Chapter 1-New School

Picture of Piper above, played by Zooey Deschanel.
.
.
.
Piper's POV
I wake up to the sound of my demanding alarm. With a groan, I roll over and slap at the screen of my phone. I lay in bed for a minute, staring at the ceiling. Groaning louder, I roll out of bed and make my way to the bathroom.
It is the first day at a new school, and the idiots there had forgotten to send me a reading list until two weeks ago. Which would've been fine, if I wasn't moving that week. After losing the list in the mail, I had received the letter only two days ago.
I spent the entirety of the last days of my summer locked in my room. I hissed at the light when my parents attempted to persuade me to come out. But I couldn't afford to waste any time, and kept my conversations with my parents to a minimum, desperate to finish and earn the respect of my teachers.
The fact that Logan had already been sent off for his first year of college had helped, since my brother wouldnt be around to bother me. He stayed in Tampa, and attended college in Florida while I was forced to finish my last two years of high school in Idaho.
I huff, seeing my greasy hair and bloodshot eyes. I almost didn't finish my book yesterday, forcing me to give up sleep and hot water. I spray as much dry shampoo as I dare, and then brush my teeth before applying makeup to conceal my obvious lack of sleep.
I walk downstairs in a white lace dress, and lace up my black combat boots and grab an apple before walking to school.
"Hello, you must be our new student!" a lady greets when I found my way to the office. She has warm brown eyes and grey hair. Her smile is infectious.
"I'm Piper," I say, shifting my textbooks in my arms so I can extend my hand to her.
"It's a pleasure," she says, shaking my hand with a delicate grip. "My name is Mrs. Smith." She releases my hand, and I shift my books again so they weren't digging in my side. I wait for her to continue.
"Oh snap!" she exclaims, and I chuckle. "I'm sorry sweetie, you're here for your schedule. Silly me!" She rummages through a filing cabinet, and then turns to me. "Here is your schedule, judging from your previous grades we have you in some of our more rigorous courses. If you find any problems at all, you have two weeks to see a school counselor and they can move you to a different class. This is a map of the school, and the main building is here, the library is here, and the athletics center is here," she informs me, tapping on several locations with her pen methodically. "And finally, give this to each of your teachers and have them sign it and return it to me at the end of the day. Good luck and have a great day! Don't be afraid to ask me for help if you need anything at all!"
"Thank you so much!" I beam at her, and exited the office.
It is a small school, only 60 people in my class. People give me curious looks as I walk past. I ignore them, heading straight for my first class.
The first half of the day passes uneventfully. I stumbled through a few awkward introductions in front of my classmates, but their smiles gave me courage. I am on my way to lunch, when a hard body slams against me, sending me into the wall and making me drop my coffee.
"Watch it, dimwit," I snarl, pissed that I no longer had my caffeine. If I don't have caffeine, then the whole world will suffer. Not to mention, there is a HUGE coffee stain all over my favorite white dress. At least I have my gym clothes... not.
"Sorry, love," the stranger smirks. I look up at him, and when I see into his warm, brown eyes, the world halts. I hear his breathing accelerate, and I shake my head so I can snap out of it.
I give him the best glare I can muster, given that he was built like a god and was tall and handsome with a head of golden blonde hair, and would make any girl drop her panties on command. Except for me.
"Look," I snap at him, shocking him with my hostile tone. "You mess with my coffee, you're in for hell." I stomp away quickly.
"Babe!" he calls. I stumble slightly, feeling pleased. Wait, what? Snap out of it, Piper!
"I'm not your babe!" I yell at him. "Go to hell, and clean up this mess while you're at it!"
I barely have a chance to bask in his expression before I turn on my heels and make myself scarce in the crowd.