Chapter 37 - Derek

I pulled the jersey over my head and handed it to Wyatt, along with my gloves. He shifted his weight from foot to foot, obviously excited. "Tear 'em and I'll kill you," I warned him.

"Let anything by that'll make me look like a wuss and I'll kill you."

"Deal."

I turned around, catching Maddy's eye. "The tables have turned, haven't they Maddy?" I asked. She just laughed and rolled her eyes at me, facing the other team once again. I resisted the urge to just go up and talk to her, considering the fact I was at sweeper for the time being and honestly had no idea what the hell I was supposed to do. That game started back up, and I simply observed.

Things were quite boring, considering that we were up by three. I was right about us being a different team however, and not just because we were all in different positions. I felt like a tight-knit family more than anything else, like I could tell my darkest secrets to anyone and it wouldn't matter. They could tell everyone on the team and it wouldn't matter; we were that close.

I drifted back to talk to Wyatt. "Having fun?" I asked, still keeping an eye on the field, but the ball was way down at the other end.

"Thrilling position, goalkeeper. This is literally what you do the entire game?"

"Yep. Pretty sweet deal, if I say so myself."

"I'll pay you to switch me positions."

I laughed. "Take that up with Dublin and your mother first."

He chuckled, messing with the gloves. His eyebrows wrinkled in confusion as he brought them closer to his face. "No wait, don't -" I started.

"Jesus, when's the last time you washed these, Derek? They smell like rotten eggs in, in a used diaper."

"I didn't get a chance before leaving. I usually do, I swear."

"I hope so. I would be amazed if Maddy still hung around you if your hands smelled like this after practice. Speaking of which -" He paused to look me in the eye. "How is your girlfriend?"

I kicked the dirt, checking to make sure the ball was still at the other end. "She's not my girlfriend, we're just...together."

"Well you've got to ask eventually. Or else she'll be in relationship limbo too."

"Relationship limbo?"

"She won't know what to call you and you'll both be just sort of wandering around in something that isn't quite a relationship and more of a friends-with-benefits kind of deal." He rushed to add, "Not actual friends with benefits."

I pondered the thought. "What do you do then? Just say, 'Hey, wanna be my girlfriend?' " I responded.

"...Yes. That's exactly what you say. Are you nervous?"

"No." He looked me in the eye, giving it all away.

"You are! What a twist. Never thought I'd see such a fragile side of you." I turned back to the field, trying to ignore him. Was not. "Well, before you met Maddy. Man, what a roller coaster." I went to protest again, but saw the ball bouncing around mid field.

I ran up to defend and try to catch the other team offsides. Maddy got in a run down with a wing, which ended up in a shot Wyatt easily caught. His proud smile made me smile the slightest.

He punted it back up, and I continued digging my toe into the grass, thinking about it. The very thought sounded absolutely terrifying for some reason. It was a few measly words, but I don't why I couldn't even mouth them. There was no way I'd be able to look Maddy in the eye and say them, no matter how simple the concept of a girlfriend and boyfriend is.

A whistle sounded, and I thought the game was over, but a direct kick was called. We were all in weird positions, so no one really knew who was supposed to kick it. Looking over at Coach, she set her eyes on me, pointing to the spot upfield. I pointed to myself, making sure, and she nodded. I started to jog up, realzing it was in a perfect spot for me and my new found shooting range. Going past Maddy, I said to her, "Upper left." If it went in, fantastic, if not, whatever. That would be my aim though, and I would love to see the look on Maddy's face if it went in.

I set up the ball and backed up. Raising my hand to signal the offense to rush, I ran and shot towards the upper left. I was almost certain is was too far right, but the goalie was too short to get a hand on it as it sailed right where I wanted it to. I laughed a little. I just scored. Huh. Turning to Maddy, I put on my best smirk. She fought a smile and headed back to her position, stunned expression priceless.

There wasn't much play time until the whistle sounded again, maening the end of the game. I walked towards the front of line as Wyatt cut in front of me, about to say something but forgot he had the goalie jersey on for once. After shaking hands, we all headed back to pick up our bags. We weren't to be back at the field until two, meaning we had more than two hours to do whatever. I met up with Dad.

"That was a great goal, I didn't know you could shoot."

"Thanks, I didn't know either." He laughed. I looked around.

"Where's Mom?"

"She's talking with an old friend of hers. Here, I want you to meet Mr. Farrow."

A very tall, very buff middle aged man appeared next to Dad in khakis and a black polo embroidered with Mansfield Schools. He held out his hand and I tried to shake it as sincerely as possible. "Hello." I said.

"Hey, I enjoyed watching you play, even though you didn't get much action. That was a fantastic shot."

"Thank you." I replied.

He laughed a little and said to Dad, "Such a polite boy you've got." He turned back to me. "Listen, I'd love to come and see another game against some real competition for you."

I looked at Dad, egging me on. "Um, well, we've got one against Wellington at two-thirty and Bridesdale at seven later tonight."

"Wellington! They're a good team, I'll defnitiely be there. Good luck to you."

I almost wanted to say that I had a team I played with and I was not just a one man show, but bit my tongue and smiled as I shook his hand again.

"This is great, I didn't even meet that guy before. He was busy scouting a wing from Hoover and talked to you instead!" His excited smile made me a little nervous.

"Yeah, it's great. Um, I think Mom needs to talk to you." He looked over at her, waving her hand towards the group of parents figuring out what to do.

He slapped my shoulder. "Alright, we'll talk more later."

He walked off, and I towards Maddy. Her mother had just left to go join the other parents when I walked up beside her. "Hey." I smirked at her, waiting for her to congratulate me on my goal. She looked confused for a second, but after realizing it she punched me in the arm. "You are such a narcissist."

I laughed at her. "Did I not call it? I honestly didn't think it'd go in. Admit it though, that was hella smooth."

"I'm not saying it." She stated, her smile saying otherwise.

"Hi again, Derek." I looked to where the oddly familiar voice was coming from, finding the blonde from the elevator and one of her cohorts. My hands started to sweat nervously.

"Uh, hi."

"Who's your friend?"

"I'm Maddy, and I can speak too." I could see the anger growing in her eyes, knowing I had to stop this before it would get any worse.

The blonde plastered on a smile. "Wonderful to meet you." She turned to me again. "Anyway, I was wondering if you'd like to hang out with us for a little. Get to know you a little better. I didn't know you were related to thee Max Weaver, you should've told me." Her hand pushed my arm and I pulled it back a little.

"Yeah. I've actually got...um, plans. Thanks though...?" I couldn't remember her name.

"Lacey." I shook her hand carefully. "I'm from the Oxford gynmastics team. I'm supporting my brother here. You met me in the elevator?"

"...Lacey then. Yeah, yeah, thanks for the offer." I let go of her hand. She wasn't that bad, I guess.

"You're welcome. We should really meet up sometime though, maybe for dinner later tonight since you're busy now?"

I was about to reject again, but Maddy butt in. "Alright, listen here. Back off, he's mine if you can't tell."

Stunned at her level of anger, the blonde responded, "Oh! I am so sorry!"

"It's ok-"

"That's just so hard to believe someone like him would date someone like...you." The girls eyes narrowed at Maddy, slowly, slowly smiling at her in triumph. Now, she was making me mad.

"Run." I heard Maddy whisper.

The blonde's expression changed to one of worry and terror. "What?"

"You heard me. Run, bitch."

Like hunters from a hibernating bear, both of them slowly backed away from us. Maddy stomped once, and they started sprinting away. I let out the breath I was holding.

"What the hell?!" She shouted, catching me off guard.

I immediately started pleading with her, I just couldn't lose her now, especially not like this. "I'm sorry! I didn't think I'd see her again!" I felt scared like never before, because Maddy wasn't changing her expression. Oh no, oh no. "I had a similar thing happen to me that happened to you with that guy, I, I just didn't want to tell you, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, please, I didn't know she'd be here or try and hit on me or be so uncalled for towards you, you've got to believe me Maddy, I will get on the ground if I have to, please please please..."

Her face didn't change one bit.

"Fine. Okay, okay. I'm getting down." I took off my soccer bag, slowly getting to my knees. "Madeline Joelle Gray, I swear on all that I hold dear to my heart, that I -"

"I believe you."

"Never did - what?"

"I believe you. You can get up now, you look absolutely ridiculous." I heard laughter of teammates as I started to turn red. Maddy, playing games again. In all honesty, I was a little mad she'd embarrass me like this, but had my own idea.

"You truly are the devil spawn."

"I'm sorry. That was so hilariously embarrassing, I'm -"

I forcefully pulled her into me, kissing her long and slow in front of the small group of teammates. I didn't care, but I knew Maddy would. After pulling away, I said, "Now we're equally embarrassed."

Her face turned an almost impossible shade of red, making me feel better. I almost wanted to laugh, but Aimee came and interrupted us. "You guys should have your own movie. I would totally watch it."

"That makes me slightly uncomfortable, Aimee." I said in a nonchalant tone, Maddy still beat red. "What you're suggesting is stalking my personal life."

"I wouldn't say that...just taking a special interest." There was some laughter. Maddy looked over at her mom, saying quick goodbyes and heading over. I looked after her, wanting to pull her back and kiss her again, and hug her and smell her vanilla-scented self and feel her soft skin. But she was busy talking with Hannah and her mother.

Reluctantly, I returned to the conversation. Aimee was talking to Wyatt about Mayday Parade signing up for Warped Tour, so I talked to Kendall about upcoming school for a little bit with Dakota. The two looked like brother and sister with almost the exact same shade of blonde hair, but defnitely had different personalities. Kendall was more intoverted and reserved, and Dakota was very outgoing. We kept talking as people wandered off one by one, discussing the teachers and the classes we'd have to take. I heard Mom call my name, waving me towards her. I said a quick bye to both Kendall and Dakota, and headed over.

"Did you bring any dress clothes by chance?" She asked out of the blue.

"Dress clothes? Why?"

"I completely forgot about the banquet that's on Wednesday night. A bunch of people are headed to the mall because they forgot too." She started walking with Dad towards the car. I jogged up to them.

"Wait, do I have to go?"

"I don't know what size you wear in anything anymore. Plus, you've probably grown."

I opened the door to the backseat and dug out headphones as the car started. This would be fun.

<^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^>

"This is stupid."

"It's just a tie."

"Ties are stupid." I pulled at the puke-green noose, loosening it a little and allowing myself to breath. Wyatt stood against the door way, texting Aimee I would assume.

Mom came back. "No, you can't loosen it so much. It looks sloppy." She tightened it again, and I let out a choked noise. She threw her hands up as I went to loosen it once again. "You're just like your father." She left, looking for more combinations of dress shirts, ties, and pants. I picked the next tie off a pile Mom had left me, seeing it was red and very oddly shaped. I immediately put it back down; no way would I be able to tolerate a bow tie.

"Oh c'mon. Try the bow tie." I turned to find none other than Aimee standing next to Wyatt. I faced the mirror again, wondering where she had even come from.

"It'll suffocate me."

"Do it. You'll look like Matt Smith."

I grudgingly pulled the regular tie loose and off my neck, wrapping the bow tie around. "Do you just tie it like a regular bow?" I asked.

"Here I'll do it." Maddy walked up to me and took the ends, crisscrossing them and strategically tying the thing around my neck. Focused, I took the chance to admire her hazel eyes and perfect features again, also wondering where the hell she may have come from. But hey, I wasn't going to complain.

She adjusted the bow tie a little and looked up at me to smile. I forgot about the choking feeling. "There."

Checking the reflection and feeling like I looked absolutely ridiculous, Aimee whispered to Maddy, "He really does look like The Doctor."

I turned and pretended to whip out a sonic screwdriver. "You'll never get me, you bloody daleks!" I said in a thick British accent, stabbing at Aimee. I had never watched Doctor Who, but have heard plenty about it. Aimee, Wyatt, and Maddy laughed, but I noticed Maddy chew her bottom lip, messing with her hands, scanning me up and down with a look of longing and desperation in her expression. Oh, she wanted me. Aimee glanced over at her, then back to me with raised eyebrows. Was I suddenly more desirable with this bow tie or did she just have a thing for them? I didn't know, but she had noticed my staring and started to turn red.

I faced back around. Untying the bow tie, unbuttoning my shirt, and untucking it from my belt and pants, I took a deep breath. "I hate dressing up," I said, throwing the thing back into the pile. "It's such a hassle." I put my hand in the pockets of the khakis I had on, examining the reflection once again. The plain black dress shirt was all wrinkled at the bottom, along with the sleeves I had pushed up. Mom came back, looking at me with that motherly-disappointment face.

"I don't know what to do with you."

"Let us dress him!" Aimee said, piping up. Before I could protest, Mom had already cheerfully agreed and was skipping away to the women's department. The three of them glanced mischievously between each other, then split off in different directions before I could tell them any of my preferences. I sat and moaned, knowing they wouldn't just bring back black sweatpants and a plain t shirt. This was going to be painful.

After maybe five minutes, Wyatt came back with a pile of clothes. Shit brown pants, ugly bright yellow shirt, and a plain red tie. I automatically responded, "I'm not wearing that."

"I know, just put it on."

"Why?"

"Just do it, I want to show Aimee and Maddy." He laughed to himself, and confused, I took the pile and went back into the dressing room. After changing, I didn't realize what he had done. All I needed was a Krusty Krab hat and a spatula.

"Are you serious Wyatt."

I heard him laugh, along with the girls. "Come on out, they want to see." More laughter.

In the ridiculous Spongebob-esque get up I stepped out and threw my hands up. "Ha-ha. Very funny. Next, please."

They ignored me as their chuckles turned into loud cackling. I fought smiling as they continued to laugh hysterically, determined to keep looking annoyed. Aimee sneakily snapped a picture, and I hurried back into the dressing room to avoid any more. "I'm done, no more options. I'm wearing sweatpants."

"C'mon Derek, Aimee actually has something good," I heard Maddy say as I started to switch back into my uniform again. She tossed a gray shirt and tie over the door. "Trust us with this one. And put your khakis and belt back on." I harshly pulled the clothes into the room, switching back into the khakis and pulling the plain gray dress shirt on. I did the tie, loose enough to where I was comfortable, and stepped back out of the dressing room.

"Hey, this actually isn't that bad, guys." I said, examining myself once again in the mirror. I turned, but only Maddy stood, smiling at me. Wyatt and Aimee were busy chasing each other up the escalator like little kids. "Well, Maddy then." She laughed.

"I agree, you look sharp." She started undoing the cuffs and rolling my sleeves up to my elbow, undoing the top two buttons and adjusted my thin, black tie. "There. This is perfect." Her eyes scanned down me again, obviously enjoying dressing me up.

I smirked at her. "Like what you see?"

Maddy messed with my tie again. "I do, actually." She sighed, fixing the collar. "You look really attractive dressed up."

"Thanks. What have you got to wear?" I asked. She stopped her collar-fiddling to look up at me. "Well?"

"I kind of want it to be a surprise."

"Surprise?" I asked, intertwining my fingers in hers, still fixed on my collar. "It's not some skin-tight party dress, is it?"

"Of course not...you just haven't seen me all dressed up before."

I frowned. "But now you've seen me dressed up."

"And I like it." Her smile made me grin, but I still was a little sad. I wanted to shock her a little, if she was going to shock me. She'd be beautiful in anything, I know that, but what was so different about this dress she has for Wednesday?

"Yeah, but...now I want to shock you."

She laughed shyly. "I'm sorry. If you want, I'll show you my dress."

"No, no..." I looked at the small pile of rejects, a red striped tie, the puke green one, royal blue checkered one, shiny gray one, and the red bow tie. Focusing on it, I got an idea. "No. It's fine. I'm going to pick something else out once you leave." I started to smile, thinking about bow ties. They weren't all that bad. And I couldn't forget the look on her face when I had that ridiculous bright red one on.

"Okay, okay. I've got to go anyway, Mom and Hannah are calling me. Bye, see you later."

"Later." I waved as she walked away, but remembered something. "Wait!" I called. She turned around, phone on her ear.

"What?"

I shriveled up again. "Never mind. See you."

Looking confused, she waved back and returned to her call, walking out. I exhaled, undoing the plain black tie and putting it with the other rejects. I had to get a bow tie, I knew I had to see that look on her face again I could tease her for. And then she'd pull me away somewhere and we could talk alone. And maybe make out.

I kept the khakis and white shirt and found a plain black bow tie in no time, thankfully. I went to find Mom with my pile of stuff. She was already in the checkout line, with a dress for herself and shoe box. I figured they were heels, but the label read Vans. "Mom, are you buying Vans?" I asked, a little confused.

She jumped around. "Oh! Good, you finally settled on something. And yes -" She glared at me. "Because someone's are stained and falling apart at the seams."

I sheepishly smiled, shrugging my shoulders. "I'm sorry?"

"It's alright, you need school shoes anyway. Let me see what you have." We switched piles, and I checked out my new shoes. Classic black, white laces, perfectly intact. I wanted to just put them on and run around. Vans are the best shoes the world has to offer.

Mom's perky voice interrupted my thoughts. "Bow tie? Very classy. For Maddy I'm guessing?" We moved up in line.

"Uh, no."

She looked at me and I smiled sheepishly again. She knew I was lying, but didn't say anything. "As long as you'll wear it." We moved up to the counter, and I help her set everything down on the counter. Dad came back with a triangle shaped box from Sbarro and a grilled chicken salad from Subway. He was busy eating a burger as the lady handed Mom the bags, which she then handed to me. Grudgingly I carried them, taking my pizza from Dad. Mom was headed to the food court, but Dad gestured down a wing.

"No time, kid's got to be there in ten minutes."

"Ten minutes?!" I asked. It had taken fifteen to get here.

"Yep, let's get going."

The three of us headed back out to the parking lot, Dad and Mom still busily talking (or arguing) about something or other, even after Dad got into the driver's seat and turned on the ignition. Speeding down the freeway, I was left to my thoughts again as I ate my pizza. What was next?

Wellington. I nearly choked on my pizza, remembering the bet. We didn't have to win, but if I let in one goal against them someone else would get to see Maddy all dressed up before I did. More specifically, that jerk that I wanted to beat senseless, if the tournament weren't on the line. I tried to reassure myself, but there was no way to get rid of the nerves and underlying anger. Maybe if I focused more on the anger the nerves wouldn't get to me...but I had to get over the nerves first. And a scout was coming, oh, how could I forget about that? If I did manage to pull off a shut out, I at least knew the scout would be very impressed.

I jogged to field six, where everyone was already stretching. "Where were you?" Coach Reed asked, waiting with a ball.

"Bathroom," I stated, not wanting to say the mall. "Sorry."

"Not a problem, we've just got to get you warmed up." She tossed the ball to me as I caught it, playing a simple game of catch to get into the swing of things. After that I'd have to get on the ground and catch the ball, then go do punts, then back in the goal box for long range shots with Wyatt, and then the offense did short range shots until we were called in.

I took the time to glance at the other team. They all looked like they sixteen instead of fourteen: muscular, tall, and skilled. The douche goalie was doing his own warm up, when someone called for a ball from him. "Hey, Lance! Ball!" I scoffed. Lance. Who names their kid Lance. I felt like someone needed to inform his parents their child was American and not some exotic European. Nonetheless, I focused on making this the best warm up I could.

After punts, Wyatt got a ball and started shooting. I didn't be lackadaisical on any shot; I didn't back down from anything. I took one hard to the stomach, but shook it off and kept going. Remember what rides on this. Remember what rides on this.

The offense got in a line as they would pass a ball straight forward to Wyatt, just above the 18, and he would lightly tap it out as they went in for a shot just inside the box. Oliver was up first. Wyatt kicked to his dominant side, the right. Oliver looped way out, so I cheated a step to the right. His kick went a little above my face, but I hit it down and tossed the ball back to him. Left footed Aimee was next and Wyatt purposefully kicked it to her right. It was a hard grounder, but a dive solved it. Every shot, I calculated, I predicted, I acted. Nothing, nothing, nothing could go in. And I hadn't realized it, but not one shot did.

Coach gathered us all, naming starters. I got a drink of water and tried to calm down a little bit. It's completely okay. Another game you'll be an impenetrable wall, remember Derek? Brick wall. Collectively, we shouted the usual Ashcrest Tigers, and headed out to positions. There was an unusual amount of people in the stands however, adding to my nervousness. I spotted the scout from earlier, and another man that looked like a scout also but he was sitting on the Wellington side. I tried to motivate myself. Give him a reason to look over here, give him a reason to forget why he wanted to see Wellington in the first place, I thought. The refs called out their routine "Keeper, ready?", and I raised my hand, ready for the battle.

The whistle cut through the air and they took off with the ball. They got past the forwards, but Jarod intercepted a pass and sent it to Zane, playing right outside mid. He dribbled by the other wing, but the defender stopped him in his tracks. Oliver called for it, but Zane passed too late and their stopper moved the ball up towards us.

It was rough. Where they lacked in skill, we made up in speed, where we lacked in communication, they made up in physicality. Honestly, this was probably the most evenly matched team we've played so far. Things barely ever got in either attacking third, Maddy relentlessly keeping her defense up to catch them offsides. She may be dangerously independent, but knew what she was doing with the defense. A wing ran past Sam, but Maddy instructed him to stay up as he wandered three steps offsides. The ball was passed, the flag up, and a kick called. Maddy took it, sending it deep down the line to Aimee. Aimee wasn't able to beat the defender to it as he kicked it to a center mid, who weaved his way through the confusion, passing it off before Jarod could get to him. The forward pointed up as our defense moved back, continually fighting the approaching offense. I kept my eye on the ball and my position as a wing dribbled down the outside of the 18, looking to cross. With sudden speed, he pulled past Sam and cut in around the 18. He glanced at the goal, and I started to back up when he kicked it in a perfect rainbow towards my back left corner.

I knew what to do with these shots, but it was always a gamble. I backed up and jumped as high as my legs would possibly allow, feeling as if I was being stretched like Mike Teavee in Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory. The ball tipped off my fingers and flew outside the goal, out of bounds. Landing, I wasted no time in instructing people where to go as they hastily went to set up for a corner kick. Catching all of us off guard, the kick went up. It was a more straight shot into the mess of people, but one of their players ended up to the left of the penalty spot, winding up. I sprinted from the left post towards the right as ball came nearer, in what felt like slow motion. It hit off the middle of my hands, still not in the goal, and I pulled the ball in as I landed on the unforgiving ground. I was feeling slightly winded, but I picked myself up and went out to punt it, finding Oliver cutting to space on the right. Too close, it was all too close. Either of those could've been Maddy and Lance at 8:00 tomorrow night.

Shaken up, I watched the ball stay on the other half for a good five minutes. I took the chance to glance at the scouts, but Dad's thumbs up caught my eye. I gave him an acknowledging nod, turning my attention back to the game. Things were extremely deep in their half. Oliver, stuck in trouble, passed it out to Zane who went for the long shot. It hit off the crossbar, and Kendall ran towards it. A defender kept his distance staying in front of him as Kendall did nothing but play with it. Hyped up, the defender lunged and Kendall cut towards the goal, shooting and scoring in a matter of milliseconds. The cheer was deafening.

The entire offense went to congratulate him as I watched the goalie, Lance, still laying on the ground with his hand curled up into a fist. He dramatically hit the ground and got up, kicking the ball to his stopper who kicked it up to midfield. I looked to Maddy, who rolled her eyes. She mouthed "drama queen", and I laughed, nodding in agreement. I would've loved to have his little tantrum on tape though, to commemorate the moment.

I had a few more saves, less frightening ones (except for a rocket of a direct kick; that almost knocked me off my feet), and then half time was called; score still 1-0. Everyone was in high spirits, congratulating Kendall as he thirstily got water into our systems. Coach Dublin tried to calm us down. "Alright, alright, alright, good job everyone. Excellent goal Kendall, great movement Sam and Jarod. Wings, the crosses have been fantastic. Maddy, you've done an excellent job keeping your defense up. And Derek, oh, thank god we have a hell of a keeper." I smiled as agreement went up, people congratulating me on my saves. I reveled in the moment. Yeah, I was pretty good at this goalie thing, I suppose.

She went on, naming things to improve on as far moving the ball more to open people and calling for it. Lance looked absolutely furious with himself and everyone around him. He sure was one drama queen, as I watched him yell at one of the defenders. That's no way to treat a team member, and I've learned that through experience.

The one minute warning came up and we did our usual cheer again, heading back out to positions. I re-strapped my gloves, feeling hungry for more competition. We started out with ball this time as Oliver weaved through people. Things bounced around midfield, then ended up coming our way. Someone kicked it behind the play, and Maddy sprinted side by side with a forward towards the corner. I yelled for the outsides to come back as I waited for any cross that might come through. As predicted, it flew up and was about to land right on top of the goal box on an opponent's waiting head, but I yelled "Mine!" and snatched it from the air while pushing the guy out of the way. I punted the ball towards Heather now, watching her use her incredible speed to take off down the sideline. As I watched, the player I had pushed bumped into my shoulder from behind. "Watch it." I said as he brushed me off and continued sauntering to midfield, waiting for the ball again. This whole team was just a barrel of douchebags, weren't they?

Heather had gotten the ball down into the attacking third, looking for a cross or pass. Aimee called for it wildly back post, as Heather used her speed to cut in again and quickly cross it over heads to Aimee. She was running to try and volley it in, but the goalie had stepped out to catch it. Momentum to carried, Aimee ran into him, but I saw his elbow go up and hit her in the nose, knocking her to the ground. She rolled over, and he had punted it when the whistle was called.

From a distance I couldn't really see much, but Mark worriedly waved a coach on. She was cupping a hand under her nose, so the bastard had to of made her bleed. That elbow was completely intentional! Why didn't the refs yellow card him yet or something? Aimee walked off and Carter came in for her.

Angry shouts of parents made me turn my attention back to the goalie, who was arguing with the ref that was signaling a penalty kick. The ref ignored him as Lance continued to shout and scream about how ridiculous the call was. Nonetheless, he waited for a kicker. Kendall stepped up and set the ball on the penalty line, as perfect as possible. This had to be a goal, without a doubt. He never misses.

Everything in place, the suspense growing, the ref blew his whistle as Kendall shot. The Lance kid had guessed the correct side, the ball hitting off his hands, then the post, then back into his arms. Cheers erupted from the Wellington side as Kendall jogged back, trying not to look fazed. You could tell he was disappointed in himself though.

The game went on in growing tension as things got even more physical than before. They were desperate for a goal, and they shot every chance they could. I kept my composure, not being lazy on any shot or fumbling with a ball. I just had to get through the half.

Punting it back up, a center mid got in front of Mark for the ball, as it rolled to a forward. Maddy was yelling for her defense to step up, and the forward got past Wyatt and was approaching Maddy now. I saw it - the defense just getting into line with Maddy, the jerkish forward from before stepping past her, and the other forward passing it up to him. With only me in the way.

I shuffled back, confused as to where the offsides call was. There were yells and cheers and the guy came inside the 18. I rushed, and the shot hit off my hands, hit the left post, and went in.

Tweet. Goal, Wellington. Number 4, Jack Faire. Assist by Matt Heestand. Score, 1 Ashcrest, 1 Wellington.

"No." I said to myself, still staring at the ball. "No, no, no..." I picked myself up, not being able to believe I was getting the ball from the net right now. Maddy was going on a date with that Lance kid at 8:00 tomorrow night, they're going to fall in love, and I'll be left on the side of the road like a beer bottle. Maddy would forget me, dump me, and go after this Lance guy without a second thought. I imagined the two sitting across from each, listening attentively, making small talk, leaning in, eyes closed, Maddy in some absolutely gorgeous dress with her hazel eyes and chestnut hair that smelled like vanilla, the voice that had captivated me from the start...it can't be happening. This can't be happening right now, or I'm going to pass out.

An aggressive whistle tweet made me turn, finding the field ref furiously crossing his arms back and forth. "No goal! Offsides!"

"WHAT?!" The other team's coach yelled. "ARE YOU KIDDING ME? ARE YOU BLIND, SIR?" The mix of angry spectators, players, and coaches all mixed together until the ref roughly took the ball from my hands and set it where the player had stepped past Maddy and received the ball. He shot his arm out towards their goal, and tweeted his whistle again. Slightly confused, Maddy took the kick where the game resumed. The other team's coach kicked what looked like his satchel up in frustration. "RIDICULOUS! ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!"

Jarod got a chance to score, but the goalie saved it, looking as defeated as ever. It went left towards Zane, and I saw him look longingly at Maddy. Not today, Lance. Not today.

The game ended a few moments later, us winning. Aimee spun Maddy around and hugged her, Heather laughing a Dakota jumping up and down on Kendall's arm. Ecstatic, we lined up to shake hands. I cut in the front, starting us off. Lance didn't make eye contact or say a word to me, neither did the other players. I continued walking, ripping off my gloves and tearing my grass-stained jersey off. The rest of the team came, talking excitedly. I picked up Maddy's water bottle and handed it to her as she breathed heavily, hand on her hip. She eventually took a drink, but looked at me suspiciously while letting her water bottle drop to the ground and hug me.

"Oh my god. We did it."

"Yes we did."

"I was so scared, I was so scared after that you had no idea -"

Coach cut us all off as Maddy separated quickly. "Wow. Nice, nice win tigers. You know, I'm thinking we can take this thing all the way." Cheers went up. "Be back here in about...three hours. 6:30." We all high fived and cheered again, picking up our things. Sweaty, tired, but triumphant.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

hi guys again! I just wanted to say that I've added some pictures and videos to past chapters. if you want, go check them out! :)