Chip

"Surprise...?" Sonic asked doubtfully, looking between Tails and Knuckles, hoping for a little indication that they weren't mad.

Tails's face fell, as a loud exasperated sigh fell out of his mouth, meanwhile Knuckles's eye was twitching repeatedly; "WHAT?!  You mean to say, that you dragged us all the way down here, only to find a cave, and some molten lava?" The red Echidna spat in anger and frustration.

"Yeah... Guess I didn't think about that." By now the blue hedgehog was looking at his feet and shuffling in his place, clearly feeling awkward by his friend who was now fuming, and if this were a cartoon, Knuckles would most likely have steam pouring out of his ears adjacent to a teapot.

"Give me that." Knuckles spat through gritted teeth as he grabbed the small collar out of Sonic's hands and examined it curiously. Staring at the small accessory in his hand and deeming it worthless, the echidna looked back at Sonic. "Take us back, this was pointless."

Nodding glumly, the blue hedgehog pulled the bright green emerald out of his quills and stared at it. He swallowed slightly. This seemed like a good idea at first, Chip was the only one who would probably know why he was transforming so randomly, this had been his one hope of returning to normal again, and just like that it was gone. The blue hedgehog had never felt like this before, he had never been so disappointed about something that he was ready to give up, usually he found another way out, he was Sonic the hedgehog for crying out loud!

Looking down upon the emerald, the blue hedgehog held it out in front of him, his expression blank, causing Tails and Knuckles to look over at each other in concern.

"Sonic, we'll figure how to sort this out eventually, just like we always do. I promise." Tails spoke up, walking closer to his blue friend.

Lifting his head and making an unconvincing smile, Sonic nodded in defeat "Yeah... I guess you're right." Lifting his hand up slowly, his enthusiasm for this trip long gone, preparing to chaos control out of the chasm.

Stepping up next to him, Knuckles handed the blue hedgehog back the talisman, accidentally pressing up against Sonic's raised arm, in an attempt to give it back to the blue blur.

Giving a quick smile at Knuckles, Sonic reached for Chip's collar, now holding it in his left hand, and the emerald in the right.  Waiting for Tails and Knuckles to hold onto the blue hedgehog's shoulders, Sonic spoke up;

"Chaos control." Sonic said with as much enthusiasm in his voice as he could muster for the time being, maybe being back in his house without the constant reminder that he had failed everyone might cheer him up. -God he hoped Shadow was once again prepared to look after him tonight-

Closing his eyes and preparing for the unbearable dizziness of his own terrible chaos manipulation, Sonic steadied his feet carefully, feeling his friends grip tighter to his shoulders, awaiting for the trio to be teleported away from this hot cavern, and hopefully never to return.

xxx

"So, Hun what on earth was that about back there? Or are you still gonna give me the silent treatment, hmm?" Rouge spoke eagerly once they were out of the commanders earshot. Studying her friends behaviour. The other mobian opened his mouth slightly, looked at the white bat then looked away quietly. "The silent treatment I'm guessing then. Shadow, you clearly wish to tell me, we can go somewhere more private if need be?"

Shadow stared at the white bat for a few moments, clearly contemplating his decisions, before he nodded. Despite the base being a place of empty wet solitude, he still didn't feel entirely comfortable announcing his true emotions in unfamiliar territory. Sighing gently, he let down his guard, his quills shifting and falling slacker so Rouge could easily manoeuvre him from the base.