39: Renzo- Closure

in the open

in the open

****

MILA'S MOTHER AND Julian were having a heated conversation in the living room from where we were watching. Twenty minutes had passed since her mother sent her a text which read "come if you want to know the truth" according to Zeke's program. Mila still hasn't shown up.

"You think she's coming?" Mike asked me as he adjusted the drone's camera Zeke gave us earlier. It was hovering near the oak tree beside the floor to ceiling window, where we had a clear view of Julian. We were observing them from a car Kennedy lent to us.

"If there's a single scratch on this," He threatened, holding the keys to his black Jeep over my hand. "Even Mila can't stop me."

I rolled my eyes in a joking manner. In thirty-six hours, I regarded Kennedy in a new light. When I found out what was happening, I was grateful to have his help. If it weren't for him and Zeke, Mila and I would've still been at a dead end, and Julian would've succeeded with his plan.

"I'm not sure," I answered Mike's question. From the way it was looking, Mila was thinking about her options. It was understandable if she doubted her mother. I wonder if she was thinking if it's worth the risk to open this chest of secrets? Would she be able to handle the aftermath?

"As long as I'm with her, I'll make sure we overcome it together," I vowed to myself. There's no point in dwelling over such things. All of our friends, including Kennedy, are trying their best to support us in their own way. If not for ourselves, then we have to fight for them.

"I see her," Mike's eyes were glued on the screen. The drone was now around the side of the house. "Mila entered through a different door."

"Let me see," I lean over Mike's shoulder to glimpse at her. "We have to go in soon."

Though the projection wasn't in high definition, I could tell Mila's demeanor was stiff. She was anxious as she bit her lip when she crossed the entryway leading to where her mother was.

Since the drone couldn't pick up sound, Mila's voice was inaudible when she spoke to the two figures who were impatient to see her.

"We need to get closer," Mike told me. I nodded in agreement, getting out of the car. "You have the files with you?"

"In my right pocket," I tapped the front of my pants. "Today we're sending this fucker to jail."

"We're going in," Mike told Kennedy through his Bluetooth headphones.

"Remember," Kennedy commanded over the transmission. "If anything seems suspicious, get out of there right away."

I didn't answer, too busy watching Julian's reaction to Mila's words. He was on edge, and he didn't like that Mila was challenging him.