Phone Calls and Complaints

Week 8, Day 7:

I wake up to a good morning text from Hunter and two missed calls from my mom. I groggily pick up the phone as she calls me a third time. "Clare, are you there?" she asks urgently.

"Yeah, of course I'm here, I was just asleep." I check the time, it's only eleven.

"Your father and I are coming up for parents weekend,"

I bolt upright. "Did you just say 'your father and I' as in Dad is coming here?" I try to keep my voice down because Amy is still asleep.

"Yes I did, is there a problem?" her voice is unexplainably calm.

"Only the fact that he hates my guts and wanted to sell me," I complain.

"That's bull and you know it. He's your dad and he loves you very much."

"Now that's a load of – " I get cut off when Amy throws a pillow at my head.

"Go to bed or go outside but stop bothering me." She groans.

"Look, mom, I have to go. But I swear to god if you bring that son of a – " Click. The line shuts off and I slam my phone to the ground.

The past week has been more uneventful than I want to admit. Besides stressing like crazy about end of quarter exams, things between Hunter and I have gotten more and more complicated. We haven't talked since class on Thursday and there's been little to no physical contact, like, not even short and simple hugs. I didn't realize how much of my happiness is based off of him and I'm worried that I've invested too many feelings in him. Not that I can help that, of course.

"You okay, man?" Amy asks, half asleep.

"No, but I'll tell you later. I have to go right now." I change into leggings and a dark blue t-shirt as Amy mumbles something about all of us being so secretive.

I run across the freezing campus and make my way to the boys dormitory. I knock on Jakob and Hunter's door, not caring if they're sleeping.

"Blimey Clare, you're up early!" Jakob says in his fake British accent.

"Yes, Clare Phillips up at eleven in the morning, established October sixteenth. Now where's Hunter?"

"He's in the shower, why?" His face lights up. "Are you guys going to do the diddly-do? But don't! Not this early in the morning." My face burns bright red.

"God no! Jakob, seriously I need to talk to someone."

"Talk to me!" he squeals. "Come sit on my bed with me, talk to papa."

"Sounds great man, but this is serious." His face hardens and he realizes that I'm not okay. He pulls me into a tight hug and brings me to sit on his bed.

"You can always come to me, I want you to know that." I nod my head. "Now tell me what's going on."

"My dad, he's coming up here for that weekend for parents."

"Dude, that's great, isn't it?" He smiles.

I shake my head. "Not at all. My dad is an awful person and I hate him. I don't want you guys to meet him."

He looks at the door to the bathroom then back to me. "What's wrong with him." I shake my head again and bite my lip. "Save that lip biting for Hunter," he smirks and I glare at him. He looks down at his hands. "I get it, not the time, I'm sorry."

"There's a lot to explain and I really don't feel up to it, I'm sorry." I bury my head into his shoulder and he puts his arm around me.

"Tell me one thing from your past," he says. I look into his hazel eyes and I see warmth and happiness mixed with a kind of platonic love while with Hunter I see sadness and harsh winters in his cold green eyes yet there's love somewhere hidden in there and that's when the sea comes out and waves.

I debate what I should and should not tell him. My mother and father never got divorced even after he would slap her until she bled. He never really talked to me and he was out most of the time. He would make money and gamble it all off or spend it on alcohol and drugs. "I was born in Miami," I say.

"No shit Sherlock," he rolls his eyes but lets the subject drop. Just then, Hunter walks out the door, a towel over his shoulders and dark wash skinny jeans hugging his hips. "Hunter!" Jakob hisses then nods his head for me. Hunter's face gets ghostly pale as he struggles to pull on a grey hoodie.

"Hunter," I whisper, my hand going to my mouth. There's a long gash across his stomach, stretching from his belly button to his rib cage.

"I swear it's not what it looks like!" He raises his right arm in the air and makes a cross over his chest.

"Really? Because it looks like you were stabbed." I cross my arms.

He sighs. "I got into a fight at school with this guy once and he had a knife. It's no big deal, it was a few years ago." Jakob lets out a long breath and falls back onto his bed. "What are you doing here, anyway, Clare?"

I look to Jakob and then back to him. "It's not important, I'll see you tomorrow in math, okay?"

"Yeah sure. Is everything okay?" He looks grabs my wrist as I go to leave.

"When has it ever been?" I shrug free of his grasp and rush out the door a little too quickly.

I spend the rest of the day watching Netflix in bed and eating ramen noodles and salt and vinegar chips. Amy doesn't bother to stop by the room or even text.

I'm enjoying the solitude but at the same time I crave attention. 

(A/N: Double update today! Guess what comes after this week......homecoming! Expect more fluff than what's in a feather pillow. If this gets three votes and five comments I'll update on Sunday. Feel free to message me at any time and comment if you have any suggestions or questions. Later lovelies <3 )