Chapter 19 - Derek

"Really? You never seemed like Sleeping With Sirens type."

"I just like All My Heart and Fire. They just...sound different. You know what I mean?"

"Yeah, I do. I really like the drum part in Fire."

"I know! You pay attention to all the parts? Most people just listen to the vocals."

"Well, I used to play percussion in band, so..."

"Really? That's sort of neat. Why'd you quit?"

"I don't know. It wasn't fun anymore. The director treated us like a bunch of idiots."

"I'm glad he was honest with you."

I stopped for a minute, holding my water bottle up to my mouth, backtracking the conversation. I grinned and took a drink, Maddy laughing at me. She took a drink from her own bottle as I picked up my things. "See you later."

"Later."

I walked off, confident and feeling at ease. The past four days had been pure bliss. Of course, I wanted to rip out my hair after Sunday's lost, but I just vowed to practice more, work harder, and get better. I wanted to be at the top of my game by the time I could play again. Absolutely nothing less.

It was maybe a little bit harder to focus now that I was officially going after Maddy. No, that makes it sound like more of a chore. It had become a second nature to talk her now; in fact, it was downright enjoyable. She was so down-to-earth and had a killer sense of humor. She could easily insult any idiot without them knowing it, and has taken jabs at me that I don't get until I'm about to fall asleep. That's what kept her on my mind, all the time. That and the need to talk to her again, over Facebook or before practice, and always after practice. It was some sort of drug, I swear, to hear her laugh and smile. To chat comfortably. To just talk, about anything and everything.

And the team was coming together. It's like we've come to a mutual understanding that we're working towards one goal, not going to make stops or take time to go over bumps. Everyone just sort of got along, mostly because no one felt like starting anything with anyone. Eventually, we all just became friends. Girls and guys alike. Everyone picked up on each other's techniques and ways they play the game along the way. I'm not sure what started the change and what the change exactly was, but I knew we were playing together a whole lot better.

I talked to Maddy a little bit before our early morning practice. I finally made a joke that made her take a moment, and I noted the date in my mind as an achievement, watching her steal my ball and take a shot that landed securely in the trademark left corner. She smirked back at me.

Coach gathered us together and set us off on a run, not taking many breaks between shooting drills, sprints, passing, sprints, foot skills, and more sprints. Ultimately, a brutal practice. Silently, all the guys were wishing that it would rain already. The clouds opened up during the last bit of practice, and we all just let loose, trying to throw people into mud. Nate and Carter had to ruin it though. They were the smallest players, and they willingly flung themselves in mud so we wouldn't. I still managed to give Oliver a good face full, but karma's a bitch and he got my shirt completely covered. There was going to be some punishment for this from mom, I know it.

Coach Dublin and Reed were laughing too much to be mad, and it was a Friday anyway, so they let us do whatever. Practice was officially done, and by a slight nod of the head, we all simultaneously tore off our soaked, muddy t-shirts in triumph and started up a game.

We had completely disregarded the girls until Wyatt had uncomfortably looked over to see Dakota and Aimee staring, pointing it out subtly to me. We still played on, but not as at ease. We completely forgot about them, and it wasn't something you did unless you were absolutely confident in yourself. I for one, wasn't. I felt skinny and awkward. I definitely wasn't the buffest, or the tannest, and probably not the best looking without a shirt. But the ball was coming closer, and my mind automatically cleared. I jumped to block it, not being able to grab it without gloves. It rolled to the right pass the group of arguing girls.

"Hey!" Zane called out. Maddy saw the ball and went to pick it up, turning towards the eleven of us.

"Maddy, here." I said quietly, hoping not to sound too tough. She looked at me, wide eyed and openly scanning me over. I have no idea what the hell you're supposed to do in a situation like this. Do you try and act cool? Do you just stand there? Do you make some sort of comment? I did option two: stand there like a loner and look uncomfortable, waiting for the ball back. Eventually, she gave it back and I quickly turned around and tossed it back out to the boys who immediately resumed their play. Taking a deep breath, I focused again on the game until the crunch of gravel signaled us that practice was over. Everyone headed over and I tried to blend in with the crowd. The usual bicker began.

"I would've had that goal, you know."

"No you wouldn't of, you dipshit."

"We'll settle this next practice then."

"Sure."

"So, the ladies enjoy the show?" Wyatt said, abruptly changing the conversation. The boys waited eagerly for the response, while I seemed to be the only one who noticed him talking directly to Aimee. The two of them had such similar outgoing personalities.

Aimee replied, unfazed. "No. We were talking."

"Yeah, you guys were trying to show off nothing." Heather added.

"Oh. I don't know about you, but I did." Dakota said, gathering her bag. Her bluntness stunned a few, but I was used to it. She always said what was on her mind.

"Shoot, hey any of you guys have clean shirt or hoodie or something? My mom isn't going to let me come near her with this." I said, holding up my caked shirt. She'd probably want to take a flamethrower to wherever my shirt might be, buried underneath this mud. I tried to wring it out, only to earn more laughter from everyone. No one had anything, and I knew mom would make me hose off or do something embarrassing instead of getting into her car like this.

Aimee spoke up, sticking a hand in her bag, shifting things around. "Wait, maybe I do. Ah, oh wait a minute..."

"Hey, that's my bag," Maddy said.

"I know, but you have this." Aimee held up the hoodie I had given Maddy a while ago, flamboyantly displaying my number and last name.

As everyone laughed and Maddy became embarrassed, I couldn't help but...but want to smile. To take a step closer. To maybe put a toe over the line, to raise some suspicion. To claim her a little. To say "She's mine, and here's the proof." I don't care if it wasn't official. It was enough for me, for the moment.

She was becoming increasingly embarrassed by the second, so I decided to step in. "Well, would you look at that. Toss it here, Aimee." She handed it over and I pulled it over my head, smiling to myself for a minute. I picked up all my things and grabbed my gloves.

"Would you care to explain, Derek?" Mark said, laughter quieting.

"What?" I said.

"Why Maddy has your hoodie?"

Kendall piped in. "Yeah, I'm starting to get suspicious about you two..."

Teammates laughed again. "Oh, we're only friends. She just borrowed it and didn't give it back." I threw an arm over her shoulder. "Right?" I looked at her and smiled a little, her chestnut hair starting to dry and hazel eyes turning into a blue-ish color.

"Right." She smiled back, and it was something new again. Something different. Something...more. I couldn't put my finger on it, but I just wanted more of it. Whatever "it" was. Eventually, I had to take my arm off.

"Well, I've got to head off. See you. Thanks for giving this back, Maddy."

"Uh yeah. Sure thing. Well, Aimee is more of the one who gave it back..." Maddy reasoned, eyes drifting off.

"So you were going to steal it from me?" I asked, frowning, hoping to get a laugh.

"No, I-"

"Yes, she would've. Bye Derek!" Aimee said, covering Maddy's mouth. I walked off towards my Mom's car, most of the guys following. I walked with my head high and chin up.

"Nice." Mark said.

"Hella smooth." Wyatt said. "How the did you...never mind. That was planned out perfectly though."

"Oh, it was never planned out." I said.

"The whole thing?"

"Accident."

"You lucky bastard." The small group of us laughed a little as I felt invincible. Hah. How was I ever so self-conscious before? It didn't matter if I didn't have a swimmer's body, I had the power of speech. Of body language. Of, at least, a pretty good looking face and a charming personality. And it was just another advantage of the dating game.

I slipped in the car to see Mom sipping coffee and reading a magazine. She put the magazine down and put her hand on the shift, but caught sight of my legs and sighed. She continued to put the car in reverse and head out towards the road. I spoke up. "Er, sorry. I'll clean the car out."

"Oh, you better."

I laughed a little. "I will."

"And I've got some good news."

I looked towards my mother, short dull-red hair held back with a headband. I had her eyes, painstakingly bright, but my mother looked normal, not like some freak of nature. She kept her focus on the road ahead of her. "Dad should be home by Christmas."

A torrent of mixed emotions raced through me. Happiness, anxiety, fear, everything. I haven't seen him in over a year. It almost been two years, in fact. What would he look like? What would he act like? What would I say? "...No exact time? Anywhere from this week to Christmas?"

"Yep."

"...That's good. I mean, great. Awesome." I said, taking in the news. Any minute, any day, any week he could be headed home, finally. Finally after two years of being halfway around the world, we'd all be in the same place.

"Sure is. Now put all the muddy stuff in the laundry sink and go wash up."

I gladly complied, taking off my cleats, shin guards, socks, and throwing my muddy shirt in as well. I went up the stairs, two at a time, into my room and going to take a much needed shower. I got out, got dressed, and went out to clean out mom's car. The floor on the front seat was really bad, but the seat itself wasn't horrible. I got to work, scrubbing and vacuuming away at the mud, thinking over about what I'd need to tell Dad when he gets home. The humidity from this morning may have gone, but the heat was still very much there, yanking me back to reality. I plugged in my earphones and worked to some music, zoning out for awhile until my neighbor from across the street had to come over. She had extremely short shorts on and a tight tank top over a very obvious neon pink bikini top.. Her hair was pin straight and she wore the vast amount of makeup she usually wears. Typical Scarlett. Tall, tan, and blonde. The girl at the top of the food chain. She opened her mouth, so I assumed she said something. I took out an earphone. "What?"

"I just said hi."

"Oh. Hi. Uh, is there something I could help you with?"

"Yeah, actually. My phone's been acting up. You think can fix it?" Scarlett held up a sleek white iPhone as I stared in longing. How much I wished to have an iPhone, all my music and texting and games on one device. I don't think I would ever let the thing out of my sight. I put down the rag and wiped off my hands.

"Yeah, I guess. What's wrong with it?"

"I can't tap the right app. The calibration's completely messed up or something."

I tested it out, trying to click calendars, but it opened the music app next to it. A picture of an old Linkin Park album came up. "Huh. I never knew you liked this music."

"I have an expansive taste." Scarlett replied leaning against the car. It was weird to see her over here. Scarlett was someone that was alright to have a conversation with once it awhile, but she'd be a hell of an annoying person to hang around all the time. Yeah, she was still my stalker but I wasn't going to be rude about fixing her iPhone. We were having a decent conversation anyway, and I've had the same problem before. All you really have to do it shut it off and on again. I went to click the calendar app again, and thankfully it opened up.

"There you go."

"Thanks."

"Sure."

There was a slight pause as she didn't make any move to walk back across the street. "So what have you been up to this summer?"

"Um, nothing much. Relaxing, and soccer."

"That's cool. What position do you play?"

"...Goalie."

"Cool. I've always wanted to try soccer, but just never got around to it. You think the US is going to be a contender in the Olympics this year?"

That's right. It had completely slipped my mind that the Olympic Games were this summer. How could I forget? I mean, I've seen stuff on the news about it once in awhile, but we always sit and watch the Opening Ceremonies as a family as long as I could remember. Well, that was four years ago.

"I think so. The women are expected to do well, right?"

"Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing them play. Hope Solo's a heck of a goalie."

"Yeah. For a girl."

Scarlett laughed and pushed my arm. What was with girls and pushing? "Sexist."

"No, I'm kidding. She's really good."

"Yep. So, I also came over here to invite you and your family to watch the Opening Ceremonies over at my house tomorrow night. We're having a party for it and wanted to make sure you knew you guys knew you were invited. A bunch of other people from school are coming, so you wouldn't be alone."

"Oh, thanks. I'll see if I can go." I responded, wanting to go back to cleaning.

"Alright, you can just text me a yes or no."

"Er, I don't have your phone number." Of course, she had my number, but I never bothered to save hers. Maybe I should've. She wasn't that bad of a person to talk to as long as she wasn't being creepy.

A sudden realization happened as she gave me a flirty half smile, my question sinking in. Clever.

"I'll type it in your notes." She grabbed my iPod, went to notes and quickly typed in a string of numbers, handing it back. "There. Hopefully see you tomorrow?"

I examined the number, knowing it was familiar. "Yeah, maybe." I replied. Scarlett smiled and walked off, crossing the road with her face glued to her iPhone. That was definitely new. Having a semi-enjoyable conversation with her.

I cleaned out the rest of the car and did whatever for the rest of the day. I let mom know about the Jone's invitation, but she said she'd rather just watch it at home. I didn't complain.

"Yeah, why don't you invite people over instead?"

I took a moment to replay those words again. Mom never liked having my friends over because we always made a mess, but she was actually suggesting it now. I didn't want to think it was because she'd be too depressed without Dad or Max here. A flashback crossed my mind from watching the Beijing Olympic Opening Ceremonies with all four of us, how incredible it all was, bringing heartache along with it. I pushed the memory away and said I'd ask around. The Ceremonies started at 8, and our game was at 3, so there was more than enough time. And speaking of the game, I realized I could finally possibly play. And tomorrow couldn't come fast enough.

<^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^>

I practically ripped the zipper open on my bag, strapping on my trusty gloves in record time. Coach, didn't even have to finish her sentence. We were tied with 10 minutes left, and Nate had been shot at more than Bugs Bunny. The coaches had put off on putting me in for as long for possible, but desperate times called for desperate measures.

I excitedly stood at half field, behind the sideline, awaiting the whistle. It sounded, and a relieved Nate came off, giving me a high five. I felt serene again as the game resumed, looking out. Players moved here and there, shouting, a bit of pushing, the ball moving and weaving in between everyone. I never realized how much I enjoyed this until now, until having a win within reach after two frustrating losses. And just to have goal around me again. A home away from home.

Heather and Carter were the right and left defenders with Maddy in the middle again. She moved forward to see Dakota take off with the ball, things moving in the other team's far away 18. as the ball slowly progressed outward, she turned and walked back. She picked up her head to make eye contact with me. She smiled, I smiled back, winking once. She laughed and turned towards the game again. God, I was good at this.

The other team broke through the midfield confusion, coming towards me, filling my mind with anticipations. Things moved back and forth, me keeping a close eye. Obviously, the tall short haired guy was the threat. He looked to the right of the goal every time he got the ball, looking to score. He then went to set up just outside the 18, crossing the ball in at a perfect arc. The player next to me was looking to get a header, so I took the chance and stepped up, jumping as high as I could and reaching up with one hand to hit it down, then securely catch it. The crowd gave an applause as I punted it out to wing. Ah, how it felt to be back.

Mindless playing went on, and the clock was ticking down. I saved 4 more shots, each kicked at full power. My stomach was definitely not going to have it after this abuse. But we started to keep possesion more often. We started to take more desperate shots after desperate shots, and Coach Reed was warning us with two minutes. A defender kicked the ball out from Grayson, resulting in a corner kick. Kendall went to go set up, but Coach Dublin was trying to yell something to us. Well, more specifically Maddy.

"Maddy! You move up, send Wyatt back!" Coach yelled. Maddy still didn't hear.

"MADDY!" I called. She turned, shocked. I hurriedly pointed to Coach Dublin who was doing a series of embarrassing arm movements to try and get Maddy to switch spots. Kendall had just put his hand down when Wyatt and Maddy switched, setting her up right outside the other team's 18. Kendall made a decent kick in, but it was too low and bounced off someone's shin, then another foot, then a couple rushed passes to try and clear it until Dakota finally had enough sense to spot Maddy, wide open. I watched as she trapped the ball, not taking a moment's hesitation to wind up and shoot - straight into the left corner.

The comforting sound of the whistle signaled the last goal and the end of the game, a 3-2 defeat over Manesville. The crowd cheered, and Coach Dublin and Reed finally took a breath. I walked towards the line of players and shook hands, the other team being solemn and bitter. Endless talking was going on as everyone wanted to high five Maddy on her first goal of the season. It took a little while to get us quiet, but Coach Dublin had finally gotten our attention.

"Well, I'd say that was a job well done. Maddy, wonderful shot, Dakota, wonderful assist." She gave each of them a high five as the girls giggled nervously. "I think you boys need to take something from the girls. The communication was excellent, and Maddy didn't even hesitate. That's how you win." Several cheers went up from the team. Coach Dublin continued to talk about what we did well and what we could improve on, going over details for tomorrow's game. The meeting was adjourned, and we all burst into conversations. The team talked together, congratulating Maddy and Dakota. I hung back, listening.

"And it looks like the new-and-improved Derek's back. I didn't think you could get better that you already were."

I shrugged off Heather's nice comment. "Thanks."

"Seriously. Why, I mean, how did you..."

"Get so fantastic?" Wyatt said. Laughter. "It's not fair."

I looked down and kicked mud off my cleats. "You know. Practice and stuff." I looked up again to find people whispering and scoffing, eyeing me suspiciously. "What?"

"Nothing. Hey, who here is going to Scarlett's tonight?" Most of the boys quietly agreed but the girls rolled their eyes and stayed silent. "Maddy, Heather, Aimee...?"

The three looked about each other. "Well, we weren't invited." Aimee said. A couple awkward glances and an increasing silence. Dakota cleared her throat and spoke up again.

"That's stupid. You guys are coming anyways. She said I could bring a friend."

"No, no we're alright-"

"Yeah it's fine,"

"Please, don't worry about it," the three of them protested while Dakota whined and grabbed Heather's arm.

"Please? I know you might not like her, but I really don't want to be all alone. Pretty pretty pretty please go?" Dakota gave them a puppy dog face. They looked at each other, communicating in some secret language that looked to be disagreement. "C'mon! It's the Opening Ceremonies! And a ton of other people will be there!"

"Why can't you just hang out with them?" Maddy whined. "I really don't want to crash a party, much nontheless Scarlett's."

Dakota lowered her voice and leaned in. "Alright listen. Neither do I, but I'm obligated to because we're sort of kind of friends. I don't want to go anymore than you, but I need someone to make the experience more enjoyable. Scarlett pisses me off." Several laughs and cheers of agreements went up from everyone, including me. No one can stand the girl besides her small circle of popular friends. It was stunning to hear something from Dakota of all people, who was probably the closest in relation to her on the team. I guess our conversation yesterday went over decently, but I'd rather spend the night at my house. Which reminded me of Mom's offer.

"Why don't we get together somewhere else?" I suggested.

"Hey, that's not a bad idea Derek. Where, though?"

"Wait, aren't you neighbors anyway?"

"Well, yeah, sort of."

"That works out then. Right?"

"Sure. My mom should be okay with it. She wanted people over, anyway." I said. I swear everyone took a collective sigh of relief.

"Awesome. Everyone, to Derek's house by 7." Wyatt said, facing the awaiting parents. "March, soldiers."

We laughed and walked off, heading towards our respective cars. I got in and took off my cleats and such, reclining the chair and taking a breath, extremely relieved.

"You invite people?"

"Yeah...well, sort of. Uh, the whole team decided they're coming..." Mom laughed and focused on the road again.

"Alright, that's fine. I haven't had a decent party in forever. Oh, this'll be fun." Mom looked really happy and excited finally, something I really haven't seen in awhile. "We have a lot of work to do before 7 o'clock, then."

We went home and I made a list of things Mom was listing along the way. Clean the bathroom, vacuum, fix the surround sound, get some food. I was immediately put to work, thankfully not having to clean much, just fix up and straighten everything. Mom went out to go grocery shopping and left me to finish whatever chores were left. I was putting the last dishes away when my phone buzzed, a message from Scarlett of course.

U Coming? c:

sorry, can't. busy tonight.

Aww, You Sure? It Should Be Fun :D

I groaned and ran a hand through my hair. Why did I even reply in the first place? Now I'm going to be stuck in at least 20 more messages like this.

yeah, sorry...again. i'll have to talk to you later, i'm in the middle of something right now.

Oh, Okay :)

Phew. Crisis averted. Well, until 14 other guys and girls with or without parents come bursting through the door.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Wow. that chapter was ridiculously long. my bad. haha :p I thought it'd be boring if it just ended before the time break. so yeah. sorry if it was too long, but thanks for reading :)