Chapter 20 - Maddy

WOO! 5,000 reads by chapter 20! I IZ ON TOP OF ZEE WORLD! lol. not really. the song is appropraite though -------> :D i wub imagine dragons. awesome band. haa. again, I owe you guys so much! thank you, thank you, thank you! ^_^

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I didn't have time to think, so I didn't. I wound up, looked to the left corner and just shot it like every other shot in practice. I didn't want to look, but the whistle assured me that I had scored my first goal of the season.

The crowd cheered and Dakota rushed over to give me a high five. "Awesome shot Maddy. I fucking love you." I laughed as she gave me half hug and the game ended, shaking hands and going back to the sidelines. Several teammates congratulated me, and I could barely believe it myself. I haven't even shot in a game in forever and I made the first one I took, winning the game. I was on cloud nine.

"Well, I'd say that was a job well done. Maddy, wonderful shot, Dakota, wonderful assist. I think you boys need to take something from the girls. The communication was excellent, and Maddy didn't even hesitate. That's how you win." Coach Dublin said. I laughed nervously. As Coach Dublin continued to talk, I replayed the goal over and over in my head. I nitpicked everything I could've improved on to keep myself from getting a big head with each flaw I named. I mean, one goal. That's pretty awesome, but I can't go brag. But it was so epic. No, don't go all egotistical. Hey: it was pretty sweet though.

Everyone began to talk at once, more congratulations thrown in here and there. I humbly took them, packing up all my stuff and chatting with Heather, not used to so much attention. "Hey, who here is going to Scarlett's tonight?" Dakota said, turning to face us three. "Maddy, Heather, Aimee...?"

We exchanged a few awkward glance. Obviously we knew we weren't invited and wanted no invitation anyway. I wasn't sure how to tell her no, but Aimee spoke up. "Well, we weren't invited," she said, hoping to drop the subject.

"That's stupid. You guys are coming anyways. She said I could bring a friend."

"No, no we're alright-"

"Yeah it's fine,"

"Please, don't worry about it," I pleaded. I would rather watch the opening ceremonies at home and revel in my temporary glory than ruin it by going to Scarlett's, of all places.

"Please? I know you might not like her, but I really don't want to be all alone. Pretty pretty pretty please go?" Dakota gave us her best puppy dog face. "C'mon! It's the Opening Ceremonies! And a ton of other people will be there!"

"Why can't you just hang out with them? I really don't want to crash a party, much nonetheless Scarlett's." I reasoned. Please, I want to enjoy the rest of my day, not ruin the end. I love the Olympics, and I love the opening ceremonies. I faintly remember Athens and I really remember Beijing, and how spectacular those games were. I was a sucker for watching rhythmic gymnastics, and of course, soccer. I was glued to the TV for the whole games, and my family thought I was crazy, but I loved watching the best athletes in the world compete, all in one place in the ultimate showdown.

Dakota leaned in. "Alright listen. Neither do I, but I'm obligated to because we're sort of kind of friends. I don't want to go anymore than you, but I need someone to make the experience more enjoyable. Scarlett pisses me off."

To my surprise, many of the boys laughed in agreement. Scarlett was someone that had a lot of...persay, "guy friends". Or just went around. But anyway, I expected most of them to like her, with her blond hair and brown eyes, tall and showed more than enough skin. I guess they all secretly hated her, too. And Dakota, I thought, was a sort of friend of hers, but I guess I was wrong. There were very few people who can stand her, anyway.

"Why don't we get together somewhere else?" Derek said, speaking up.

"Hey, that's not a bad idea Derek. Where, though?"

"Wait, aren't you neighbors anyway?"

"Well, yeah, sort of."

"That works out then. Right?"

"Sure. My mom should be okay with it. She wanted people over, anyway."

"Awesome. Everyone, to Derek's house by 7." Wyatt said, facing forward and saluting. "March, soldiers."

Just like that, plans changed and I felt a little bit more at ease. Everyone laughed and continued smaller conversations, but I thought about the invitation. His house, with everyone for the night? Maybe it wouldn't be so bad. Aimee came up to me, still zipping up her bag. "You're coming, right?"

I thought about the offer again. It sounded fun, but only if the other girls were. There was no way I'd be going alone. I'm sure Mom would let me, or want to come, along with the rest of the family. Oh god. My whole family there? That's a deal breaker.

"Maybe?"

"Maybe?!" Aimee said, catching me off guard.

"Well, I don't know...I might just stay home and watch instead."

"No! I mean, you can't!" Aimee said, looking to be in utter disbelief at such a preposterous answer.

"Uh, yeah, I can." I said. She was being extremely assertive about this, for some reason.

"...What if we take you? If you can't go? And maybe you can spend the night! Like, a sleepover!"

I haven't slept over at Aimee's house in forever, and I most certainly wanted to, so I told her I'd text her about it. She gave a cheery alright and we went our separate ways, Dad and Drew being my audience today. Both of them gave me a high five, and Drew tackled my legs. "You scored!"

"Yes, yes, I know!" I said, trying to usher him into the car. He hung onto my legs.

"Good shot, sweetheart. You really shocked those guys on the other team."

"Really?"

"Absolutely. You should've seen their faces. It was hilarious."

I laughed and imagined how they would've looked, having a girl score on them. Maybe I could do it again, but I've got other priorities right now. I still needed to ask about Aimee's house, and I realized how much I really wanted to go with Aimee; she always makes things fun. I half-wrestled Drew into his seat and went up front to mine, buckling in. Dad set off towards home.

"So, Aimee invited me over to her house for the night. I'm pretty sure she was set on me sleeping over and going to Sunday's game with her. Am I allowed to go?"

Dad seemed to ponder the thought for a moment. "Well, I don't see why not. As long as your room's decent. You're not going to watch the opening ceremonies of the Olympics?"

"Oh no, we were."

"Oh, I see. Girl's night."

"Well, sort of..."

"Sort of?"

I hesitated for a moment. Dad wouldn't be weird about this, would he? No, I hope not, and I was a terrible liar. He's see right through me if I try and bluff. "Well, the whole team was invited over to Derek's house to watch...Aimee was just going to take me. Along with Dakota and Heather."

I thought I saw his hand tighten on the wheel a little, but his tone was completely relaxed. "Oh, I see. Well, that should be fun. You all seem to be such a close team now."

"Yeah, I guess we are."

"Alright, well you have my okay. Your mother's out tonight, anyway."

I stepped out of the car and into our house, taking my time up to my room. "Thanks Dad!" I called down. I stepped into my room and tossed my bag onto the chair in the corner of my room and spotted the basket of laundry at the end of my bed, getting to work. I was eager to get a shower and text Aimee back. She responded a 'YAY' with an excessive amount of y's at the end. I hopped in the warm shower water and washed up in record time, excited. This would be fun.

30 minutes of drying, brushing, choosing something to wear, and packing my bag. I was supposed to be at Aimee's by 5:30ish, and it was 5:30 now. I was usually late though, so she probably expected me to be there at 5:45 anyway. I fixed my messy bun and rearranged t shirt and shorts. I wasn't one for dressing up, and it was with the team, so I expected to be fine in whatever. We were just watching t.v. anyway. I tucked another strand of brown-red hair into my bun as Hadley called me from downstairs. "Madeline, let's go!"

"Coming!" I said, rushing to grab my toothbrush and some body spray, sprinting down the stairs. I pushed past her, still stuffing things in my bag. "Let's go." I said. Dad said have fun, I responded with "I will!" and went out the door, Hannah waiting with the car started. I got in the back and waited for Hadley. We set off on the 15 minute drive to Aimee's. They said nothing for ten minutes.

"Have fun at Aimee's."

"Thanks, I will."

"And I heard about your goal. Good job."

"Heh, thanks again." It was weird yet comforting at the same time to hear them be so nice to me. Something told me it was genuine, not just mind games like they usually are. We came up to Aimee's driveway; they pulled up and let me out. "Bye, thanks for the ride."

"Sure thing sis."

"See ya."

I waved goodbye and walked up the steps to Aimee's large house, set back from the road and covered by trees. Her house was comforting and roomy, with high ceilings and plenty of windows. It seemed like a home that would be on the cover Better Homes & Gardens. Everything was kept so immaculate, it was so welcoming. Aimee's mother invited me like an old friend, which I practically was. I came over a lot, and vice versa. Aimee came bounding down the steps. "Maddy's here!"

"Hey Aimee," I said. "Your hair looks pretty." Her brunette hair was straight and curled just at the ends, held back with a complimentary feather headband. Aimee certaintly had style and it showed.

"Thanks. Now off to my room! LAND, HO!" I laughed at her enthusiasm as she grabbed my wrist and pulled me upstairs.

"Thanks so much, Mrs. Cook!" I called down, giving her mom a wave.

She smiled back and waved. "Oh, it's my pleasure. You girls have fun." We simultaneously responded we will, while Aimee pulled me into her always clean and spacious bedroom. Her walls were painted with diagonal, wide white and black stripes, the furniture black and white with royal purple accents. Everything fit together in her room, while mine was just a mish-mosh of random trinkets and things. Aimee walked straight over to her closet and started rifling through her clothes. I plopped down on a shaggy white beanbag and leaned back, looking at her upside down. She stopped and turned towards me, examining me for a moment.

"Hmm," she said, still rifling through her closet. I rolled over and got up, walking over to her closet to see what she was looking at. "Wait, stand right there."

I stopped halfway, wondering what she was doing. She grabbed two things from her closet and held them up to me: a neon pink tank top and printed black and white short shorts. I backed away. "No, not this thing again."

"Maaaaaaaddy! Why can't I dress you up for once?"

"Because I'm comfortable in this, thank you very much. What are you wearing?"

She pointed to her bed where it looks like she had the entire outfit planned out, accessories to shoes. It was a teal, flowy tank top with destroyed shorts and brown leather sandals. She had a brown cuff laid out, along with a palette of makeup. It was a complete outfit that I knew would look amazing on her. "Wow, pretty. You have such a sense of style."

"I know, which is why you should really let me pick out your outfit!"

"Except when it comes to me." She laughed and moved over to her dresser, opening various drawers and messing up perfect piles of clothes. She opened a bottom drawer and pulled out a pair of sweatpants and threw them at me. I held them up. They were heather gray and had Love Pink running down the side in a cursive script, obviously the famed Victoria's Secret branch that was head-over-heels expensive.

"At least wear those. They're sweatpants for god's sake."

"I don't want to ruin them or something though."

"Oh you can have them. They don't fit me anymore anyway. Hem's too short."

I felt the soft fabric in my hand, wanting to try them on. Aimee was skinny and tall, so the size problem was understandable. "You sure?"

Aimee looked at her, deep brown eyes sparkling. "I'm positive. If I picked it out and your considering wear it, I don't care what the hell you do with it."

I smiled. "Thanks then."

"Well, get changed! We have hair and makeup!"

I groaned and changed into her sweatpants, the fabric the softest I've ever felt. They fit perfectly, and I felt confident and secure in them. I wasn't looking forward to the effort I'd have to do to wash the makeup off and tie the hair back up, but for these sweatpants it was worth it. Aimee came up beside me in the mirror, obviously looking amazing in her outfit. "Wait, one more thing. You have a tank top on?"

"Yeah. Well, a black cami and white tank top."

"Perfect! Wear that instead of this old t-shirt." She fluttered the cotton fabric around in her hand.

"No! That's too...exposed."

"Just try it."

"Fine." I took off my old t-shirt, the cami and tank hugging my torso. I wasn't used to tight clothing, and this definitely felt weird. "I don't know."

"You look ten times better. Now to the bathroom! We can chat more in there." I laughed as she dragged me yet again down the hall and into her own bathroom, where drawers of product and makeup were opened. I sat on the edge of her tub, playing on my iPod and talking to Aimee as she did her makeup, which took a long time. Mascara and black-brown liner, with a little bit of silver shimmer. Perfect, as always. We stopped our conversation about Facebook to have her turn to me with a tube of mascara in hand.

"Yeah, did you see that pict - no."

"Why?"

"I'm not letting you put that on me."

"What's it going to take? I'll do anything."

I was about to respond with another no, yet her offer stuck in my mind. "Anything?"

"Promise."

I thought and thought about what to say. I could make her do a duck impersonation, or wear some ridiculous outfit, or-

"I know." I started, coming to a realization and a conclusion. "You have to tell Wyatt what you think about him." Her face flushed, and I knew I had gotten her. I threw my hands up in the air "VICTORY!"

"Fine! I will!"

"Pinky promise?"

"YES, PINKY PROMISE!" she yelled. I laughed at her distress as we locked pinkies. She thrust the mascara tube in my hand. "Now go."

Still laughing and reveling in triumph, I stood to face the mirror, taking the wand out of the tube and brushing some of the extra off. I had seen Mom, Hadley, and Hannah do this tons of times, so I had a pretty good idea on what I was doing. And way deep down, It was fun. It was like painting almost. I pulled my lashes out with the wand, curling them upwards until I felt they were long enough. I handed the tube back to Aimee, using my index fingers to separate and bend them upwards more. I turned to Aimee. "Happy now?"

"Very."

"So, first, I just want to hear about Wyatt..."

We sat and talked for another half hour, messing around with makeup, while Aimee styled my hair a little bit. I told her it was just going back in a bun or ponytailpl, but she didn't care. She was thrilled that I even let her touch my hair. By the time we were laughing so hard our stomachs hurt, Aimee's mother called us down to go. I used a hair tie to put my hair back in a bun, loosely pinning my bangs back with a bobby pin. We headed out the door, into the car, and on the road.

Aimee and I continued talking throughout the car ride, along with her bubbly and fun mother. She was hilarious and always knew what to say. I didn't feel nervous, excited, or anxious at all the whole car ride. In fact, I could've stayed in that car for hours and not of gotten bored. But a slight bump signaled that we were in a driveway, and our destination was reached. Aimee's mother was coming in too, so the three of us stood behind Derek's house, which was much like Aimee's from the outside. Big and comfortable. Then the nerves settled in.

I didn't have enough time to flee by the moment the door was flung open and Sam was standing there, a backdrop of teens lounging
around, the t.v. turned on. I could hear chatter and the clink of glasses down the stairs, which is where the parents must be watching. "Hey, Maddy and Aimee are here!"

A collective cheer went up from the team, sitting around and eating chips and pretzels. We were the last to arrive, and apparently the most expected because a crowd of teammates came over and gave each of us a bone-crunching hug. Aimee's mom went off to go talk to a group of friendly parents downstairs, making jokes that made everyone laugh. Dakota pulled us inside into the living room, making us sit down on the ground in front of the couch. Aimee took a spot on the end near Wyatt, then Heather, then Dakota taking her place, then me. Dakota hungrily grabbed the bowl of pretzels in front of her, sitting cross legged and paying attention to the t.v. "It's gonna start, it's gonna start!" I laughed and relaxed a little at her enthusiasm.

The boys were strewn about the room, sitting or on couches, constantly kicking each other or telling each other to shut up or pass the chips, fattass. I was watching the opening commentary when a figure plopped down beside me. I turned to see Derek scrolling through his iPod, checking a long list of boxes that I assumed to be chores. Sweep, put dishes away, fix the t.v., etc. He was wearing khaki shorts, black Nike socks and a plain, dark green v-neck shirt. I suddenly felt uncomfortable in my tank top and sweats.

He sighed and put away his iPod. "Hi, sorry I missed you come in."

"It's fine. We just got here, anyway."

He turned to face me, small smile on his face. "Good."

The newscaster on the television said something about women's soccer, and we all quieted to listen about their win over France. They started to talk about London again, so I turned to Derek. "Why did they already play a game?"

He looked at the t.v. and shrugged. "I don't know. I was about to ask you that."

"Oh. Well, anyway, you're looking sharp."

"Huh?" he responded, seemingly lost.

I laughed a little. "I said you look sharp."

"Oh, thanks." He turned back towards the t.v., scratching the back of his head. "I don't know what's with girls and what guys wear. This is normal, for me. Nothing special."

"Girls aren't obsessed with what guys wear."

"What, so we could run around naked and you wouldn't care?"

I laughed again. "I take that back."

"See? That's what I thought."

"But guys are certainly obsessed with what girls wear, of course."

Derek took a moment to think about it. "...Some guys are. I'm not. I think you look nice in sweatpants."

I looked down at my gray sweatpants and pulled my knees up to chest, not wanting him to say something about my tank top. I should've at least held my ground on the t-shirt.

"And a tank top. And no makeup. And your hair in a bun," he added, turning to face me. He locked eyes with me and I felt my face get a little red. I forgot I had mascara on, but I guess it didn't matter.

"Thanks."

"Yep. You girls don't understand that you don't need so much stuff to look beautiful."

"You talk to us like a different species."

"It seems that way, doesn't it? Besides, you're complicated."

"I'm not. Other girls are, but not me."

"Please. You're like a Rubik's cube, sudoku, jigsaw puzzle, crossword, 40 combination lock...box of something. Probably anger. About to explode."

I couldn't help but laugh, even though I disagreed. "I think I'm easy to get along with."

"You're easy to get along with, but not figure out."

I turned to him as he kept his eyes on the television. "I don't get it."

"Ah, you wouldn't."

"Wait, explain."

"It's nothing."

"No, I want to know. It doesn't make sense that easy to get along with and figure out are different." I said, watching him grow more antsy under my stare. He tried not look over, I knew it, but I kept hoping he'd crack. The curiousity was killing me.

"Because it's easy to talk to you now, but I can't figure out what you're thinking."

"...Most people can't read minds." He laughed at my comment, bowing his head down to hide his smile. "And you're hard to figure out too. You won't even look at me." I reasoned, keeping my voice at a low whisper. The video had started, but I was only catching bits and pieces of it.

Immediatly, he turned to face me, green eyes looking brighter than ever in the dimming light. My mind went blank for the moment. It was nice. "Sorry," he breathed.

I frowned. There was something off about him now. Whatever feeling I had before was gone. "What's going on?"

His gaze slowly shifted elsewhere, quickly refocusing on the t.v. "Nothing. Let's watch." I hesitantly turned back to the tv, soon getting mesmerized by the movement of people and the drumming and the greenery of the stadium. I rested my head on my hands, lost in the display, now going through the industrial revolution. The sparks went down from the cauldron as the iron workers worked away at the now forming circle. The music got louder, and as the four rings came into the middle along with the formed one, Dakota yelled loudly, "I GET IT!" Everyone chuckled a little as sparks showered from the 5 Olympic rings. We quieted down as I scrunched up closer to myself, awaiting the next display.

An arm wrapped around my waist and pulled me sharply to the left, where I ran into Derek, breathing in the faint scent of cologne. My stomach fluttered and I got nervous. "I said let's watch," he whispered. "Not you folded up alone into fetal position." I shivered as he pulled his arm across my back, leaving us shoulder to shoulder. Everyone's attention was glued to the tv.

Not good. Not good, not good, not good at all. No, this where I didn't want to go, down this alley. But I couldn't backtrack, I couldn't undo anything, and I couldn't push away what I felt. I wanted him. I wanted to talk everyday, to hold him and never let go, to sneak a kiss somewhere. All the things songs on the radio talk about, the pictures on tumblr say. No, I can't, I can't, I've got to take some initiative here. I'm too weak. Get a grip.

I pushed away a few inches, resuming my fetal position. I tried to get accustomed to it, but I was yanked back. Derek kept his arm around me this time. "What's going on with you?"

"Can you let go, please? I'm sorry."

"No."

"Wait, what?"

"I'm not letting go until you tell me what's up."

"Funny. Really, stop messing around..." I attempted to wriggle out, but useless.

"Nope."

"Seriously. Let go."

"I'm not."

"No. This isn't something friends should do. Or teammates. Please let me go. I said please."

"Why not be friends? I mean, why not something more?" Derek asked, looking me straight in the eye.

And that was it. The question asked, the tension gone. The 'if' hanging in my mind for the past few weeks. That's been unspoken and buried away, out in the open. And what was weird, is how comfortable the question was. It wasn't nerve wracking or awkward at all, just something that, well, needed to be taken care of.

"I don't know...we're teammates."

"You say that too much."

"I can't help it. You know things would be screwed up."

"I wouldn't care. And I don't think anyone else would." I let his reasoning sink in. No one has been seeming to care lately, but a warning flagged kept waving in the back of my head.

"I'd want to try."

"Me too."

"Do you think this is going too fast?"

"No. Not fast enough. I mean, I don't want to rush..."

"No, I understand."

There was a pause. "What are you thinking?"

I sighed. "I don't think...I mean, I just don't know. I really don't know."

"Okay. I'll wait 'till you figure it out." He hugged me tighter. "And I'm still not letting go."

I tried to hide my smile. "Fine." And then we sat comfortably, in silence, left to ponder the conversation ourselves. I had really said everything I had thought to him, so there wasn't much to ponder. But we still haven't moved anywhere, forward or backward. No progression, just postponed. Which put us right back where we started, in reality, but I felt like the waters were a little clearer.

We watched the opening ceremonies until the very end, which was extremely late and probably not a good idea. We clapped tiredly, getting up and stretching out. Parents said their goodbyes and thank yous. Derek walked off somewhere, probably to thank his friends for coming. I stayed and talked to the girls a little, who hadn't noticed anything,picking up a piece of my trash and heading to the kitchen to go throw it away. I said good bye to Heather and Dakota, Aimee going to talk with Wyatt. To my surprise yet expectation, Derek stood, texting something to someone. I threw the piece of trash away as he walked towards me and put another arm around my waist. "See you tomorrow."

"See you then." He leaned forward until our foreheads touched, eyes locked. I smiled sheepishly, chest fluttering, not used to the feeling. I might of exploded if Aimee hadn't burst in, causing us to seperate at lightning speed.

"HA! I caught you! I KNEW IT!"

"Aimee, keep your voice down-"

"And it's not what it looks like-"

"Oh, bullshit. Sorry to tear her away from you Derek, but Maddy and I have got to go. Thanks for inviting us!" She grabbed my wrist and pulled me out the door, an action that was becoming all too familiar. I somberly waved bye and said thanks as he said your welcome, waving back. And a smirk, of course. Before I knew it, Aimee had me rushing to the car and closing the door, her mother coming in moments later. "I knew it."

"Aimee, let me explain first-"

"Why? I don't care what story you've come up with, this is perfect!"

"No, here's what happened..." I trailed off, telling her all the details, not bothering to be careful and leave the personal stuff out, feeling exhausted, empty, and missing something the whole time. Her mother listened and added the occasional comment, taking everything seriously. Her mother was just like that. When I finished, Aimee fired question after question, until we got her house and even then we laid in bed and still asked questions. She got on her computer and I was left to my own thoughts. I considered tomorrow's game, wondering if things were going to be awkward or not. I tried to focus on sleep, because I'd need it for tomorrow, but I had instantly become an insomniac, the thoughts growing more and complicated, piling on top of each other. Eventually I fell asleep at about 3 am, feeling as if I could just float away. So much was cleared up, but more questions just filled their place. I put music on and slept, my slow song playlist on repeat. Marianas Trench's "Porcelain" began.

"You thought by now, you'd have it figured out

You can't erase the way it pulls, when seasons change

It hurts sometimes to find where you begin

You are perfect porcelain

The slow and simple melody

Of tears you cannot keep from me

It's alright if you don't know what you need."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

daw :'> that was fun. haha :P sorry my chapters have been so damn long lately. but at least I gave you something sort of exciting to read C: rememeber, vote and comment! love ya'll!

Allie