t w e n t y

[ N i a l l ]

"you heard me, Niall. break up with her and come back to me, baby"

the words that completely shattered what was left of my patience and optimism that i was trying so hard to grasp onto.

i threw the phone across the wall, already done with everything that went wrong. i cried out in frustration, the hurt and rage spreading to every part of my body too unbearable to contain.

knowing that whatever choice i make, whichever path i take, i would have to take responsibility for the consequences.

what do i do?
what do i do?
what do i do?

the rest of my friends stare at me full of worry and pain in their eyes waiting for what was to come next.

i knew i had to give them an answer soon, i couldn't just sit here, not think of a decision and pretend that my girlfriend won't possibly die due to the lack of blood.

that's it. she's going to be alive and healthy and back to her old self again, and i'm going to do whatever it takes.

she might be mad at me, no, more like disapppointed. her heart might be torn to shreds and heck, i might even cause her more pain that i ever did.

but anything to keep her alive. i hope her father realize what he's done. he's gonna pay for it.

i rose up from my seat unsteadily, "megan will do it, i'll make sure she does. allison's gonna be okay."

"no, hang on." gem senses my hesitation. "there must be something, there's always something when it comes to megan," gem interjects. "what is it, Niall?"

i look at her in sadness and despair, trying to give her a hint without saying the words i could barely comprehend out loud.

apparently she caught on to my hinting a few seconds later and shook her head. "no," she whispered. "no, how could you do this to her?"

she stomped her way towards me and pointed her finger at my chest. "excuse me, mister, but i am not letting you make her feel relieved and think you're a hero for saving her back, only for you to break her heart once she finds out that you've gone back with that spoilt girl, megan," she spits out.

i ran my hands through my hair, aware of the tears that are about to spill down my face.

"look, gem." i took her by her shoulders and stare at her intensely. "i know how you feel. do you think i didn't make this decision without thinking carefully?! do you think i would purposely do this just so i could hurt her?! I wouldn't ever do that, do you hear me?"

"but does it look like we have any better ideas? her life is in danger and we're already running out of time. yes, i know she might not forgive me for leaving her, i might not be able to even forgive myself for doing this, but if this means she would stay alive, then so be it."

she took a step back and slowly forced a small nod. "fine, go do whatever you want, but you'll have to bear the consequences," she warned.

i picked up my phone on the floor, checked for any scratches or broken pieces and without wasting any more time, called back the number of the person whom i despise and whom might also, no doubt, save the love of my life.

"niall" someone called out.

i turned around and meet riley's eyes. "what you're doing for her is a good thing, remember that. sooner or later, megan will be out of the way and you'll be back in your girl's arms." he gave me an encouraging smile. and so did jai and gem who were hugging.

i could only nod as a sign of appreciation and jogged towards the lobby on the first floor where megan told me to meet her.

i rushed downstairs and looked around, only finding nurses and doctors talking to each other, parents guiding children by their hands and the janitor. she's not here yet, i thought to myself. she had better kept her word. i sat down, exhausted, with the rest of the visitors and waited.

after what seemed like 10 hours but was only 5 minutes, i was woken up by a nudge on my shoulder. i guessed i had dozed off to sleep. where is that goddamn girl?

"well, well, well. hello there niall."

there she is.

a thousand apologies, my fellow readers :") hope you're still enjoying the book (even though we rarely update it) 🤓❤️

-j