Chapter 12-The Beta

A song I thought goes with this story, if you're like me and like to listen to music while reading
.
.
.
Piper's POV
"What do we do?" I gasp. Kai grips my hand.
"We stay calm and stay here. Wolves are going to back up patrol," he assures me. "We're safe here."
I nod, looking over the dessert menu.
"What were you thinking of getting?" he asks.
"Hmm," I murmur. His hand felt amazing as he stroked the back of my hand with his rough thumb. His nose grazed my mark and I shivered.
"Love?" Kai whispered in my ear.
"Huh? What?" I gasp, snapping out if my trance. He smirks, and I blush.
"What do you want for dessert?"
"Chocolate cheesecake," I reply, setting the menu down. He nods at me and summons our waitress over.
When the waitress sets the dessert between us with two forks, I'm drooling. I see Kai looking at me with amused eyes. I take a small bite, and moan in pleasure. It tastes wonderful. I see Kai's eyes turn gold, and I blush, my napkin suddenly becoming very interesting. He picks up his fork, and I watch as he takes a bite himself, his eyes on me the entire time. I gulp, and he smirks.
"Something the matter, love?" he teases. I glare at him.
We finish our cheesecake quickly. He lays his hand on my thigh, and I miss my mouth. He laughs at me, kissing away the chocolate on my cheek and the temperature of the room is suddenly unbearably hot. I smirk, laying my hand on his inner thigh. Kai freezes immediately. I'm playing a dangerous game. I massage his thigh, and his grip on the fork bends it in half. I giggle, and he rests his elbows on the table, his hands covering his face. I move my hand up his leg, and he jerks. His hand grabs my wrist, stopping me.
"Not the time, Piper," Kai groans. "I can't protect you if I have you on your knees, now can I?"
I gasp and smack the back of his head. His face smashes into his hands, and he groans in pain. I stand up, and he quickly throws some cash on the table and follows me out the door. I torture him a bit for that comment, swaying my hips more than necessary as I open the door.
I feel arms go around me. I register that they're not Kai's, and Holly panics. I scream, thrashing against the wolf, seeing Kai's shocked and then enraged face as he glares at whomever grabbed me.
"Hush, sweet," the stranger growls. I freeze, and give Kai a look, begging him to help me.
"Don't touch her!" Kai's Alpha voice fills the parking lot. I'm the only wolf that doesn't cower from him. Holly purrs at it.
Are you crazy?! I shriek.
What?! she asks.
We're being kidnapped and all you can think about is Kai's Alpha wolf! I'm so fed up with this werewolf thing and I haven't even had Holly for a day.
She quiets, knowing she's at fault, but she can't help the mate pull.
Holly, I say. If you want to go to Leo, you have to help me escape.
Finally we agree. I feel my eyes change to gold, which causes Kai's body to stop shaking. I use my extra wolf strength and resume my struggles. I'm a Luna. I'm strong enough to escape a male wolf!
"Silly Piper," he laughs, like he's chiding a toddler. "I'm a Beta, you're not escaping me." I blanch, and Holly howls to Leo. He snaps out of his trance, his eyes no longer clouded over.
Kai lets out a roar and tackles us. I land in between the two men, and Kai reaches around me to grab the man's throat. He releases me, and I stumble to my feet. I feel another man grab me and pull me behind him, and I'm about to growl when Beckett shushes me. Oliver is by his side; Sadie and Sienna are hiding in the trees. They must've been nearby. Weird. The guys leap to help Kai, but four wolves join the fight before they can get to him and it's five against one. The Beta bites into Kai's leg, and I hear his bone break. I sob loudly at his yell. He's at a disadvantage in his human form. He's lifted off the ground, with a silver knife pressed against his neck. The Beta begins to negotiate, Kai for me. Kai begins to tell them no, but a cut to his neck silences him. Holly cries out in despair and I cry harder.
We have to help him! Holly begs.
What can we do? I ask. He'll kill Kai!
Let me handle this, yeah? she asks. I nod, relinquishing control to her. I shift into my wolf, and Holly snarls.
Kai's eyes go wide, and I know he's scared for me.
"Luna," the Beta addresses me, knowing he'll piss me off if he doesn't use my title. "Come with me and I won't hurt your mate."
I growl in defiance, but walk to him. He doesn't release Kai. I grow angrier by the second.
Oliver and Beckett don't dare restrain me as I walk between them to the Beta. They just brush their fingers in my fur. I hear several whimpers and growls, and look around me to see about fifty wolves from our pack, standing around the parking lot in a semicircle behind Beckett and Oliver. Kai tries to growl but the blood loss is weakening him. I stand up on my hind legs, as if to lick Kai's face in apology, but instead I bite down on the Beta's hand, cracking several bones.
He howls in pain, dropping Kai. I whimper, licking his neck, urging him to shift. He does, and his wound is healing faster, but he's still weak. I turn towards the Beta in his wolf form, and give him my most menacing growl.
Get those damn mutts off our land, NOW! Holly yells to the pack, using her Luna voice. They follow her command, immediately attacking the Rogues, as if they need any more encouragement after the attack to their Alphas. Beckett and Oliver attack the Beta, easily overpowering him together and ending his life.
Kai looks up at me with pride in his eyes. I help him to his feet. He shakes out his fur and licks my face.
The Rogues run from the fight once their Beta lies dead on the ground and my Alpha is strong on his feet. Cowards.
Follow them! Kai roars in his Alpha voice. Kill anyone who isn't off pack land in two minutes.
Beckett and Oliver lead the charge toward the Rogues, Sadie and Sienna at their heels. I didn't know the guys would let them join the fight. I guess the prospect of me being kidnapped scared them more than I thought it would.
Kai nuzzled my neck, and I turned my attention on him. He took me behind a tree, and pushed a shirt towards me as we turned our backs to one another, shifting back and quickly getting dressed.
Kai leads me to the Hummer, his arm around me. He lifts me into the passenger seat, as if I was the one who had a severe loss of blood a few minutes ago. He ran to the driver's side, but doesn't start the car. Instead, he looks at me.
"Piper," he says nervously. "You should have never saved me. You should've run with Sadie and Sienna when Beckett and Oliver gave you the chance. But that doesn't mean I'm not greatful. I'm proud of you, my little mate. You're brave, you have heart, and you commanded the pack like a true Luna. I know you've gained their trust, if they didn't love you before they do now for saving all of us. And my wolf is even more fond of you, I love you even more for your courage. You inspire me to be a better man. And because of this, although I really wasn't planning it this way..." he trailed off, chuckling to himself. "Will you marry me, Piper?"
.
.
.
So maybe this cliffhanger is really obvious, but don't doubt my ability to include plot twists! Love all you guys for reading! As usual, comment, vote, share it with you friends and cross your fingers with me that they get addicted, keep reading, and all that! I'll update as soon as possible, but please be patient with me! It's term paper month!