36.5: Fletcher- Unspoken Debts

eight hours earlier

eight hours earlier

****

*Trigger Warning: This chapter contains sensitive content regarding sexuality and suicide*

I DECIDED TO clean the apartment since Enzo was most likely at Mila's house and there wasn't much left to do. Though he and I shared the two-bedroom apartment that was five minutes away from most of our classes, I took care of the cleaning and cooking more often than not.

I didn't have a problem with it either since Enzo couldn't cook for his life. It was also because I owed him for not telling the others I didn't like girls. I know I shouldn't feel indebted for something like this, but if it weren't for him, I probably wouldn't be alive now.

I still remember when he found out one day after school. It was senior year and I had just broken up with Elijah, my first boyfriend.

Elijah already came out to his friends and family, so when we started dating it was always something looming in our relationship when I would come forward and speak my truth.

Elijah was very supportive when I told him I was scared to tell everyone, if anything, he understood my fear of becoming alone.

We were together for quite some time and everything was going well until one day my mom caught us in my bedroom making out. The look on mom's face gutted me as she dragged Elijah out of the house. My ears were ringing then and I still can't remember what she said to him when she slammed the front door. Elijah's eyes locked with mine and even then I didn't have the resolve to say something to stop the whole mess.

I couldn't stop profusely apologizing when she kept hitting me. Dad wasn't home at the time, and I couldn't bear to imagine his reaction when he came back. In that second, I envied Elijah for being brave to have the confidence to accept his identity. It became overwhelming and I deeply regretted not coming out to my family and the guilt for not being the son they wanted. I started hyperventilating as mom yelled, but I knew then that I had to bury it.

"We didn't move to this country for you to do this!" Mom screamed, her eyes wide with anger. "You're bringing shame to this family, how dare you?"

"I'm sorry," I wept. "I didn't mean to..."

"What do you mean you 'didn't mean to'?" Mom flared her arms around. "What will people say, Fletcher? What will I say to your Dad? That our son is gay?"

"Mom," for some reason I still couldn't stop my tears. "I promise I won't disappoint you."

"How could you do this to me?" She cried out. "We left everything behind for you and this is how you repay us?"

I tried to hold her hand, but she smacked it away in disgust. My heart instantly broke and my knees buckled.

"Mom," I hiccuped. "I'm still your son, I haven't changed. I'm still the same person who's an honour student and—"