Chapter 7 || Too Close

Nandini's POV

I wake up the next day to the sound of my phone ringing at the top of it's voice. Grumbling I fumble around and grab it, glancing at the caller ID.

I sigh.

It's Navya.

She's probably just calling to blast me for not having the time to talk to her for so many days.

Me and Navya have been best friends since we met for the first time in college 3 years ago, and the two of us bonded during the ragging.
I remember spewing itching powder on the sweater of a senior who'd been ragging and irritating us for two whole weeks and no one seemed to have the guts to stand up to him.

Navya had helped me sneak into the boys dorm way past midnight when we thought everyone will be fast asleep, so that I could get my hands on his sweater and spray the itching powder in it. I remember how the guy had spent his whole next day scratching his back like a monkey while all his friends and batchmates laughed at him. Remembering his red, angry face still made me smile.

That night was also the night where I had met Arnav for the first time. He'd been walking around the corridors of the dorm, a bottle of water in his hand when I had banged into him, not seeing him in my hurry to escape from the dorm.
I remember how he'd stared at me bewildered, and shocked, seeing a girl in a boys dorm while I had ran off in the other direction, embarrassed and guilty. But though me and Navya had thought he'd tell everyone it was me behind the itching powder incident, and we'll be caught, he never told.
He'd let me escape...

I snapped out of my thoughts as my eyes closed in pain remembering Arnav.
Don't think about him right now Nandini.
I warned myself.
Snap out of it.

So this was how me and Navya became fast friends. She was my partner in every prank I pulled off. And we would take the blame for it together every time in case we happened to get caught which in case you are wondering was very rare.

With a sigh I picked up my phone. Before I could even utter a word Navya beat me to it.

"Nandini!!" She yelled in a highly annoyed voice making me flinch at the high pitch.

"Where have you been the past 4-5 days!!??" She yelled angrily.
"You have a friend too you know, whom you can remember from time to time, or have you forgotten!!?" She exclaimed sulking.

I sighed.

"Sorry Navu I've been busy with the album actually. We've started working on it you see." I said tired.

"But was'nt the album supposed to start next week?"

"Yes it was. But due to some reason Mr Singhania preponed it. It's started 3 days ago." I explained.

"Ohhhhh!! How is it going????" Navya asked eagerly, her previous anger forgotten.

"Don't even ask Navu." I mutterred darkly.

"Why!? What happened!?! Is there any problem???" Navya asked curiously.

"The lead singer opposite me...." I began.

"Wait a sec. Who is your partner in this album?? I just realised I'd never asked." Navya said sheepishly.

I groaned.

"It's some guy named Manik Malhotra and..."

"What!!??? Manik Malhotra!!" Navya screamed in excitement on the phone.

"The Manik Malhotra is your partner for this album!!!????" Navya asked excitedly.

"Yeah" I muttered. My voice showing it's complete lack of enthusiasm.
"Oh my god!! Manik Malhotra!! " Navya cried dreamily.