The Hunt

...Ring! Ring!... Ring! Ring!..

The ringing of the phone blared directly into the dark hedgehog's over sensitized ears as he slept. Grumbling slightly, he grabbed the pillow from underneath his head and desperately tried to cover his ears with the material.

...Ring! Ring!... Ring! Ring!..

Growling loudly, Shadow gave up on sleep as the ringing persisted and sat bolt upright in his bed. Uncovering the sheets off of himself in anguish, Shadow stormed off into his living room, each step echoing through the apartment. Fumbling for his cell phone in the moonlit room, realising it was almost the middle of the night, Shadow scooped the phone up immediately and spat in the microphone;

"What. Do you want?!"

Even though the dark hedgehogs voice was quiet, his tone was shaking from thunderous rage, making it obvious he did not appreciate being woken up on a weekend at half eleven at night. What Shadow heard next was something that simply shocked him, expecting the caller to be either Rouge or the commander, he waited for the ringers cautious reply. 

"U-um, Sh-Sha-Shadow? I-it's Tails, s-somethings wrong with S-Sonic"

The Kitsune's voice wobbled through the speaker, almost as if he was scared of talking too loud.

"What!? What's the matter?" To say the least, the dark hedgehog was baffled. He hadn't been expecting this in the slightest. Forcing his angry baritone to ease off so he could speak to Tails in an appropriate manner, he sat down on the armrest of his sofa, ears tilting wondering what was going to be said next.

When Tails didn't answer the black hedgehog and an almighty roar did instead, Shadow slammed the phone down and shot out the apartment in a flash not even bothering to wonder why Tails had chosen to ring him- they weren't particularly close anyway... 

xxx

Upon Shadow's arrival to Sonic's and Tails' home, the hedgehog noticed the door had been kicked down with sheer force, with the broken hinges scattered everywhere. Stepping inside, a black ear flickered, as it picked up the voices of who he could only presume belonged to Knuckles and Tails. Flicking the light switch on -only to find the bulb was smashed, Shadow stumbled around blind in the carnage of what used to be the living room, and walked straight into the kitchen. Noticing the light to the kitchen was already on, Shadow directed his head to where the voices had been emanating from. Looking down, was a quivering twin tailed Fox curled up in the corner of the room, whilst a red echidna was crouched next to him. Clearing his throat slightly, two pairs of eyes moved to the dark hedgehog's sleek frame standing in the doorway.

"Took your time." The echidna said gruffly, not moving away from the shell-shocked fox who remained on the floor. Knuckles was also clearly irate from Tails waking him up at this time of night with a random phone call.

"Some of us don't just live around the corner. Besides, What the hell happened here?!" Shadow hissed.

"Well, Sonic turned into a big wolf creature and tore the house apart. Tails told me everything." Knuckles said nonchalantly, glancing back to the wide eyed fox.

By now, Shadow was completely baffled. The past two days had been extraordinarily strange, and this was no exception. "Well, do you have any idea where he is now?"

Lifting a hand up into the air, Tails boldly spoke up, the thought of his best friend going missing, forced him out of his state of shock, clearly worried sick. "He ran out into the woods howling, we have to find him!" A small fist was then made in valour from the young fox as he also placed a steady hand upon the worktop. Tails lifted himself up onto two legs whilst Knuckles spectated.