Parent's Weekend

Week 11, Day 6:

There they are, my parents. My mom straightened her golden blonde hair and she's wearing a suit that not even a real estate broker can pull off. Her eyes are blue but not as striking as Amy's. She has a tiny button nose that I've always envied and a perfect figure that belongs on a Victoria's Secret model. Then there's my dad. He's decked out in a long sleeved Hawaiian shirt and torn jeans. He has a black beanie placed perfectly on his greying hair. He has a cigarette dangling from his chapped lips and I can smell the smoke even from here.

"Clare!" My mom screams as she runs towards me, her suitcase dragging behind her. My dad stays back, leaning nonchalantly on a tree.

"Hi mom," I smile as genuinely as I can. She doesn't look that different from the day when I first came here.

"When are we going to meet your friends?" she beams.

"Do you have a boyfriend? Because I'll beat the living shit out of the bastard." My dad calls out from behind us.

"Don't listen to him," she whispers in my ear. I grab her bag and lead her to the cabin that they'll be staying in.

"So do you have a boyfriend?" She clasps her hands together like my friends back home would. I just smile and nod slightly, keeping a wary eye on my dad. The guards made him toss out his cig's and he was pretty pissed about that. He's lying on their bed, twiddling his stubby, calloused thumbs.

I hear a knock on the door and I run to grab it before my dad can. Standing in the doorway is Jakob, Hunter, and Amy. Things between Phoenix and Amy haven't been the same since last week. I think we all have our own problems to deal with and they don't want to be caught up in each other.

"Hey, you must be Mister and Misses Phillips!" Jakob exclaims. "I'm Jakob Frost, it's a pleasure to meet you." He shakes their hands. His voice is higher than it usually is and I know that he's playing up the gay for my parents. I didn't prep my parents for meeting anyone so I'm nervous as to how they'll react. My mom's smile brightens and I smile as well. Everything is okay so far.

"Hi, I'm Amy." She waves. Hunter just nods.

"And what's your name, young man?" My father comes up to him. He has a few inches on Hunter and he looks down on him, his arms crossed. Hunter looks to me in desperation but sighs. I see him trying to build confidence.

"The name is Hunter Brown, it's so nice to finally meet you." My dad flinches and I see his knuckles whiten.

"And I'm assuming you're all her friends, correct?" He clenches his teeth.

"Sure," Amy giggles and I stomp on her toe. "Ouch!" She hisses at me."
Hunter runs his hand through his hair. Odd, haven't seen him pick up that habit in quite some time. "Actually, sir, I'm her boyfriend." He stands up tall.

Taking him in, my father holds his hand out. "Use protection," and then he storms off and out the door. I feel my face burn bright red.

"Damn, gurl, you weren't lying about him." Jakob puts his arms around my shoulders and rests his head in the crevice between my neck and chin.

"Trust me, this was mellow for him." I mutter.

"It was lovely getting to know you but I'm afraid I must talk to my daughter right now. She'll join you later. Run along now," my mom interjects.

"What's up?" I ask her.

"Let's take a walk," she states.

We go out the screen door and we walk around campus. I show her the writing house and the music huts as well as many other buildings. She keeps commenting on how beautiful everything is. "Your friends seem nice. Much nicer than the ones back home." She adds.

"You just had to say that," I murmur.

She ignores me. "Especially that Jakob kid. You know the key to someone's soul is through their eyes. He's a very smiley kid but you never see his eyes even crinkle. He's hurting, I know you can tell, so why haven't you helped him?"
"It's complicated. He doesn't accept the help and he doesn't want us to think he's hurting."

"Push it, he'll open up. Now about Hunter."
"Please don't," I beg.

"I won't. But it's still a little coincidental, you know? I guess you just love guys named Hunter. But the way he looks at you, oh honey, he really does love you."

I blush. "You think so? What do you think about Amy?"

"For the life of me, I cannot get a reading on her. She seems pretty hardcore though. Is that your roommate?"

"The one and only!" I laugh. "She's actually not that hardcore, she just wants people to see her that way."

"I see. Well I better get going and try to find your father. I told you it wouldn't be so bad." I nod. "We'll be here the entire weekend but we won't bother you. I made sure your father had extra prescription meds for his anger management."

I smile. "That's great, you're the best, mom!"

"I love you, sweetie." She smothers me in a hug and plants a small kiss on my cheek.

"I love you too." I break away from her hug and run off down to main camp to try and find my friends.

(A/N: I updated yesterday and I'm about to update again! This just might mean no updates until the weekend or possibly next week but I think it's worth it. Also, thank you so much for 500 reads!! I love you guys so much and please comment and vote. Later lovelies <3 )