Eleven

Don't be a Scrooge

Castiel's Journal 07/04/11:

"It's my second year being Dean Winchester's guardian angel. I've noticed Dean's behavior changing as he slowly becomes a young adolescent. His voice became deeper but is always cracking and his face began to grow pimples. He grew a few inches taller and now he has to get bigger clothes since his other clothes won't fit anymore.

"Even though his physical appearance has changed, his personality was the same. He still cares for Sam, he still enjoys wearing flannels, he still picks at the hem of his shirt when he's nervous, and he still flirts with countless girls. Dean is still the cocky bastard he has been since before his accident.

"Although Dean may seem normal for a fourteen-year-old boy, he still carries color pencils around because of the lack of color that reaches his eyes. Whenever Dean finishes his homework, he studies the color pencils and test himself if he can get any of the shades to match with the color he thinks it is. He fails almost every time he tests himself but sometimes he gets it right if he imagines the exact shade.

"Everyone in school thinks that Dean is colorblind. One day, his history teacher asked him where the green continents were at and since Dean couldn't tell what color it was, he made his best guess and picked a dark shaded-in continent. His teacher made fun of him and asked if he was colorblind and the only way Dean could get away with it was if he said he was. So he did and now everyone thinks that he's colorblind even though it's not colorblind but it's still color absence so he just went along with it.

"Today, Dean got ready to go to the park with Sam. He wore dark jeans, a black shirt, and a brown leather jacket. Sam wore light jeans and a green sweater. Sam had grown quite taller too. He started copying the older brother's style but today he just wore a sweater since he can't handle cold weather.

"In my head I saw a car going out of control and hitting both Sam and Dean. I had to prevent that from happening so I hid the shoes that Sam was going to wear so they would be late and avoid getting hit by that car. Ten minutes later, Sam found his shoes and they left. After ten minutes of walking, they saw a car that was crashed into a tree. They eventually arrived at the park safely and watched the fireworks. Dean devoured his burgers while Sam chewed his popcorn one by one. I planted a colored memory into Dean's head so he could enjoy the show too.

"I've been planting colorful memories in Dean's head but I make sure he forgets it. I only do it so Dean could have a good time with his brother. I erase the colors but not the feeling. He still feels the excitement and happiness, I just give him a reminder of how he used to feel when he could see colors.

"Last Christmas was Dean's second colorless Christmas. Sam asked if he wanted to see the Christmas lights with him, but he declined. Dean managed to go through every holiday just seeing gray but Christmas was Dean's favorite holiday and he doesn't want to ruin it by looking at dull Christmas lights. He refused to look at any Christmas lights until he can see their actual colors. I couldn't force him to go outside so I gave him memories of of colorful Christmas lights flashing and blinking and him and Sam were outside throwing snowballs at each other. Dean fell asleep, dreaming about that memory. A single tear rolled down his cheek. I couldn't help myself, all the guilt I'm feeling. How could I have ruined a boy's life so much?"

Castiel reread that entry. He remembered that day. That Christmas. Sam helped his parents decorate the house while Dean stayed inside his room. He refused to do anything that has to do with Christmas. He doesn't even come out in the morning when they're opening presents. They just leave it outside his bedroom door and Dean takes them inside. He doesn't even open them, he puts them in the corner of his closet next to last year's unopened Christmas presents. Christmas just wasn't the same if you can't see the colors of the lights outside, or the frosted cookies baked fresh from the oven and waiting for Santa, or the ornaments hanging from different areas of the christmas tree.

Castiel stands outside Dean's house. He looks through the window and see Dean going through his closet and looking at all the presents he had gotten for the past four years, thirteen presents in total and over two hundred unopened envelopes filled with money from distant relatives. He noticed a present that didn't say who it was from. Inside was a small rectangular box. Castiel recognized the green wrapping paper and the red bow on the left hand corner. Dean had received it last year when he was fifteen. He asked Sam if he knew who it was from but he doesn't know either. He said that wasn't even under the tree, it just appeared on top of all his presents when they were outside his room.

Dean debated on whether or not he should open it. Castiel teleported into Dean's room without him noticing. He watched Dean think it through before he does anything. He shakes his head and puts it away, along with all the other presents. Castiel left his room and appears back outside. He watched as Dean piled the presents back in his closet then closed it up. He crawls into his bed and slowly drifts to sleep.