I understood that one."

"Your innocence, specifically. J'aime ce que vous faites." I scooted even closer to her as she continually tried to stay as sarcastic and uninterested as possible. Of course I knew her better than that.

"I'm drawing a blank. I must be a little rusty on the French."

"Il est mignon. Vous êtes mignon."

"What?"

"I love what you do. It's cute. You're cute."

To my triumph, her face began to get red. She quietly questioned, "How much of that book did you read?"

Smirking, I leaned back into the couch and turned my attention to the tv again. "A decent amount. And there were three, actually." Slipping out my phone because the sitcom had quickly become boring again, I realized the disheartening time. It had been just over an hour since I found her locked out. "You should get back to your room though. Your mom and sister should be back by now."

I heard an audible sigh and the cushion shift beside me. "I don't want to go."

"I don't want you to either." My hands started to sweat a little bit as I timidly made eye contact with her. I was realizing these bouts of shy embarrassment surely weren't going away anytime soon. Even though I've talked to Maddy countless times before, the nervousness would still creep up.

"Can I stay a little longer?"

I smiled, relieved. "Of course. Je t'adore." She leaned into me and I instinctively wrapped my arm around her midsection. "That means 'I adore you', by the way."

She laughed and poked me. "You are a hopeless romantic."

"Ah, ah, ah, romantique désespéré. You know you love it." Not to sound like a douche or anything, but I still had that endearing confidence.

"I know. I love y-" I snapped my head towards her as her eyes widened. Was she...did Maddy..."your French."

It took a second to clear the thoughts in my head. "Thank you," I replied. "I knew it'd come in handy one day."

I should have figured she wasn't breaking out the l-word. Was she? Was I prepared for it? I was almost certain I loved her, but there's no way I was telling her anytime soon, because of being afraid she'd run off faster than a gazelle.

I returned to the boring sitcom, quickly becoming disinterested again. But Maddy...she was right next to me. Madeline Gray is actually with me, right now, enjoyably, by her own will. I mean, I still couldn't believe after everything wrong I've done, every single terrible screw up and mistake I've made, she looked past it all. She deserved so much more than my egotistical self, I knew that, but I don't know what I would do if we hadn't of worked things out back at the barn during practice. What if she was dating Wyatt right now? What if I was with Scarlett right now? Oh god. I became extremely relieved that Maddy liked me, of all people. The quiet, headstrong, beautiful center defender that was the incomparable Maddy Gray, is mine.

She shuffled a little, and I leaned my head back to stare at the ceiling. I have this amazing girl by my side, but I remembered that tomorrow, games start. And I needed to start focusing. We weren't a first division team, thank the lord, but it didn't ever mean second division would be a breeze. Riverview would be here again, Beaver would be here, Bridesdale of course...every team on our roster was going to be a battle. We couldn't afford to get seated low, because that would mean going up against the harder teams first, and not getting a by either. If we were seated at least fourth by Wednesday, we wouldn't have an 9:00 am game. I was betting we could get to the semifinals, but I wasn't going to say that for sure unless our offense moved the ball more. And my defense was a little more cooperative.

That had me thinking. What if Maddy and I still don't get along in the field? What if she'll continue to brush me off? I didn't think she would do that, would she? No. Yes? I don't know. Tomorrow, I could just feel us being a whole different team. I wasn't sure if we would be better or worse, but definitely different.

My phone buzzed with a text from Dad, interrupting my continuous thoughts. It read:

Was out for dinner and met a scout. Told me he's excited to see another Weaver kid play.

I gulped nervously. scout? I'm still in middle school. aren't scouts for college?

Within a minute or two, he replied. He's an athletic director at the private high school in Hemsville. Says if we're interested, he could put in a good word for you. :)

I hadn't given a single thought about private high schools, or soccer in high school or college or any of that. I didn't even have the slightest clue what I wanted to do for an occupation, how could I just pick up everything I have in Ashcrest and move somewhere completely new? Leave friends, coaches, teachers, neighbors, and now Maddy...

We'll talk about it later. It'd be one heck of an opportunity, I think you should consider it.

I closed my phone rapidly and tossed it on the recliner. I didn't want to leave Ashcrest, but I knew if I could get a scholarship to the infamous Hemsville High School I could get a scholarship for college. I could go for a free ride. But was I really planning on getting on the US men's team or something crazy? I'd love to play in high school and college, be on tv, play all around the country. I just couldn't decide now, at the age of fourteen for god's sake. And this was one thing I did not want to talk to Dad about.

Maddy shifted again, stretching an arm out and yawning. "I should probably go." She got up and stretched out again.

With a resigned sigh, I said, "I suppose." I got up to lead her out.

Catching me off guard, Maddy turned around and gave me a hug, exhaling into my neck. She was just so lovely, though.

She hugged with the delicacy of a closing flower, breathed with the warmth of a summer wind but the power of a winter gale, radiated a certain sense of security. I breathed in the mixture of vanilla and chlorine, truly felt her skin against mine, fell deeper into all the twists and turns of her personality. She was a secret garden that might've had thistles waiting around a few corners, might've had weeds that grabbed at your ankles, but contained the most beautiful ivy that covered stone walls, the most fragrant lilacs, the fullest roses, the most vibrant lavender.

"I'll see you tomorrow?"

She pulled away to look at me, a troubled look in her eyes. I smiled to reassure her. "I sure hope so. What will I do without my fearless center defender?"

Maddy smiled back and hugged me again. "I think the question is what would I do without my goalie?"

"You'd be lonely. And I would too. And you would probably be working your ass off to keep the team alive."

She pulled back and set a hand on the door handle, half-smiling. "You too. But we're healthy, and I know we both need rest to stay that way."

I laughed and held the door open for her as she stood in the hallway. "Agreed. Bye, Maddy."

"Bye Derek."

She smiled again innocently, and I couldn't help grinning wildly back. I shut the door as she walked away, but stared at the glossy back surface in front of me, faintly seeing my outline. Maddy was leaning against me just seconds ago.

I somberly walked back to the couch and sat, staring at my hands. Why was I starting to miss her so much all of a sudden? I'd see her tomorrow. I'd see her tomorrow. Yet, I wanted, no needed, her back again. Like in the ballroom, running through the kitchen, her adorable blush. I was missing her as if she was a part of me. And I didn't have her phone number. And...I didn't even kiss her before she left. Oh no. I didn't kiss her, I didn't kiss her? How could I, why did I, in what world would I forget to kiss Maddy -

There was a knock at the door and a muffled voice. "Derek?"

I immediately got up and opened the door to find none other than Maddy herself, nervously wringing her hands together. "I-I'm sorry, I just wanted to...er, I mean it sounds ridiculous b-but, um, I was wondering -"

I roughly pulled her in and kissed her as she slowly pushed me backward and swung the door shut. She grabbed the collar of my shirt and then pulled me forward, leaning against the door. I put my hand on the door to keep from collapsing into Maddy as she continually pulled me deeper into the kiss by the shirt collar in some insane, addictive, form of passion. She yanked me even closer, stomach to stomach, and then pulled away. I breathed slightly heavier than before.

"Welcome back."

"You miss me?" Her sultry, confident tone of voice caught me off guard.

Entranced, I leaned in closer while glancing at her bottom lip. "Seems like you missed me."

"I forgot my phone."

I pulled back, taking a few steps away from her. "Oh, haha, uh, I'm sorry, I'll...um..." I drifted off. How stupid could I get? I don't think I've ever felt more embarrassed than I did in that moment. What the hell was wrong with me.

She smirked at me then laughed. "I'm kidding." Maddy took a few slow steps, casually sliding a hand across my chest. Her whisper in my ear sent shivers down my back. "Of course I wanted a kiss." She planted a light kiss on my jawline.

Overcome with temptation, I pulled her around and into me until we were stomach to stomach once again. I made eye contact, smirked, and whispered to her, "If it's a kiss you want, it's a kiss you'll get."

Her hand weaved its way into my hair. "Don't shy away."

"From what?"

She pressed her lips against mine, light as snow, and said under her breath, "You know what."

She kissed me again, I kissed her back. I don't know where she had suddenly become even better at kissing, but it was amazing. Amazing, incredible, irresistible. This time, much to my surprise, it was her own tongue that poked through and made contact with mine for a fraction of a second. I couldn't help smiling.

"What?" She pouted, looking worried.

"Nothing. You're just...god. I don't even know, Maddy. Absolutely addictive."

"You are too."

"I know."

"Egotistical jerk." She hit me in the arm and I couldn't help laughing.

I leaned in again, but came up with a different plan as I wrapped my hands around her waist and carried her like a sack of potatoes. She started to giggle as I draped her over the back of the couch and began to tickle her.

Maddy was quickly brought to hysterics as I continued to move my fingers around rapidly. "I didn't hear you, you said tickle you?"

"No!"

"I'm pretty sure that's what you said."

"No! Stop, stop, stop!" She kept laughing harder, which made me laugh in return. Her hand shot out, roughly grabbing the front of my shirt and pulling me towards her face. I stopped my tickling. She was smiling and out of breath, hair flying around everywhere, eyes filled with life, cheeks a bright pink. I didn't know what to say, captivated by the sight of her. She remained silent, just examining me to the square millimeter.

"Uh -"

Again, she kissed me, looking to take the lead by getting up, but I leaned in more, feeling her falter. Both her hands gently sat on either side of my jaw, and I had a hand in the small if her back. We continued to kiss, ever so slowly incorporating more tongue. I didn't think about it, I didn't try to calculate every move, things just sort of...happened. And fell into place, thankfully. I felt like I was simply melting into nothing: into a zero-gravity, pleasant, abyss.

She pulled away, lingering, and I wanted just a little longer with her, just a moment or two more...

I was spun around, pushed over the couch, feet forcefully grabbed, and tickled mercilessly. Should've seen it coming.

I laughed until I couldn't breath, Maddy cackling ridiculously along. I didn't want to kick, afraid I might kick her, so I succumbed to her tickling until I had to beg her to stop, trying to convince her I was truly dying from asphyxiation. Finally, thank all that's holy, she stopped. I slumped on the couch, breathing like I had run a marathon. I saw her flip over the cough next to me. "You almost killed me!" I said, still breathing heavy.

She laughed. "Drama queen."

"Devil spawn."

Again, she laughed, but harder. "I had to take the opportunity."

I sat up, putting my hands behind my head to make my breathing go back to normal. "That's okay. I did the same thing." I laughed lightly as she traced a seam of my shirt.

The door clicked and Mom stumbled in, holding a thin, tall bag. I put my hands down and Maddy pulled hers back as Dad led Mom to the bedroom, bringing the bag back out to the kitchenette. "Sorry kids. Mom hasn't had wine in awhile." He laughed to himself and faced both of us, dusting off his hands. "Your mother's looking for you though, Maddy."

She stood up. "I was just leaving anyhow. Thank you for the pizza and everything."

Dad gave her a winning smile as she walked out. "Not a problem." The door closed and my heart rate finally began to slow. Dad sat next to me and flipped through the channels aimlessly. I was still caught up on Maddy when he asked, "So."

I turned to him, still messing with the remote. "What?"

He set it down on some news channel and faced me. "I want to talk to you about this scouting deal."

I tried to not give away fear. "Okay."

"I know you don't want to leave Ashcrest and all your friends, and I'm not saying that you'll automatically get a scholarship to Hemsville, but I really would like you to consider it."

I got up to go to my bedroom. "I will." I really didn't want to think about this again, and he didn't seem to mind.

"Okay. Get some rest, got a big day ahead of you, kid."

"I know. Night."

"Night."

Shutting the door, I eventually figured out the shower and washed off in record time, realizing just how exhausted I was. It was only 8:00pm, but it felt like 10:00. The bed had several warm
blankets, but I lazily laid down and fell asleep almost instantly.

<^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^<^><^><^>

"You have one sock on."

"The other's in my bag." I cut a middle aged woman in the breakfast line and grabbed two pieces of bread. "Sorry," I said, reaching for a knife. "I'm sorry." Reaching over a small boy, I took a knifeful of peanut butter, slapping it on my measly pieces of bread and tossing the knife in the trash can as Wyatt impatiently tapped his foot.

"Dude, we gotta go."

I took a bite and heaved my bag higher. "I know, let's go, let's go."

We sped-walked out to where Coach Reed was waiting in the car for both of us. We had to be there early, so my parents weren't coming until we actually started playing. So I had gotten up late, of course. I had to double-check to make sure I didn't forget anything. Gloves, jersey, shin guards, shin guards? Oh. On my shins. One sock, check. Cleats, check. Water bottle. Check. Frazzled to no end, check.

We arrived at the fields about 20 minutes from the resort. They were absoltely pristine, not one blade of grass cut uneven. Lines crsip and white, nets without a single tear, I couldn't wait to mess it all up. I couldn't wait to play.

I saw Kendall out of the corner of my eye come towards Wyatt and I, getting our soccer bags out from the trunk. "Guys. We get to play Hoover first." Hoover was a famously unskilled team.

"Really? Where's the schedule?"

"Over here. C'mon."

The three of us walked to the side of the concessions building, finding a row of large white papers tacked to the wall. The games for today were Hoover, first, then Wellington (which was the snobby rich kids with ridicuously expensive unifroms and team cleats, I couldnt wait to play them), and Bridesdale. They were going to be tough, I knew that from news articles. They've only lost a few games in their season so far. We would play Hoover at 10:00, Wellington at 2:30, and then Bridesdale at 7:00, leaving plenty of time for rest. Three games in one day would still be a heck of a time, though.

"Oh great. Bridesdale at 7:00. We're going to be dead."

I turned to Nate. "I wouldn't say that. They'll be dead too." He shook his head.

"They have that insane striker. He shoots upper 90 on nearly every shot. No pressure."

"Yeah, thanks Nate."

A couple laughs went up. I realized that the entire team was gathered, in orange shirts and socks, talking in small groups as usual. Wyatt, Kendall, Nate, Jarod, and I, examining the schedule, Zane and Carter talking about some video game, Mark, Oliver, and Grayson discussing something else, Sam flirting with Dakota, and Aimee, Heather, and Maddy excitedly talking about something. All here, a team. Even if Bridesdale had some shooting prodigy, I wasn't letting them down.

"Hey, gather around." Coach Dublin beckoned us away from the concession stand and motioned for us to sit. She croushed down to talk to us. "If you've checked the schedule, we've got three games today. Hoover, Wellington, and Bridesdale. I know you all had fun yesterday, but we're here to show that Ashcrest isn't some little one room-schoolhouse in the middle of nowhere. Keep that in mind throughout this entire day. I want you at the field at...9:30, so 20 minutes from now." We all got up to leave. "And Derek, you have one sock."

I looked down, completely forgetting one leg had a half-pulled up soccer sock on it. "Right." I sat again, pulled it up, and fished my other one out as some teammates laughed. Everyone except Maddy, Aimee, Heather, Wyatt, and Jarod went off to find something to do for 20 minutes. They stood around in a circle, starting to talk about the competition.

"I'm excited for Hoover."

"Why? You know we'll crush them."

"Yeah. That's the point."

"Then there's no competition."

"...And?"

Maddy spoke up. "Aimee, you've got to be laziest outside mid I know."

Aimee laughed at her as I finished tying my shoe, standing up with the rest of the group. "You're the most easily exhausted center defender I know."

"I don't even need to run half the time!"

Frustration crossed Aimee's face. "So."

I couldn't help smiling at Maddy as Jarod started arguing with Aimee about center mid and how they couldn't afford to be lazy. Things went back and forth, but Maddy finally caught my eye, slyly giving a smile. I smiled back with a discreet wink. She turned away, face starting to redden.

Behind her, I caught sight of a familiar short cut of light brown hair and overly confident stance, looking at the schedule with some other equally douchy-looking guys. He had Wellington's signature navy and gold jersey on and was holding a pair of pristine white goalie gloves. His friend caught my eye, nodding in my direction. He turned, and I could remember that face anywhere.

He caught a glance at Maddy sitting across from me, disscussing something between Wyatt and Jarod, eyebrows raised. I saw him pat the other guy on the shoulder, point, say something, then start walking towards her. I stayed still, not knowing what to do next.

"Hey, nice to see you again."

Maddy turned, smiling dissapearing fast as lightning. "Get away from me."

He glanced down her whole body, leaning in. "Listen, I just wanted to apologize for yesterday." His voice was thick with fake remorse, and I almost wanted to vomit.

"Accepted. Go away now."

"C'mon, I'd like another chance."

Heather casually pushed Maddy out of the way, getting face to the face with the jerk herself. "I'd back off if I were you. She's taken."

His expression quickly changed into one of confusion and anger. "By who?"

"Derek Weaver. Right there, about to pound your face in." He followed Heather's finger, right to my chest.

"Weaver? Like Max Weaver?" He asked, looking me in the eye with a slowly growing smirk. I still couldn't speak, completely torn between running away and punching him in the throat.

"Yep. And he's the best damn goalie that'll be here."

I tried to make eye contact, shaking my head furiously. This wasn't going well; this was going to go downhill fast.

The jerk snorted. "Runs in the family, does it?" He turned to me, waiting for an answer.

I froze up again. "Uh -"

"I'll bet you anything he's better than you." Maddy smirked at him, giving me a slight nod. I shook my violently head at her, mouthing desperate "no"s.

"Fine. If we score more goals on him than your team does against us," He paused dramatically. "You go on a date with me."

"And if we score more?"

"I'll never talk to you or any of your teammates again."

"Deal -"

"I bet you guys won't be able to score one goal," Heather interrupted. "I swear my life on it."

The cat still had my tongue, but I wildly gave the cut off signal to Heather. She didn't acknowledge me.

"Fine. One goal and the girl goes on a date with me."

"Deal," Maddy said, shaking hands with him. "See you at 2:30."

"See you then. And again at 8:00 tomorrow night." He winked, walking off, high-fiving his friends. The air escaped my lungs as I ran my hands through my hair, turning away from the group. Oh god, no. This just happened. This just happened. If I let one measly goal in against Wellington, Maddy was going on a date. With someone else. Oh dear god no.

Maddy turned me around. "What's wrong?"

"Are you crazy?!" I yelled. "It's Wellington! Wellington, Maddy, the insanely rich school that you have to pay to play and half the high schoolers drive Bentleys. He's probably had private lessons since the age of five!" I covered my face. "Oh my god I can't believe this is happening."

"Derek! Get a hold of yourself!" Wyatt tore my hands from my face. He threw them down; I let them slap against my sides. "You'll be fine."

"Fine?" I squeaked out. "It would've been fine if Heather didn't insist I could pull off a shut out!"

"Hey!"

"I'm sorry, I'm just a little stressed that Maddy is going to go on a date with SOMEONE ELSE at 8:00 tomorrow night."

"Derek," Jarod, this time, spoke up. "You've got the whole team in front of you. We're going to do our best too, so it doesn't all depend on you."

"But -"

"No. We all hate Wellington. We're in this together, dude." He gave me a reassuring smile, pointing to the field where the Hoover wildcats in red were lazily warming up. "Let's go and get rid of them first."