19: Renzo- La Festa

the buildup to disaster

****

THE DAY WENT by and the pain in my arm didn't subside.

Mila was busy rejecting most of her mother's plans for her birthday bash tomorrow. That left me with nothing to do except witness arguments about whether or not there should be an ice sculpture of the number '22'.

"Darling," her mother began. "We need to make an impression. We must go all out. This will have people accepting your position as heiress."

"We don't need an ice sculpture. Besides, the party is tomorrow. It's late to even bother ordering the sculpture."

"That's why I went ahead and ordered it already. I knew you would fuss about it. Oh, but you're surely going to love it, Mila." Her mother clapped her hands excitedly.

"Oh my God," she whispered under her breath. I couldn't hear the rest, but I'm positive it wasn't nice.

Mila huffed and left the room, leaving me and her mother in the room.

Her mother finally noticed my presence, glared at me and sneered. Getting up, her mother went in the opposite direction Mila went.

Before she left the room, I heard her mumble after tossing her hair over her shoulder, "Classless bastard."

----

The next day, I went to Mila's bedroom to wish her.

It took a few minutes before she answered. Rubbing her sleepy eyes she looks surprised to see me.

"Enzo?" She yawns. "It's way too early right now, come back later."

"No way," I said, holding the door, so that she doesn't shut it.

"I want to sleep, go away." Mila glared at me.

"Alright," I chuckle. "Just after I give you something."

Her ears perk up at the sound and she lets me into her room. "This better be good Enzo."

"Trust me," I walk in hiding the gift behind my back.

She closes the door once I'm inside and stands against it, crossing her arms.

"Happy birthday Mila." I show her the gift behind my back. Holding it out to her, it's in a box wrapped and adorned with a red bow.

She takes and smiles. She gingerly opens it and takes out my gift.

"God," she sighs, marveling at the charm I bought for her. "This...this is amazing."

She flips over the charm and reads out the inscription. "June 1st." Her eyebrows scrunch up and she looks up at me.

"That was the day I first saw you," I explain.