Chapter 38

Christmas was a holiday that Harry always tried to avoid honestly. Christmas was a time for family and before he didn't have a family so he wasn't very holly jolly. But now? Now Harry had his own family and a damn happy one at that. It wasn't even Christmas yet, rather it was an even more important day. The day before Christmas but that didn't mean anything. 

It was Louis' birthday. 

What even was this Christmas eve people are talking about?

All Harry knew was that he had a super busy day ahead of him. Louis' entire family was coming over and so was Gemma to help him throw a surprise party for him. Harry knew Louis wouldn't want anything big and he could definitely understand why. Louis had never been one to want to be in the center of attention and a big birthday bash would be a definite no. So he just assumed that having a small get together with the people who mean the most to him would be just fine. 

Harry smiled softly as he fixed the breakfast he had put on the tray, his eyebrows furrowed slightly. Of course he was gonna bring his boyfriend breakfast in bed. Harry added just the right amount of milk to his tea, laying the daisy vertically by the fork and knife. He finally felt like it was suitable for Louis, slowly walking up the stairs. If he made one wrong move, Louis' breakfast would go flying and this day would very quickly suck. 

Eventually he made it upstairs, smiling as he walked into their bedroom. Louis was still sound asleep and Harry really couldn't be any more in love. He definitely looked the most peaceful when he was either sleeping or with Jackson. 

Harry bit his lip as he placed the tray on his small table beside the bed, a small grin growing on his face. "Baby?" He whispered, reaching down and pushing his hair off his forehead. "Love, wake up.." Harry smiled, kissing the tip of his nose. 

Louis scrunched his face together, whining high in his throat. "Go away, leave me alone." He mumbled, pulling the blankets up over his head.

Harry rolled his eyes, sighing out heavily as he sat on the edge of the bed. "Fine. I guess I'll just eat your breakfast that I slaved over a hot oven for hours just for you." He breathed, puffing out his cheeks as he grabbed a piece of toast, holding it up to his lips just as he heard Louis speak up. 

"Western omelette with some toast?" Louis whispered, peering over the top of the blanket childlike. 

Harry grinned, holding up the cuppa. "No sugar." He said softly. "Because who in their right mind adds sugar to tea?!" Harry feigned mock, laughing as he grabbed his chest. 

Louis pouted, huffing as he sat up and took the cuppa. "Only weird people like sugar in their tea." He pointed out. 

Harry raised an eyebrow, pointing to himself because he liked a little sugar in his tea. But Louis simply waved him off. "My point exactly weirdo." He teased.

Harry rolled his eyes and shook his head, smiling as he placed the tray across his lap, kissing the top of his head. "Enjoy Lou, I'll be back in just a bit." He smiled before he stood up, stepping out into the hallway. Harry walked into the spare guest bedroom, biting his lip as he reached under the mattress for the small ring box, a shaky sigh escaping his lips. 

He was absolutely terrified. He didn't know how Louis would respond or what he would do. It was the scariest thing he's felt and he's literally been shot before. But nothing could prepare him for this. Harry looked down at the box, smiling small as he looked down at the ring, nodding. He'd do it later when everyone was here and having a good time. 

Maybe by then he can actually build up the nerve. 

~~~

"Chicken!" "Goose!" Gemma shouted which caused Harry to laugh because his sister was such an idiot.