Chapter 38 - Maddy

So I like bow ties.

I don't know why. I don't know how. I just really like bow ties on boys.

Derek noticed my staring and my face started to heat up. Thankfully, he didn't smirk or half-smile to make me blush worse. He tore the bow tie off his neck, undid the top button, untucked his shirt, and took a breath. His hair was perfectly messy, jawline needing to be kissed, sleeves effortlessly pushed up in the most attractive way I have ever found him. Ugh. I was starting to understand girl talk.

"I hate dressing up," He threw the bow tie on a pile of others. "It's such a hassle."

His mom came back, looking disappointed. "I don't know what to do with you."

Aimee wasted no time in speaking up. "Let us dress him!"

"Oh, that would be such a big help. Thank you girls. And Wyatt." She smiled and headed off towards the woman's department, no hesitation.

The three of us looked between each other for a fraction of a second before running off in different directions. I didn't quite know what I was looking for, but I heard Aimee call, "Maddy! Black tie, stat!" I laughed and ran off towards the scattered tie stands around the department store.

I came to one, overwhelmed with all the different options. It looked like every print ever thought of was spewed onto a piece of fabric and churned out like hamburgers. Finding a plain, black tie actually took awhile. Finally, I found a section of them but there were so many options. Satiny, matte, small pinstripes, polka dots, longer, shorter, thicker, thinner, I almost couldn't handle it. Aimee came up next to me, plain white dress shirt slung over her arm. "That's it? That's all you had to find?" I asked.

Looked appalled, she whipped the shirt out. "It is a perfect slim fit top, because a regular shirt would look ridiculous on his figure, with a reinforced collar meaning it won't bend out of shape, wrinkle-preventive material, not to mention a rounded bottom that will hit right at the hips so he won't have to tuck it in and look like a middle aged man. It's science, Maddy." She picked a fuzzy off the shirt. "What have you got?"

"Too many options." I picked up a fistful of black ties and showed her. She examined them and the fabric for a minute, saying nothing. I spotted a plain black bow tie in the bundle. He would hate it though, he was so reluctant to put the other one on.

Aimee plucked a thinner, slightly shiny black tie from my bundle. "This one. It's perfect."

I set the rest back on the table and headed back to the dressing room with her. Wyatt, looking extremely pleased with himself beckoned us faster. Laughing the slightest, holding all the clothes, Aimee said "What did you do?"

"Just wait."

"Are you serious Wyatt."

We all laughed. "Come on out, they want to see." Wyatt could barely control himself, making all three of us continue to giggle even though I had no idea what the joke was.

Derek stepped out in an absolutely hideous combination of brown pants, yellow shirt, and red tie. "Ha-ha. Very funny. Next, please."

I couldn't stop laughing at the Spongebob outfit Wyatt had put him in, and his annoyance was growing by the second, making me only laugh harder. Aimee bumped my elbow, holding up her phone and taking a picture. She laughed again as Derek went away again, calling out. "I'm done, no more options. I'm wearing sweatpants."

"C'mon Derek, Aimee actually has something good," I replied, hearing the door shut angrily. I took the shirt and tie from Aimee, seemingly having convulsions at the picture she took, and hung them over his door. "Trust us with this one," I said sweetly. "And put your khakis and belt back on."