Chapter 19-The Guard

Picture of Olivia above, played by Amy Adams
.
.
.
Piper's POV
I twiddled my thumbs in the back left corner of the cell, careful to make sure I wasn't leaning into the silver bars. I barely had the strength to walk in a circle anymore, and spent the majority of my time sitting in this corner, talking to Olivia.
I couldn't bring myself to talk to her about Jude. Whether she really had no memory of his rejection or not I didn't want to know. But I knew for sure this she-wolf was his mate. She radiated Beta power.
It was disorienting, being in the cells for so long. Neither of us could tell day from night anymore, and the constant burn of torches lining the walls did nothing to help. A sort of torture, no light dictating when to sleep.
I wished for Kai to come save me. It was foolish of me to have run away like that, but now escaping on my own would be a wasted effort. I was sure I would fail, and feared what would happen when I was caught.
Olivia only attempted escape once, or only admitted to once. She had coaxed a guard to her, and kissed him. She was easily able to steal his keys and knock him unconscious, but was quickly found roaming the halls. Jude beat her when he found out. And to further my suspicion of Olivia being Jude's mate, once he found out that the guard had kissed her, he immediately killed him, claiming treason as if she was his Luna. Wolves have a hard time accepting rejection, even if they were the ones rejecting.
Olivia whimpered from her corner of the cell. I looked up from the rat I had been playing with, drumming my fingers here and there so he would scurry after them to investigate.
Olivia winced, leaning forwards, and bit her lip. I smelled the blood from her attempt to stifle her scream.
"What's wrong?!" I exclaimed, quickly crawling across the cement to get to her. I felt the rock digging into my skin and knew I was bleeding, and would wake up with bruises for slamming my knees down so fiercely. I barely felt the pain, just the strangest tingle.
"The bars," she yelped. Olivia turned, and a bubbling red slash stood angry against her pearly white skin. I turned, puffing my cheeks to hold back the bile. "Is it so bad?" she whispered breathily, in shock from the pain.
"No, sweet," I said quickly. "Here, let me go get the guard."
I steeled myself, knowing what I had to do. "Sir?" I cooed to the large man by the steel door.
"Yes, my Luna?" he chuckled darkly. "You can't taunt me into anything. I know what became of the last man who took a she-wolf from Alpha. Don't underestimate me."
"Of course," I nodded. "I'm sorry." I sighed, pushing my hands into my pockets, trying to ignore the dirt that had claimed my clothes and body as its home, and discreetly pulled my shirt down a bit too far.
The man visibly gulped. "Did you need anything, my Luna?" I didn't miss the way his wolf emphasized the my.
"I was just wondering," I said in a high-pitched, distraught voice. My words came out faster as I continued. "If you could be so kind, Sir, as to help my friend? She's injured, from the silver, and something to keep her burn clean would be so appreciated. I would be sure to repay you, but I am just so worried, and I-" I gestured helplessly to Olivia, turning my pleading gaze on the guard, but not before catching her hold her hand to her mouth to hide her snickers.
His eyes bugged out of his head. It's a shame a mated male wolf could be so affected by me, but I knew things wouldn't get to the point of betraying his mate.
"Oh, my Luna," he breathed. "Of course I'd help your friend, but I'm afraid all I have here is some vodka and a spare shirt."
I smiled at him gratefully. "I'll take the vodka, hopefully the alcohol will clean it. But, you keep your shirt. I couldn't ask you to rip apart your clothes for me. Here, take mine, clean it and rip it up for me, would you? I'm afraid I'm not as strong as you are, and the fabric is rather thick." With that, I pulled off my shirt, handing it to him through the bars. He was careful taking the shirt from me, so he wouldn't knock my arm into the silver. His eyes were glued to my chest, and my black bra.
"My Luna," he said. "Even if you won't rip my shirt, at least wear it yourself. This is indecent." I could see the vein in his forehead throbbing as he fought against his wolf.
I couldn't communicate with Holly, but I felt her howling triumphantly. She was on board with the plan, thank the Moon Goddess.
I gave my poor victim an innocent smile, but turned away from his outstretched hand offering me his worn tshirt. I heard him barely stifle a groan. He had a mate. How was I affecting him like this? It made no sense to me.
He threw the shirt at a rat in frustration. "I'll clean and rip the shirt," he grumbled, and took one last look at me before disappearing.
"How are you able to-" Olivia screeched, but I clamped a hand over her mouth.
"Shhh!" I hissed. "He can still hear you!"
She nodded, and I waited a moment before I took my hand away. "How are you able to affect him so?" she asked.
"I don't know," I replied honestly. "But I have a theory."
"Go on," Olivia coaxed. I sighed.
"Well he reeks of some female human," I told her. "So she must be his mate. But I guess you forgot some things about human mates?"
She nodded mutely, casting her gaze to the floor.
"Hey, it's ok," I murmured soothingly. "She-wolves are not as feeble as human females. We know when our mate is in fact ours. Humans don't. They fall in love easier, if only for the support and companionship of another, and some regret forever that decision. Because of this, a male wolf can easily turn on the charm and whisk away a female human without much effort. But, because she is not his true mate, they will never feel more than what their bond forces them to feel."
Olivia nodded her understanding. She opened her mouth to say something, but shut it immediately when the guard returned.
"As you asked, my Luna," he said, staring at me longingly. I smiled my thanks, and as gently as I could, cleaned Olivia's wound and then tied strips of the shirt around her shoulder and over the burn.
"Thank you," I whispered, coming close to the bars.
"No need to thank me, sugar," his wolfish grin pinned me in place in fright. I had forgotten how skilled Jude's fighters seemed to be.
Just as he pressed his lips to mine, fierce and demanding, I smelled the most delicious scent.
"GET THE FUCK OFF HER!" Kai's Alpha voice boomed through the dungeon, freezing me in place.
.
.
.
Sorry about a ton of late updates! I hope you guys can forgive me! I'm expecting about 2 more chapters, and then an epilogue before this book is officially over! Thank you for all of the support, and as always comment, vote, read, share, etc. Love you guys!