Chapter Six

After the awkward spat between the two, Judith finished out the rest of her shift without a peep from Fred. Alma left before her, calling out a goodbye while Judith untied her apron, hanging it on a hook. She grabbed the keys to lock up the shop and walked outside, noting Fred standing beside her. The smile from his face was gone, the entire time she worked, he had sulked in the corner.

She needed help with her situation and she knew she could only go to one person who would be able to give her sound advice.

Locking up, Judith slipped the keys into the pocket of her coat and headed down the sidewalk.

"If my memory serves me correct, you live there." Fred finally said breaking the silence.

"I'm not going home right now."Judith said.

"Ah, where are we going then?"

"We're going to go talk to my grandmother."

"So, your grandmother will be able to see me?" Fred asked as they walked side by side.

"Yes, she's the best one in the family when it comes to all this...stuff. This so called gift is inherited from her."

"Your whole family can do this then?"

"Well, my grandmother can. My father couldn't and my brother can but the spirits only contact him in his sleep."

She ignored the stares she received from people passing by them.

"That sounds slightly terrifying."

Judith shrugged. "I liked to believe that I took after my father and didn't inherit the gift. But lo and behold, my dead classmate has come back to haunt me..." she looked to him.

"I am not haunting you." Fred laughed. "Admit it, you enjoy my company. Not as much as my brother's apparently, but you like the fact that I'm around."

"Yes, I like the fact that my one friend and co-worker thinks I've gone mad because it looks like I'm talking to myself when I'm around you."

"Alma is your only friend?" Fred said in disbelief.

Judith looked to the ground, scuffing her shoes against the ground with a shamed look.

"After Renna passed, I really didn't want any other friends. I just...I just wanted Renna back, but no one is like Renna. She was like my sister. We were best friends. We laughed, cried and fought together and just like that, she was gone."

"She died in the Battle of the Hogwarts..."

Judith swallowed. "Yeah," her voice cracked softly as she tried not to tear up. "Death Eater got her right in front of me. There was nothing I could do, I took out the bastard but it didn't bring Renna back."

Fred fell quiet as Judith wiped at her eyes quickly. Hearing how close the two girls had been, reminded him of George instantly and he felt the guilt return knowing that George had probably felt the same or worse after losing him.

"Sorry." she said to him.

"You ...you don't have to be sorry, Judith. I'm sure Renna never wanted to leave your side."

"Thank you."

Arriving to the Wagner household, Judith climbed up the steps and knocked on the door before letting herself in.

"Nana?" she called out as Fred followed her in.

The Wagner home reminded Fred of the Burrow, with the warm home like feeling he sensed upon walking in.