Chapter 17

"What do you mean? I've never heard of such a thing." Riley's voice is ruff.

I don't feel much shock, I knew there was something going on, especially with the way I was fighting earlier this morning. It was like a was psychic.

"Very few know about the prophecy. We'll need to start training you right away Em. I'm going back to my hotel room and I'm calling the counsel. There's a lot to be done, so I won't see you for a couple of days. Someone will be here to help you train. Be polite, Emily, it will be an Elite Witch, you must show respect." She holds my gaze so that I understand how serious she is.

I nod. "When should they be expected?"

"Today sometime. There's no time to waste. I must go." My mother launches herself at me, throwing her arms around me in a tight embrace. "Be strong, like I know you are."

I watch as she darts from the room, leaving me and Riley in thick silence. I can't help but watch him, the way his chest moves with his stressful breaths, his hair messed up from the bite of the wind outside, and then my eyes scan his face. Worry, love, and loss are already sketched across his beautiful face. Looking at him, I think about his father.

"Riley, I think now is a good time to meet your father." I speak shy, worried about being a bother.

He glances at me with a hard expression, obviously having an internal battle, before picking up the phone and dialing a number.

"I didn't want to intrude your mind while you're with him....Yes I know....She wants to now....No mom, I don't think I can... Don't start, not right now... just come get her okay?" And with that he hangs up.

"You don't want to take me? Or come?" My face scrunches in confusion.

Tightening his jaw he looks just past me at the wall.

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Maybe you need to. When's the last time you seen him?" I try to catch his eyes with mine.

"It's been a few weeks now." Candice appears through the door.

"Riley... please... come with me." I walk toward him, pleading.

"Emily..." He starts but I take his hand, looking meaningfully into his eyes.

I don't know why I approach this so hard, but I feel it necessary that he is with me when I meet the past Alpha, his father. He needs to see him, he'll need the closure if it comes time for his dad to pass away.

Hand in hand, we walk silently toward his fathers room, walking in I'm surprised by the more homey vibe, rather than a hospital vibe. A large four post bed is outlined by a giant window that I recognise seeing from the outside. Before I can scan the rest of the room, my eyes land on the sickly man in bed. He rears up with surprising strength as soon as sees Riley.

"Son! Long time no see!" He roars happily.

Riley seems to snap out of his haze, he beams rushing toward his dad, softly clapping him on the back with a hug.

"Father, how do you feel?"

"Better now that you're here. It's been too long." He chastises.

"I know, but I want you to meet someone." Motioning to me his smile turns more affectionate. "This is my mate, and the new Luna, Emily Pronto."

Stepping forward with my hand out I try my hardest not to feel intimidated by the large man, even as he lays sickly in bed.

Taking my hand with gentle kindness he gives it a sharp shake before pulling me toward him in a hug.