Chapter 29 - Derek

I heard a chocked gasp as Maddy clutched her stomach and crouched. I was still concerned about the ball, wondering where the hell it may have ricocheted off to, but it was already up field when the whistle sounded. I hesitated a moment, watching as Grayson asked if she was alright and seeing him put a hand on her. She said she was ok. Okay. She's okay. Why didn't I ask? There was only a few minutes left, the goal wouldn't have mattered. I tore my gloves off and met up with Wyatt, walking back towards the bench. Why am I so jittery?

People had already started filing out, but I knew mom would be late. I talked to Wyatt for awhile before he left, then headed towards a picnic table Maddy was sitting at. Maybe this is my chance.

My phone buzzed. I checked the message, some drunken, nonsense text from Max. I tried to decipher, but a hand smacked my phone away from me, falling into the grass. I immediately looked up to find none other than Maddy.

"What the hell is wrong with you!"

"What...what is wrong with me?" I asked. I stared at her in disbelief, slowly, slowly fraying my last nerve. Here we go again. "You've got to be kidding with me right now." I threw down my bag, yelling at the sky, "THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME! THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME GOD, PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS!"

My last nerve had snapped.

My shoulder was flung back around as Maddy made me face her. "You can't fucking leave me hanging like this!" She shouted.

"What are you talking about!?" I shouted back. I'm so sick and tired of this.

"Why won't you talk to me about this? Why won't you man up--"

"Excuse me?" I stepped forward. Oh god, she had the nerve to tell me to man up? "Well, if I remember correctly, you're the one who didn't want to talk about it, you're the one who refused to communicate with me. I kissed Scarlet. It happened. I get suspended for you, I ran miles because you BETRAYED me, I lose sleep over you, and, I try to talk to you about it but you won't hear a word of it."

I heard my heavy breathing and saw the hatred in her. I can't take anymore of this. "What were you going to tell me? You tripped and your tongue fell into her mouth?! WHAT EXPLANATION IS THERE?!"

"DAMMIT MADDY!" I yelled, louder than I ever thought possible. My throat burned from the effort.

I faced the field. Maddy didn't respond. I needed to calm down. I needed to regulate my breathing and let my brain catch up to the events that had unravelled in the last four minutes. I'm just exhausted. I'm exhausted of fighting with her and falling in love at the same time. Weary, exhausted, empty, numb. I sighed deeply, and made one last attempt. "I just -"

Maddy hit my hand away from her arm. She said darkly, "Don't you dare touch me."

And that was it.

I looked at her for a moment, a last intimate time, until her accusations came running back through my mind. I controlled my voice, making sure not to waver: "I'm done."

Her pupils dilated. "Wh-what? W-what did you say to me -"

"I'm done. I can't do this anymore." I stated. I can't look at her. Pull away Derek, stop, let it go.

I tore myself from her gaze and picked up my things, heading towards mom's car. My heart beat rapidly, and the burning in my throat disappeared. There was no turning back.

<^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^>

I ripped up my plans on Saturday. I deleted the number, washed the hoodie, anything and everything to get her out of my mind. I couldn't even think her name.