Chapter 17: Arcanum

Sasuke's POV
"Ahh! Damn Kaya, that's cold!" I reached my arm up into the back of my shirt and pulled the ice pack out. "Why'd you do that?" I stared at her and refused to look away until she answered.

"To get rid of the heavy tension."

"That's just plain stupid." Throwing the ice pack down, I took one big stride to the bed. Grabbing her wrists, I pinned her down to the bed. I sort of felt a sense of satisfaction when a very noticeable blush rose to her cheeks. I leaned my face down just inches from hers.

"You are really stupid." Releasing her wrists, I got off the bed. "I've got to get going."

Unlocking the door, I left her room and started going down the stairs.

"You don't really think that do you?" I paused just at the bottom of the stairs. Her mom's voice was easily heard from the kitchen.

"Well, you have heard about their reputation."

"But Hansuke, you really think he would go that far as to hurt Kaya?"

"I can't say he wouldn't."

I felt an anger rising in me. I just knew they were talking about me.

"Hey Sasuke. What're you still doing..." I quickly turned around and put a finger to my lips, shushing Kaya. She came down and stood next to me, trying to listen.

"But if he really did do that to her, it's not like we can do anything. Imagine what his family would do to us."

I couldn't stomach anymore of this. Slowly, I backed up the stairs towards Kaya's bedroom. Because of HIM, our family is feared to the point of it being considered a gang.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kaya's POV
I felt movement behind me. Turning around, I saw Sasuke slowly backing up the stairs. His face was looking kind of pale, yet still composed.

"Sasuke?" I briskly walked up the steps. Just when I reached him at the top step, my foot caught and I tripped. Once again I fell on top of Sasuke.

"Kaya, is everything all right?" My mom called from the kitchen. When I didn't respond back, I heard her steps coming closer.

"What are you two doing?" My eyes widened a my mom started coming up the stairs. Then I realized the position we were in did look pretty bad.

My knees were straddling his hips while his hands gripped my waist tightly. Worst of all though, when I fell,our lips accidentally locked together.

Again.

The only sign that this wasn't planned was our eyes. Both of us had our eyes widened in surprise. I quickly pushed myself away from him and got up off the floor. I offered him a hand, but he brushed it off.

"I, uh... I need to go. Bye." Bolting down the stairs, he escaped from the house.

"What was that about?" Glancing at my mother, I saw her "give me an answer now, young lady" face on.

"I accidentally tripped and Sasuke caught me."

"Come into the kitchen. We need to talk."

Sighing, I followed after her. Now if only I could figure out how to explain it without making it seem like Sasuke's fault.

Wait. Why do I care about that idiot?

"Kaya, sit down and tell us about that bruise."

"I already told you what happened."

"And that was the truth?"

"Yes!" Both of my parents gave me a look that said "I don't believe a word you're saying."

"Okay." Still skeptical, my father agreed to trust what I said.

"Kaya, listen to me. Whatever happens, don't make an enemy of Sasuke."

"Why?" Confusion laced through that single word.

"That's not important. Just promise you won't do anything to make him mad."

The fear in both of their eyes made me question who Duckass really is.

[so comment, vote, follow, spread the word. Sorry it's short, but I couldn't think of a way to draw this out. Bye:)]