One

Fourth of July Fireworks

    "Dean! Come on, hurry up, we're gonna miss the fireworks!" little eight-year-old Sammy pounds his tiny fists on his older brother's bedroom door. It's July 4th, 2009, also known as Fourth of July and Sam just can't wait to watch the fireworks from his and his older brother's special place. On the other side of the bedroom door, is twelve-year-old tween Dean Winchester spiking up his dirty blonde hair and fixing the collar on his burgundy flannel.

    "Coming, Sammy, just give me a second." Dean shot one last look in the mirror and gave himself a satisfied look. He opens the door just to see a pouty-faced Sam with his arms crossed saying, "Finally, what took you so long?"

    "I gotta look good for the girls, Sam." Dean winked. He may just be twelve, but he sure is a flirt. Sam sighed and rolled his eyes. "Dean, no hot chick is gonna like a shorty like you." Dean playfully punched his little brother and then they head out.

    They walked by themselves to a forest a few miles away. About an hour later, Sam and Dean made it to the forest and immediately found the two trees with a heart-shaped hole in the middle. Dean found the trees a few years back when him and Sam were new to the neighborhood and they went on a walk with their parents John and Mary Winchester. Sam and Dean were playing hide and seek when Dean found the trees and decided to hide behind it. The trees were grown right next to each other but they grew outwards and then a thick branch from both trees curved inwards into a somewhat shape of a heart. A few months later, the two boys convinced their father to make a tree house on the two trees and ever since then it has been Sam's and Dean's favorite place to go.

    Sam ran to the ladder and climbed his way up with Dean following afterwards. The older brother unzips his backpack and pass his little brother a peanut butter sandwich and then unwraps a grilled cheese sandwich for himself. They sat by the opening that gave them a perfect view of the neighborhood and the nearby park. Sam chews slowly and occasionally sips his apple juice while Dean repeats his pattern of bite, chew, swallow, sip, bite, chew, swallow sip.

    It was nearly time for the fireworks when Sam asked Dean a question. "Dean?" He looked over to his right to face his younger brother and nods. "Why doesn't Mommy and Daddy watch the fireworks with us anymore?" Dean stopped and swallowed his potato chip. He remembers the last time he and his whole family were together as a whole and watching the fireworks. But that was three years ago, Sam was just five and he was nine. "Sammy, they can't make it this year, but next year they'll be here for sure." Dean partially lied. He knew his parents wouldn't make it next year for the same reason they stopped coming. They don't have that much money and John and Mary feared that they will become broke so they decided to work extra hours and during holidays so they can get more money.

    "You said that last year.." Sam mumbled under his breath. Dean frowned then sighed. He felt bad that his brother didn't spend the holidays with his parents as much anymore. To be completely honest, Dean didn't care if they came or not. He understood and just wanted to spend time with his brother, but Sam still wanted his parents.

    Boom! Boom! Boom!

    Red, white, and blue sparkles lit the night sky. Sam's face brightened as he saw the lights fly. Dean smiled as he looks at the excitement in his little brother's face.

    "Sammy," Dean called out to his brother as he pulls out sparklers and a lighter. Sam jumped up from where he was sitting and grabbed the lighted sparkler from his brother's hand and started waving it around in the air. Dean lit his sparkler and waved it around with Sam.

    After hours of watching exploding fireworks and playing around with sparklers and eating chips, Sam and Dean left the tree house and began to walk home. As they walked, Dean gave his brother the last sparkler to play with. He waved it around and pranced next to Dean. About five minutes away from their home, a bunch of high school students were playing with their own firecrackers on the street. Sam and Dean were only a few yards away from them. One boy sets up his firecracker then he lights it up, but when he lit it up, he accidentally kicked it over but didn't see it fall. The firecracker points directly to Sam. Dean notices and right when it explodes, he pushes Sam out of the way and they tumble down the steep street. Dean felt his eye get hit with something but he holds onto Sam while they roll down the hill and then Dean hits his head forcefully on a car, causing the two to halt and Dean to pass out.

.....