Netflix and Chill Is Not A Euphemism

Week 3, Day 1 (cont.):

"They're not actually going to do anything in your room. I mean, they're literally just going to watch Netflix and chill but that's no euphemism." Hunter says once we're far enough away from them.

"You sure? Jake seemed pretty eager..." I mutter.

"Trust me, if anyone knows him, it's me. They're not going to do anything. What do you want to bet they're going to watch G.B.F.?"

"Never seen that movie,"

He stops dead in front of me and I bump into his chest. He winces slightly. "Okay that's it, my dorm now." He picks me up by the waist and throws me over his shoulder. I try to protest at first but then realize it's no use because he's Hunter and believe it or not, he's strong as hell.

We're in front of his dorm and I feel like it's been weeks since I've been here. He pulls out a small silver key from his pocket and opens the door. The room looks just like how it was last time I was here. The walls on Jakob's side are covered in pride flag after pride flag and his rainbow sheets crash ridiculously with his band posters. "Yikes," I mumble. Hunter's side of the room is covered in heavy metal posters and black bed sheets. He has a few t-shirts hanging around and a pair of torn skinnies are lying on the edge of his bed. I spot a rolled up rainbow poster under his bed and I reach to pick it up. He doesn't stop me so I'm forced to assume that it's okay. I'm also forced to assume that he's gay...

I unroll the poster only to see a cartoon pony with wings and colorful hair smiling up at me. Biting my fist to suppress laughter, I attempt a questioning look. He sighs and snatches it from me. "It's my little sisters poster,"

"Why don't you put it on your wall?" I question.

"Are you kidding? If Jakob saw it he'd go ballistic. I like to keep it concealed under my bed,"

"Might want to find a better hiding spot..."

"Fine, Clare, why don't you hang it for me?" He crosses his arms and I swiftly remove it from his arms. He mutters something about me being stubborn as I search for the tape. I hang up the pony in between his Harry Potter World and Pierce The Veil posters. It's a nice splash of color next to the darkness that I suppose he'd say represents his soul if I asked.

"What's your sisters name?" I gaze up at him.

"Casey,"

"Doesn't she miss her poster?"

"I miss her," he says bluntly.

"Call her?"

"I can't,"

"Why not?"

"You ask a lot of questions," he looks down at me.

"You don't have a lot of answers."

"She's dead." I stop. This definitely wasn't the answer I was expecting. I thought maybe he'd say she was too busy in school or didn't want to talk or was with an annoying parent. But she's dead, like my Hunter. My Hunter.

"I understand," I shrug and he scoffs. "What?" I cross my arms and raise an eyebrow.

"Everyone says they understand but nobody actually does. She died in a car crash with my dad when he was drunk. He let her sit in the front seat and brought her to the bar. He got wasted beyond belief and made her sit in the car. When he finally came back it was well past midnight and she was asleep. None of us ever saw it coming."

I struggle not to snap at him. "Hunter," I say calmly. "Did I ever tell you about my brother?" He shakes his head. "Figures. Anyway, I understand what you mean. It's not easy growing up with a dead sibling especially when you have the mindset that you could save them. I had a twin brother and he died in the womb."