Sixteen

Wanted to be a Better Brother

    Days later, Sam and Dean came back home. Dean had been seeing colors during that time but Sam's disability to see colors was driving him crazy.

    "Sammy, can you ge- are you okay?" Dean was using his crutches and walked into Sam's room only to see him looking angry at two green socks and one blue sock. Sam immediately saw Dean and nervously chuckled.

    "Just putting on my socks." Then he put a green sock on his left foot and the blue one on his right.

    "You okay Sammy?"

    "Yeah, I'm fine. Why you asking?"

    "Because I know you have an OCD problem and you hate mix matching socks." Dean pointed at his brothers feet and Sam face-palmed himself.

    "Dean, I can't see colors."

....

    "Sam, you'll be alright." Dean lied. They were at Sam's school and Dean was worried about Sam's first day at school without colors. He remembered his first time not seeing colors at school. It had been difficult and stressful.

    Sam looks at his dull black and white school and they both got out of the bus.

    "Sammy, use these." Dean gave him his color pencils.

    "Why do you have color pencils?" Sam took them and observed them.

    "They helped figure out what shade is what color. Learned that the hard way. Couldn't find any labels so I had to label them myself." Dean grinned at his brother as he looked at the labels and tried to match them up with the color of his jean jacket.

    "Thanks Dean." He hugged his brother then made his way to the entrance of the school. Dean turned towards the direction of the school and started walking.

    "Dean, not to be rude, but what happened to your leg?" Castiel showed up behind him.

    Dean gave a fake smile. "I was swinging in the jungle with Tarzan." Castiel gave him a look. "Car accident." Castiel nodded.

    "Why are you walking? Shouldn't you be resting?"

    "Yeah, I was gonna head home after I dropped Sam off but then you saw me so I have no choice but to go now."

    "Speaking of Sam, was he in the car during the accident?" Castiel gave a concerned look. Dean kept smiling, trying to pretend that he's alright.

    "He was. But he's fine for now. They said he wasn't going to make it. Look who proved them wrong." Dean thought about his brother and how he blames himself for being a terrible brother.

    "He's strong, just like his brother." Dean looks at Castiel.

    "Yeah, I guess." He gave him a quick smile then looked forward.

    "You're a good brother, you know that, Dean."

    "If you think being a 'good brother' is almost getting my own brother killed, then yeah, I'm the best in the business." Dean sighed.

    "You think almost getting your brother killed is what good brother does?"

    "Cas, I was being sarcastic."

    "Oh, right."

    They stayed together and talked until the bell rang.

    "Hey, Dean. Do you want to do the hang out after school?"

    "Sure why not? See ya, Cas." Dean said as they walked opposite directions.

    "What's up, one-legged bitch." a bright redhead greeted Dean. Dean smiled and playfully punched her.

    "Hey Charlie."