Chapter 23

My eyelids fall heavy, threatening to close at any given moment. Shaking my head I force my eyes to refocus on the rotting house in front of me, unwilling to go inside to gather Damien's attention. The tears that welled my eyes all night have made my face thick and swollen. 

Boxer-clad Damien walks out of the house, scratching his head and eyeing me curiously. My stomach clenches dangerously, I work to swallow the lump forming in my throat. 

"We need to move." I shout at him, willing the wind to carry my voice. 

He starts to cock his head to the side, but my glare halts him immediately. My wolf howls in triumph.

"We're not due to leave until tomorrow night." His voice is the same stern tone that I remember from my childhood and I work to not cringe. 

For a moment I want to just agree, to let him have his way. But then I remember why I'm here, and I remember that my pack is preparing to die. 

"We need to leave tonight." I growl back, hiding any signs of cowardice. 

"Listen here you litt–" 

"She's right. We need to move. The battle cannot be tonight, and they are coming." Sapphire jumps in and shivers fall down my back. She has her own ways of finding things out, I need to fix that. 

Damien sends his sidekick a nasty glare before spinning back into the house, presumably to pack his shit. More people than I have seen since being here start to show up, running around the house. Several large men with beefy hands stand facing the house, all equally apart like some sort of cult. When Damien leaves the house, they all pick up the jerrycans resting at their feet, and it doesn't take a genius to find out what they do next. 

Soon the entire cabin is erupted in flames, the crackling sounding through the air and the smoke burning my already heavy eyes. My eyes flicker to Damien to make sure he's far away from me, my mouth hardens when I see him watching me with a knowing smirk. 

My wolf paces, begging to be released. To teach him a lesson. 

Standing, I brush myself off, stretching my limbs to get ready for whatever journey these monster were about to take me on. No one moves. One by one they all turn to watch me, waiting for something. 

Arching my brow I stare blankly at the rough looking crowd, getting nervous when one of the scrawny women tilts her head in the direction of the house. Curious, I turn my attention to the house, cocking an ear to listen and lifting my nose to smell. 

"Oh no please no!" The cries sound from in the house and my heart begins to race. 

The visions start to slap behind my eyes, hitting so hard I fall against my tree.

She sits on a chair, her legs and arms tied to halt her from making any significant movement. 

A wire... a tube... no. An IV sticks out of her forearm and I know that it's pumping her full of silver. The blonde teen lurches forward, smoke starting to cloud around her, clogging her cries. 

I force myself out of the vision, drop my bag from my shoulder and taking a step forward, only to be stopped by a strong hand on my shoulder. Looking over I see a dark haired giant, grinning sadistically.

"Sorry darling, bosses orders." He shows his one missing fang. 

My face heats up. Without sparing anyone else a glance I burn the mans hand, relishing when he screams in agony, dropping to his knees to clench his fist in his knees. In the distance I can hear Damien telling his men to grab me, to make me watch, but I don't give them the time.