Chapter 14 - Maddy

Days later seemed like a lifetime to me. Saturday eventually came around, and I had already gathered everything I needed the night before. Including a special item that still had the faint linger of some sort of faint, indistinguishable cologne, something that suggested a resilient attitude. Something with a printed Weaver on the bottom and a 30 above it. Something I absolutely could not get enough of. Someone I couldn't get enough of.

"Maddy! Are you ready yet?" Mom yelled.

I flinched a little and shoved the rolled up hoodie at the bottom of my bag. "I'm coming!" I called back.

I slipped on sweatpants and threw my hair up in my signature messy bun. Bounding down the steps, I had an eager desire to get going as soon as possible.

"Alright, let's head out!" Mom said. Hadley and Hannah were coming to my game, but Dad had to stay with Drew. He knew he wouldn't be able to take the 40 minute car ride there and back. I was on the same page as Drew today.

The four of us piled in as I laid my legs out in the back, scrolling through music on my iPod, listening intently to the lyrics. I turned up my music to drown out the insistent chattering of the twins.

"When I caught myself

I had to stop myself

From saying something that

I should've never thought

Of you, of you, keep pushing and pulling me down..."

"Maddy, would you turn that music down?" Mom asked loudly.

"I will once those two can quiet down."

"That's tough for you then."

"Hannah," Mom gave her a disapproving look. "Just get along with her." Hadley snickered, and mom let out an audible sigh. "How can you girls be such polar opposites?"

"They say opposites attract."

"Not in this case." Mom and the girls laughed for a minute, Mom completely unaware of the devilish and suspicious grin my sisters were giving me. I turned back to my iPod, turning it down a notch out of Mom's request. The song I was listening to earlier ended. Almost robotically, I clicked the back button, hearing the intro all over again. I glanced at the time: 11:47.

"Mom, you do realize we're going to be an hour early to the field?"

"I know. There's a mall up there; we'll be meeting Aimee and her mother to go shop."

"That explains these two." I gestured to Hadley and Hannah.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Only come to my games when we're near a mall. Don't worry, I get it."

"That's not completely true."

I rolled my eyes. "Completely."

Mom cut us off by unlocking the doors. I stepped out into the warm sunlight, stretching and heading with the rest of my family towards the Sidera Mall entrance. We met Aimee and her mother at the food court, and it was off to the races for Hadley and Hannah. We mostly followed them around store to store, mothers picking up only a few things while Aimee was almost as bad as the twins.

"Oh, look at this top!" she exclaimed. The flowery, flowing fabric was soft in my fingers, but the bright colors drove me away from it.

"It's pretty. You should really get it." I said. "It would look nice on you."

"I meant it for you, Maddy." Aimee said. She continued to admire the top, setting it down and looking for her own size.

"It's not quite my style."

"Nothing's ever your style! You haven't picked up one thing this entire trip!" Aimee snatched another size from the rack, held it up against her, and slung it over one arm.

"There was the pack of gum I looked at."

"Doesn't count, you cow." Aimee playfully nudged my foot, the two of us giggling. She quickly turned serious again. "Next store, I pick out an outfit. No questions asked."

"But -"

"Nope." Frustrated and knowing I wasn't going to win this fight, I groaned and waited for her outside the store, now walking to American Eagle. It couldn't be more perfect; this was one of my favorite stores. Everything wasn't too flashy or bright, a perfect balance of functionality and simplicity.

I was drawn to a rack of aqua and white striped shirts when Aimee yanked my arm another way. "Hey, I was looking at those!" I exclaimed. She continued to drag me to the back of the store.

"See that top? That would look amazing on you." I looked to where she was pointing. A mannequin sported a forest green, 3/4 sleeve shirt. It was fitted just enough to define a figure but not cover it up. I was almost in love with it until I saw the lace cut outs on top of the shoulders, extending down the sleeve.

"No thanks."

"C'mon, your just scared to try something new." My independence issue kicked in again, forcing me to grab a small from the neatly folded pile. I asked for a dressing room and shut the door on one quickly. Aimee's distinct giggle echoed through the dressing room. "Knew you couldn't resist."

Ignoring the comment, I slipped off my t-shirt and pulled the green shirt over my head. The fabric was soft and light, easy to move around in and definitely comfortable. I took a deep breath. Looking in the mirror is when everything was usually ruined.

"How does it look?" Aimee asked. I continued to stare at this transformed version of me that was in the mirror. It was amazing, the effect one shirt could have. I had gone from some sort of not-caring, lazy girl to something you might see in one of Hadley and Hannah's magazines.

"It looks...good." I was about to step out to show her, but she blocked the door first.

"Put these on before you come out. I want to see the whole outfit together." A blur of denim was tossed over the door. I picked it up, expecting to feel more fabric.

"But these are shorts."

"Trust me. I promise they aren't short-shorts."

Anxious, I pulled on the shorts Aimee gave me. They slipped on fine, only coming to an end an inch or two before mid-thigh. They were rolled and had a few minuscule tears, giving the appearance that they were worn and trusted before. They didn't suffocate me, or were loose they were going to fall off. Still, Aimee gave me one last accessory.

"And this belt. It'll complete the look." I took the belt she dangled from the door and looped in through my new shorts. It was a wide, leathery, dark brown woven belt with a simple buckle that complimented the shirt. I scrunched the shirt up a little so you could see some of the belt. Finally, getting over my transformed appearance in the mirror, I stepped out to show Aimee. Instead, I met Derek's reflection in mirror down the hall.

"Wow Maddy, that looks absolutely gorgeous on you." Aimee appeared on my right, admiring her work. I was still too dumbstruck to say anything. "Why don't you check your self out in the mirror over there?" She pointed to the mirror down the hall. Anywhere but there. Anywhere but there.

Forcefully, Aimee dragged and pushed me to the mirror. "No, I know what I look like, please,"

"C'mon! You look beautiful!"

"Thanks, but please..." I drifted off as she finally placed me in front of the mirrors-one to the left, on on the right, and one right in front of me. With no reflection of Derek. "Must've imagined it." I thought, being able to relax. I placed my hand on my hip and posed for myself. I almost wanted to smile and laugh at the amazing transformation Aimee had given me. It was fun to pretend to be someone else for awhile.

"Don't she look gorgeous," I heard Aimee's voice say, drifting into a wistful sigh. "Why doesn't she wear this all the time."

"Beats me," a low voice said. I snapped around to find none other than Derek leaning against the doorway, giving me a smirk. "Finally showing some skin, are you?"

"No...no! No, it's not like that, I mean, I'm not like that, uh -" I suddenly felt uncomfortable with my exposed legs.

Derek snorted and rolled his eyes. "Oh, stop it. You look desirable for once."

My face flushed and I clenched a fist. I couldn't believe how rude he could be. "Thanks a lot." I said gruffly. A look of panic registered in his eyes.

"No, no I meant, uh, umm..." He drifted off at a loss for words. Aimee filled in.

"Nice? Pretty? Cute?" she chirped.

"Yeah."

"Gorgeous? Beautiful?"

"Mhm..."

"Attractive?"

"Yeah..." Derek drifted off this time, getting this far away look in his eyes. "All of that."

A silence settled in, Aimee sort of oblivious, me still processing everything, and Derek - finally - being the one to blush. I felt more confident and comfortable, but that stupid half-smile, that never perfect brown hair and those green eyes made my knees go weak, my heart pound, and my hands get clammy. The heat threatened to move to my face, but Aimee chirped up again.

"I told you, Maddy! You need to trust me more often. I'm good at this stuff," she picked at her nail polish. "I've got to get your sisters, at least." Aimee tore off through the store, getting easily distracted by a top every few steps. She disappeared behind a rack of skirts.

I shifted my weight from one foot to the other, contemplating what to do next. The adorable blush was gone, and now Derek was staring at me like some specimen on a scientist's petri dish.

"Quit staring at me," I said, turning towards the mirror. "It's rude."

Derek snapped out of his trance. "I'm sorry. Was I making you uncomfortable?"

"Yes, in a way." I stated, observing myself in the mirror.

"In a way?"

"It's comforting to know I'm not the only one who blushes." I remarked. Derek got a cold look.

"I didn't blush."

"Of course you did, don't try and lie to me. You act as if it kills you to give me a compliment."

"I can tell you it doesn't." There was a pause, I turned around to see Derek walking towards me. I shuffled a step back. "And I'm not the one who always blushes." He rested a hand on my hip and pulled me closer. My face warmed up, taking into account how anyone could see us right now. "Told you so."

I smacked his hand away. "Don't do that here!"

"Well then." Derek laughed. "Someone's got an attitude."

"Maybe I do," I turned to face the mirrors again, posing confidently. Attitude it would be then. "Only because you can really piss me off sometimes."

"Language now." Derek replied, face buried in his phone.

"Coming from you?" I responded.

"I don't always swear. In fact, you're the one who swears at me more often than not."

I put my hands on my hips. "Really. When."

"God dammit Derek? Remember that one?"

I faced the mirrors. "Well yeah...but you've sworn before too, so it doesn't matter."

"Whatever floats your boat."

A thought overcame me. "Hey, I have a question."

"Don't you always?"

I glared at his stupid smirk. "Anyways, I was wondering why I've never really met you before."

"What do you mean?"

"Like how we've been at the same school for three years, and I haven't spoken to you once. Never have been in the same class, never saw you at any sporting event or anything. Didn't even hear you speak until a week ago."

"And to make up for it all, you can't get enough of the sound of my voice, can you?" Derek responded smugly.

I stomped my foot, losing patience with his ego. "Would you stop interrupting?"

"Fine, I'll answer your question. But first off, I actually have spoken to you before. I had to remind you that you forgot your Language Arts binder one day in the hall before you were about to walk into class. And that answers the next question; I had Language Arts with you last year."

"Quit lying, no you didn't."

"100% serious right now."

"Shut up."

"No! We were in the same class."

"Why weren't you ever there then?" I questioned. He was lying. Had to be.

"...I was." Derek answered quietly. His sudden change of voice caught me off guard.

"Then why didn't you ever talk?" I responded, in a gentler tone.

"Because I didn't want people to think of me as some nerd. Or anyone to notice me, really."

"Why? And how can someone not notice you? I mean, you're one of the most attra-" I caught myself in my mindless rant. Talking to Derek had been becoming too easy. He had his full attention, waiting for me to finish the word. Eyebrow raised, smile growing, green eyes expectant. "Horrible and arrogant guys I've met." I finished. What a mistake.

Derek's expression quickly turned somber. "Thanks then," he mumbled, hiding his face in his phone again. I had never seen him seem so hurt. I wanted to take back my words again, every single one. Now I owed him again.

"Wait, I didn't mean it." I said desperately, grabbing his arm to get his attention again. Derek's eyes traveled up my lace covered arm, meeting my gaze. He still looked depressed.

"It's fine." Ever so slyly, a smug smile spread across his face. "I know I'm attractive."

I pulled my arm away and tried to frown, but I ended up smiling. "I hate you."

"I know that too." He winked.

"What about sporting events and dances?"

"I'm at those too. I play basketball in the winter and baseball in the spring."

"How did I never see you in the hallway?" A sudden revelation hit me. Maybe he was one of those guys that had every girl hanging off of his hip 24/7. "Are you just constantly surrounded by girls or what?"

Derek sighed. "Not like that."

My heart dropped. "How many 'girlfriends' have you had, then?" I persisted.

"N-not many."

"You can tell me, you know. I won't care." Ah, who was I kidding. I cared. A. Lot.

"Fine. None."

Again, I was absolutely stunned. "Are you serious?"

He sighed again. "Yes, I have never had a girlfriend. Alright?"

"But all your friends have-"

"I'm not my friends."

"But you're one of..." I drifted off, not wanting to offend him again. "Those guys. You know, like popular...and stuff."

Derek shifted his position against the door. He stayed silent, seemingly debating with himself.

"...Well?"

"Let me explain how this works then. Have you ever liked someone unattainable?"

I embarrassingly thought back to Kendall Fox. "Yeah, I guess."

"Did you end up liking them more and more because you couldn't have them?"

"Well, yes."

"How long was this crush?"

I hesitated. "T-three years."

His eyes widened. "Wow. You really cared about that person." Derek said softly, seemingly lost in thought.

I answered truthfully. "Yeah. A lot, I guess."

Quickly, he snapped back to reality, the mischievous smile playing across his face again. "See? As long as I'm considered 'unattaianble', then the more girls hang around me. And the longer you hang around someone, the more you get to know them and realize you're not interested." Another smirk.

I punched him in the arm; he just laughed. I still thought about the whole concept he explained to me. It was disrespectful, no doubt, but I wondered about myself. I had known him for...2 to 3 weeks, maybe? Only truly met him a week ago. How much does he know about me? There's only so much you can learn about a person in a week. But was he truly ''unattainable"? Wait...am I one of the girls he was carelessly flirting with? Was I girl who followed his every move? I convinced myself I wasn't, I shouldn't, I couldn't be.

Aimee had been gone for awhile, and we went to talk about the team we were up against, chatting like friends again. I still wondered how he could've been in the same class as me for nearly an entire year and I somehow forgot about it. And how many girls he's carelessly flirted with. And how he's never actually been in a relationship. The intense thoughts nearly made me sick. Finally, Aimee returned.

"See? Look how nice she looks!" Aimee said, Hadley and Hannah in tow.

"I must admit Maddy, I'm impressed with the stretch you've made."

"The color compliments you."

"And the shorts really show off your legs..." I waited for their in depth analysis of my outfit to be over. Out of the corner of my eye, Derek slipped away, helping his mom painstakingly carry a few bags. I considered calling him back, but the two disappeared.

"You think you're gonna buy it?" Mom asked, appearing in the doorway. I took another look in the mirror and at the price tags.

"I don't have enough for everything...I think I'll just get the shorts and belt." I stated, feeling bad for having to leave the top.

"Oh, it looks so nice on you, Maddy Pie. How bout I get the top?"

I didn't want to make her buy it, but I wanted it so desperately. "If you don't mind..."

"Oh, not at all, sweetie. You look so nice in that outfit. Aimee put it together?"

"Yes!" Aimee slipped beside me. "Yes, I did."

I returned to the dressing room and changed back into sweats, remembering I have a game in a little bit. I needed to concentrate now, not go around like some little supermodel. The fantasy girl you saw before needs to disappear and turn back into independent, fierce, center defender. Aggressive. Tough. Maddy.

All of us met outside after checking out, me carrying my new bag of clothes proudly in one hand. I couldn't wait to wear them, which was definitely a first. Aimee gradually dragged us behind everyone else, slowly putting more distance away from our parents. As soon as we were out of earshot, Aimee gave a subdued squeal, repeatedly hitting me in the arm.

"Ow, ow, quit it, quit it," I laughed, punching her back. "What's wrong with you?"

"Me? What the hell is wrong with you?"

I looked at her, puzzled. "What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about the fact you've got one of the hottest boys in our school wrapped around your finger, and you want absolutely nothing to do with him!" I hushed her, fearing my Mom would hear. I would of never heard the end of it if she did.

"No, we're just friends. Nothing more."

"Maddy! It...it's Derek Weaver, for god's sake. Remember 7th grade?"

"What?"

"Every girl was CRAWLING over him. Still was at the end of the year. He's on the hot list-"

"What list?"

"You, know the hot list. The list of the top ten guys every girl talks about at sleepovers and such...?"

"How come no one's ever discussed it with me at sleepovers?"

"Because you always fall asleep!" Aimee exclaimed. She was right; I haven't ever pulled an all nighter.

"Why is he even on the hot list though? We both know he's an ass."

"Who CARES, Maddy. He's athletic. He's got amazing hair. He's obviously got the best eyes, I mean, you've seen how green they are. And he's got the one of the best builds in the school. I heard he has a six pack..."

"Ok, this is getting weird."

"You just aren't used to girl talk."

"Yeah, guess not. But..."

"But what?"

"I guess I wouldn't mind to be more than friends, but being on the same soccer team makes it seem forbidden."

"What about after soccer season?"

"In the middle of October? After school starts? When every single girl would be after my blood?"

"True..."

"It's too long. Besides, I doubt he likes me back or would still have feelings for me by the end of 2 1/2 months. He hasn't even had a girlfriend before, so why would I be his first?" My thoughts and feelings were spilling out to Aimee. She noticed my downcast tone.

"Don't be so hard on yourself, Maddy. I don't think you realize how pretty you are sometimes, always wearing whatever makes you feel comfortable, and throwing your hair in a bun all the time. And god Maddy, can't I just take a little mascara and liner to your eyes?"

I had never given much thought to makeup. Mom's always told me I could borrow hers whenever, but it seems like so much work in the morning, and I just would never have the patience for it. "Well, I wouldn't want to look like a whore."

"You wouldn't if you'd let me do it. Just once. There's a big difference between accentuating features and covering your face in crayola."

I laughed at her comment, but I still couldn't feel optimistic. Again, Aimee noticed.

"What's on your mind?"

I focused on the stores we were passing. "He hasn't had a girlfriend because he likes to flirt."

Aimee paused, contemplating an answer. "So what if he does. Be the one girl he'd rather talk all day to."

"I can't. I can't compete with all the other girls we'll be seeing in September. Like Cassy Smith, Lexy Herbrook, and-"

"Don't you DARE say the last one."

"What? Scarlett Jones?"

"Gah, I can't stand her!" Aimee nearly shouted. Several people turned and stared.

"Why do you hate her so much?" I asked, laughing.

"She is such a bitch to absolutely everyone. She gets every guy she wants, has enough money to save a country, and yet spends more money for less fabric. And...and what happened with Grayson."

"You never even had the guts to talk to him!"

"She still stole him!" Aimee stated. I giggled a little, but we both felt forlorn again.

"Anyways...he's just complicated and unattainable."

"Maddy. I've seen the chemistry you two have got. I promise you...I swear there's something."

"Pssht. Something. Like Hunger Games tributes wanting to rip each other's head off."

"I doubt that. Just enjoy the fact he's all yours for the next month, at least. Before he finds some other empty brain and pretty face."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

yeah! Summer! more updates! :P thanks for keeping with this story again. alright, I'm going to say I will not finish it this summer, because I tend to do the opposite of what I say. And credits to Paramore for the lyrics from their song "I Caught Myself". So yeah! Keep readin' on :>

Allie