Chapter 16-The Runaway

Picture of the pack house above. Warning, this chapter contains some sensual content. Continue with caution if you are underage, or uncomfortable with this topic
.
.
.
Piper's POV
How could Jude do that to his mate?! It just doesn't make any sense. He's supposed to love her, cherish her; instead he's chasing after me.
Kai let out a low growl. I murmured softly to him, trying to get him to calm down. Finally, he did, and the wolves let out relieved breaths. Kai turned me around and started pushing me to the stairs, away from the wolves held prisoner.
"Wait!" Brody called. "You said you'd let us go!"
"I did, didn't I?" Kai mused. "Well, I never said when. And right now, I need some sort of bargaining chip with Jude."
And with that, he scooped me up and carried me bridal style to the pack house.
He laid me down on the bed in his room, and then started pacing. He muttered incoherent words to himself. I just watched as my mate stomped back and forth angrily, like he was caged.
"Kai," I whispered. "Please stop."
He turned to look at me, and stood in the center of the room. He just watched me, waiting for me to say something. When I didn't, he turned back to pacing.
"Kai," I said, more forcefully. "We need to figure this out, together."
He huffed, but examined my face. I narrowed my eyes at him, and he sighed but sat on the edge of the bed next to me. I flipped his hand over and traced the lines on his palm nervously. He shivered.
"Piper," he breathed. "Stop that."
I paused for a moment. "Why would Jude do something like that? I couldn't have been for me."
"I don't know," Kai said, clenching his teeth. "I don't understand how a wolf could be so careless. A handful of wolves do reject their mates, for whatever reason, but for them to kill their own mate..." Kai stopped, and made a choking sound.
"Hey, hey," I cooed. "Don't think about that. I'm here." I resumed tracing his palm. He growled, and then groaned.
"Piper!" he said, frusterated. "I told you to stop that. I can't control myself around you, and you're making it worse! Quit before I do something you'll regret!"
"Something I'll regret?" I asked. "What about you?"
He was silent. I focused on my fingers, and drew squiggly patterns around his knuckles.
"I won't regret it, Kai," I told him, looking him in the eye.
He sucked in a breath. "Are you sure, love? You have to be sure. Leo won't let me stop."
I nodded, and reached up and pressed my lips to his. He groaned and stabilized my head with his hand, forcing my mouth open. Our tongues danced together, and I moved forwards to sit in his lap.
I wrapped my arms around his neck and ground my hips into his. He growled fiercely, grabbing my hips to help. I bit my lip, and looked at him.
Kai was consumed by lust. I felt the bulge in his pants, his heavy breathing, and his fingers shaking against the hem of my shirt before he pulled it off.
He admired me, playing with the lace on my bra. I reached out and pulled his shirt off, returning the favor. He smirked, and then his face grew serious.
"Love, this is your last chance," he said earnestly. "I don't think I'd be able to-"
"Kai, it's ok," I replied. "I'm ready. I want to do this."
And that sentence is what led to our undoing.
.
.
.
I woke up with Kai pressed against my back, both of us still naked from last night. I smiled to myself. I was a mated she-wolf now. I rolled over and kissed Kai on the forehead before getting out of bed and into the shower.
Once I finished, I wrapped a towel around my body and blow dried my hair and brushed my teeth.
I walked into the closet and took out some clothes to wear for the day. A pair of thick black leggings, a black tank top, and sneakers. I packed a backpack with extra clothes just in case I needed to shift, and a few toiletries like toothpaste and deoderant.
Finally, I pulled out my red cloak, and tied it under my chin to keep warm.
I made my way over to Kai's bed, and sat down on the edge next to him. "I know you're not going to like what I'm about to do," I said. "But you have to trust that I'm doing what's best for us, and the pack. I love you, don't forget that."
I kissed his temple, and squeezed his hand, not wanting to leave his side. Finally, I found the courage I needed and pulled myself off the bed. Kai stirred, and I froze in place, thinking I was caught. He sighed my name, and wrapped his arms around the pillow I'd been laying on. I giggled.
Beckett nor Oliver were there to stop me, and it was easy so swear a few guards to secrecy with a Luna command. Kai would eventually think to interrogate the guards, and his command would overpower mine, but at least I had bought myself some time.
I pulled my hood up against the biting wind, and made my way through the tree line. It took awhile, but finally I had crossed the border without getting caught by patrol.
I ran as fast as I could, not knowing where I should go, but just letting my instincts take over and tell me where to go.
This is a mistake, Holly whined. I should never have agreed to this. I have a bad feeling about this. We need to get back to mate, now!
Hush! I snapped. If you're uneasy, we're getting closer.
Holly didn't complain any more, but I still felt that she didn't like this one bit. That meant shifting to my wolf was out of the question, making this journey a whole lot longer.
Finally, I started to smell a strange smell. It belonged to several wolves. It was a dirty smell, and Holly panicked.
We have to get out of here! she howled. Back to mate!
Nonsense, I said. Grow a pair.
Excuse you, she snorted. We don't need to, that's what Kai is for. He has a pair, in more ways than one.
I growled at her. Dammit, not now!
I was rudely pulled out of my thoughts by a cold object slamming into my temple. I saw stars, and then only blackness. Finally.
.
.
.
Hello everyone! As always I appreciate everyone who is taking the time to read my story. Comment, vote, read, share, and all that. Once this story is finished, I will be starting a new one. I have a few ideas, but if anyone has suggestions for me, leave me a comment! Xoxo