27: Renzo- Protection

a sign of unconditional support

****

AFTER BREAKFAST, MILA told me we would be spending the day together until she had to go to class. Considering it was the same for me, I was perfectly fine with that idea.

"Enzo," Mila called from the living room. Right now, I was in the kitchen popping popcorn for the movie Mila and I chose to watch after our large breakfast.

"Yeah?" I answered back, the microwave still had a minute to go before the popcorn was ready.

Since my back was turned and the microwave was loud, I didn't hear Mila come into the kitchen. Her arms slipped around my waist and she pressed a chaste kiss against my back.

"I just wanted to ask what movie we're going to watch." She mumbled replying my question before tightening her hug a bit.

We heard the microwave beep, but Mila winced and dug her face into my back more. "Whatever you want to watch Mila," I smiled opening the bag of freshly popped popcorn.

"Smells good," Mila dreamily sighed. "God, I love popcorn so much."

I laughed at her comment and went to the counter to find some butter and other toppings.

On the way back to the living room, I heard Mila's phone ring. I went to where her phone was resting on her laptop to go and give it to her. Suddenly, the phone vibrated. Mila's phone lit up to show the text that she had received from an unknown number.

Babe, call me. We need to talk about this arrangement.

From: You Know Who ;)

What the fuck? My mind, being as it belonged to me, went and jumped to the worst conclusion and scenario it could possibly think of: Mila was cheating on me.

It made me see red, but what else could I think when a random guy calls my girlfriend "babe".

I went to the living room with Mila's phone in my hand wanting an explanation. Ready, but also not really, to talk things out and get an explanation.

Mila had already put on a movie which happened to be my favourite horror movie. This is going to be very difficult to do.

"Mila," I stood in front of her. She had not yet noticed her phone on my hand so she grinned up at me. I took a big gulp.

"I have something to ask you." I said not knowing how to start the conversation. Just as I was about to open my mouth again, Mila's eyes drifted over to my hand which tightly clutched the phone. Hers eyes went wide.

"Why do you have my phone?" She spoke slowly, menacingly even. She stood up, her entire posture stiff.

"Who's this guy that's been texting you?" I answered not trusting myself to say anything more in case I lose it.

Mila's entire figure seemed like it shattered as she heard what I said. Tears started to form in her eyes, her head shaking as if she automatically assumed what I thought when I first saw the text. Then that means I was correct, great.

"No, Enzo," she grabbed my arm. "It's not what you think."

"'It's not what I think?'" I repeated. "What am I supposed to think Mila?"

She stayed silent. Goddammit do not go silent on me now.

"Are you cheating on me?" I asked exasperated. I combed my fingers through my hair, feeling the frustration tear me apart. 

Mila shook her head vigorously. "No, no Enzo," her eyes pleading. "Let me explain. I'm not cheating on you. I swear please hear me out."

I sighed painfully. I looked back at Mila who was carefully watching my every move.

"Fine," I gave in. "Explain to me what's going on."

Mila stayed quiet. You could barely hear it when she muttered, "I want to, but I can't tell you."

My head snapped towards her.

"What do you mean you can't tell me? I deserve an explanation. I'm here thinking my girlfriend is cheating on me, but when I ask her to tell me and explain, she's saying she can't tell me?" I exclaimed.

"No Enzo," she grabbed my arm again. I snatched it back not wanting to put up with this anymore. Mila started sobbing loudly. The sound of her crying just made my heart break. The thought of her in pain..It drove me fucking crazy.

"Enzo," she hiccuped. "I can't tell you because he'll know. Please baby, believe me I would never cheat. Ever."

"Then tell me what's going on!"

"I can't," she muttered. "He threatened me if I tell anyone."

"Who?" I asked frustrated. "Mila, who?"

"I don't know Enzo." She fumbled with the bottom of her sweater. "Fuck, I really don't know Enzo. Please, I'm not cheating on you!"

"Has he sent you texts like this before?" I couldn't look at her, my eyes were looking everywhere except her. "Mila, I'm trying to understand. Has he sent you this before?"

"Yes," she breathed out. "I can't show them to you here, he's probably tracking my every move. But he sent me a letter when we came back from the Hamptons. I'm sorry Enzo I should've told you the day it happened but please understand that he was threatening me if I told anyone. He said he would hurt you."

Mila started crying again, the air was tense between us but at least we got some details straightened out. I pulled her into my embrace and we stood there hugging in the living room. Her hands tightly gripped my t-shirt at its sides, bunching them up to my abdomen. I drew circles on her back to soothe her, our breaths were the only thing you could hear except for the title screen of the movie Mila had put on for us to watch.

I pulled away but Mila still was holding my shirt not wanting to let go. I placed my hand on her cheek, wiping away her tears. Her eyes were still puffy and glassy. I ran my thumb over her bottom lip which she was biting and she let go of it. I leaned in and kissed her as my hand brushed her hair to the side.

"It's going to be fine," I assured her. "We're going to figure this out. I'm sorry if I overreacted. I should've let you talk instead of jumping to conclusions."

"No," she shook her head. "I'm sorry, I feel like the worst girlfriend for not telling you what was going on. I didn't want him to hurt you because of me."

I frowned. "Mila, you should have told me. I would have come back and stayed if you told me about it. But I'm here now and I'm not going anywhere. Trust me, we're going to solve this problem together. But please promise me that you'll tell me everything that's been going on."

Mila kissed me again, "Promise." This time nodding her head as tears still came out of her eyes.

Everything was going to be alright. I'm going to make sure of it.