Chapter 2: Finding My Mate

Picture of Kai above, played by Jensen Ackles.
.
.
.
Kai's POV
"Kai!" my Beta yelled at me.
"What do you want, Beckett?" I groaned, pulling the comforter over my head, clearly demonstrating I wanted him to leave me alone.
"It's the first day of school, bro!" my Gamma, Oliver, told me, running up the stairs.
"Do we need to get you up ourselves?" Beckett threatens.
"LEAVE!" I bark, attempting to use my Alpha voice. My voice is too sleepy to have any effect on them, so they just laugh at my attempt. I look up and glare at them. "Alright, fine. I'm up. But there had better be the hottest girl in the world at that damned school for you to wake me up at this hellish hour," I grumbled, standing up running a hand through my tousled hair.
Beckett and Oliver just laugh at me, and walk downstairs, probably to get breakfast.
I curse under my breath when I realize I have 20 minutes before I need to be ready if I want breakfast. I take a quick shower, towel dry my hair as best I can, and brush my teeth as I throw on the first tshirt and pair of jeans I find in my closet.
I walk down the stairs, to see Sadie flipping pancakes with Oliver's hand on the small of her back, murmuring quietly to each other. Oliver quickly but deliberately brushes over Sadie's mark as he pushes her hair back, and she shudders. I grumble incoherent words as I walk to the table, sitting far away from a grinning Beckett with his blushing mate, Sienna, on his lap.
"Dude, you're so whipped!" I laugh as Beckett groans when Sienna bites her bottom lip. He frees it with his thumb before he turns to me.
"You only say that because you're jealous we have mates, Alpha," Beckett snaps sarcastically.
"Whatever," I respond, taking my plate from Sadie and scarfing down my pancakes.
Sadie laughs and says, "Whoa, turbo, slow down! Don't choke!"
I give her as much of a grin as I can manage, and then open my mouth to show her my chewed food.
"Ew!" she squeals. "Kai that's disgusting!"
I laugh as I pick up my things. "I'm off guys. See you at school?"
"See ya!" they call after me.
I think about driving to school, but since most students are werewolves in my pack, I decide to let my wolf out.
I strip behind a tree and shift into my large black wolf. My wolf is taller than any I've seen, even other alphas. Once my wolf, Leo, is let out, he begins to run towards the school. In no time, we've arrived at the woods nearby, and I shift back, taking my clothes off my ankle and putting them back on.
When I walk into school and through the hallways, wolves all around me bow their heads and whisper, "Alpha!" respectfully.
As I pass the office, I smell a strong scent of lavender and vanilla. It's intoxicating. I force myself to keep walking, even though Leo is off his rocker.
What's going on?! I yell in my head at him, frustrated.
I don't know! he yells back, panicked. I've never smelled something so amazing!
Yeah, well, it's just a smell. Cool it! I demand, frustrated. He stops responding to me after that.
I meet up with Beckett, Sienna, Oliver, and Sadie as I'm heading for the cafeteria.
The smell is so strong it's unbearable. "Do you guys smell that?" I ask.
"Smell what?" Sadie questions, sniffing the air. "I don't smell anything, besides the pack smell and the humans."
"Really?" I ask, incredulous. "It smells fantastic. It's so strong, how can you not smell it?!"
Beckett laughs at me. "Bro, you've lost it!" he tells me before pushing me backwards playfully. I run into a small, soft body.
"Watch it, dimwit," an angelic voice snarls. I turn around curiously, meeting the most gorgeous blue eyes I have ever seen.
"Sorry, love," I murmur to her, while Leo can barely contain himself.
MATE! Leo cries in my head, whimpering for her. Mark her, Kai. Please I'm begging she's beautiful and OURS!
Easy, Leo, I don't want to scare her, I tell him, giving her the smirk that melts every girl that sees it.
But she's unaffected by it. I'm shocked. "Look," my girl snaps at me. "You mess with my coffee, you're in for hell," she threatens, before walking away.
"Babe!" I call desperately. Leo is howling, needing to have her in our arms.
"I'm not your babe!" she yells. Leo gives a cry and I suck in a breath in agony. "Go to hell, and clean up this mess while you're at it!"
My heart breaks as she walks away. I bend down and pick up the empty coffee cup, slowly tearing it in my hands, deep in thought.
"Kai?" Oliver asks. "Dude, what was that?"
"She's my mate, Oliver," I say, diverting my gaze to the ground.