s i x t e e n

[ A l l i s o n ]

"look at Jai, he looks very happy" Niall smiled.

"he does, doesn't he?" i replied, watching Gem as she pulled away from the kiss. "they're so adorable, i swear"

Niall covered his giggles, "yeah"

"we should leave now" Niall insisted. "unless you want to feel like stalkers."

"school is probably over by now" i said, watching the couple on the beach, laughing while eating their sandwiches.

Niall giggled and he dragged me into his car.

"Niall!" I laughed, wiggling my way out of his strong grip.

"i'm hungry, let's go get lunch" he whined.

"okay fine, but let me go" I said and he eased his grip from my hands.

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

after a few minutes driving to Subway and ordering our food, here we are, sat in Niall's car, eating our long sandwiches as we dance to Twenty One Pilots on radio.

"how's your turkey breast sandwich?" Niall asked, the corners of his mouth covered in sauce from his sandwich.

"it's good, how's yours?"

"this stuff is the bomb" he said, mouth full. Typical Niall.

I laughed and took a plastic of tissues in his car compartment that he keeps in case and wiped his mouth. "you have sauce all over you"

Niall's cheeks blushed slightly and gave me a cheeky grin.

we stared at each other for a while before i broke the contact.

"hey niall?" i asked as i wrapped the paper and threw it into a plastic bag along with the rest of the trash.

"hmm," he answered, swallowing the last piece of sanwich.

i sighed. "do you think i should go home? do you think he'll still be there?"

a few seconds passed before he finally replied, softly.

"i dont know, allison. i really dont know."

i looked out the window as i slowly made my decision.

would it be a good idea? probably not.

would he still be the same person i remembered from my childhood?

or would he have realized his mistakes and eventually changed his personality?

the last one seems impossible, more like a miracle actually.

but then again, how would i know? its been years since i've had a conversation with him, and most of them were never decent.

what happened to his old life? what made him come back after all these years? how long does he plan to stay? will he leave again just like he did before?

when i turned my head to face Niall, i saw his expression changed.

"you want to go back, don't you?"

i nodded, looking down at my lap. "i feel like i should. would you mind? you know, to take me home?" [see what i did there ;)]

he lifted my chin with his finger, "hey, its alright. i'm here if you need me, okay?"

i gave him a genuine smile before he proceeds with the journey. soon enough, the car was reversed and we were out of the small empty parking lot at the back of the food court.

during the ride, a silence fell over us. it wasn't a bad kind of silence. we didn't bother turning up the volume of the radio, the only sound that could be heard was the contact of the tyres against the road and the soft drizzle of rain as it hit the windows.

i paid attention to the environment outside as we passed by trees and houses with huge fences surrounding them as well as a few rubish littered here and there on the pavement.

Niall decided to break it by bringing up a conversation.

"allison? can i ask you a question?"

"yeah?" i took a glance at him.

"did he ever, like, hurt anyone?"

i shifted uncomfortably at the mention of my father. "well.. he wasn't abusive, but he was quite aggressive. he would start fights over little things [see what i did there..again] and he wouldn't stop until he has won."

"did he ever.. hurt you?" he said hesitantly.

"um.. the only time he has ever hit anyone was when he was really angry and i mean, like, fuming angry." i continued, "i- there was once but- but it was an accident, at least i think it was."

with that, i saw Niall's shoulders tensed and his grip on the steering wheel tightens. he dropped the conversation, knowing quite well that i didn't want to talk about it.

i placed a hand on his arm and he turned towards me.

"are you sure you want to do this?" concern written all over his eyes.

"sure, im gonna have to face him sooner or later. plus," i added, "i need to catch on my homework after all those school hours we've ditched."

he chuckled lightly, "only you can think of doing homework at a time like this."

___________________________

20 minutes had passed and we finally arrived at my house.

i sat frozen on the car seat. my fingers rested on my lap instead of reaching towards the car door. it is now that i realized i have no idea what to say to my father. how do i approach him?

i felt Niall's hand on mine as he said, "goodluck, you can do this."

i slowly stepped out of the car and crossed the front lawn of my house. as i reached the back door, i looked back at Niall's car parked at the neighbor's just like i had instructed him to as i didn't want him having a chance of meeting my messed up father.

i gave a little wave as a signal that i was okay and that he can drive away, but the car stood still in it's position. i waved once more and got the same result.

i'm guessing he would leave after i get inside, so i picked up my courage and opened the door.

"hello?" i stepped inside.

the first thing i saw was the kitchen, luckily it wasn't messy and there was still some food available.

i heard a grunt from the living room and i knew he wasn't asleep.

i walked through the doorway and there he is.

hi so i made another chapter 16 as i have no idea what happened to it. there are some changes but i bet its barely noticeable 😂👀 its almost midnight and im sooo tired but the things i do for you all, amirite?😉

-j