I Needed You

Week 22, Day 4:

"You left," Jakob slaps me. "You left him when he needed you most! Damn it, when I needed you most!"

"You had your mystery boy and Amy and Phoenix, Phoenix had Amy. None of you need me!" My voice is cracking, my eyes are watering.

"His name is Andres and he's my boyfriend." Jakob covers his smile.

"Well sorry to interrupt your session!" I snap.

"Jesus Christ, just because you're upset doesn't mean the rest of us can't be happy! He makes me happy, Clare."

"And he made me happy but he's gone now!" I'm screaming now, my eyes are flooding.

"I'm going to give you your space. Text me when you feel better." He mutters and walks out the door.

He lost his best friend who he fought so hard to keep around. We're all hurting because he left us. We're all hurting so hard. I can't go to class again, I can't bring myself to think of even his name.

Hunter Julian Brown. His favorite color was bright blue and sometimes red. He wore stereotypical hipster glasses to make people laugh and because he couldn't read without them. They complimented the bowtie that would appear around his neck every so often. His hair was brown as cocoa powder, eyes as green as grass. He was skinnier than a baguette, and clumsier than a whale on land. He'd play ukulele for us sometimes and he'd say he sucked but we all knew he was better than anyone we've ever met. He stole Jakob's flower crowns sometimes and he tried to be happy.

He had issues at home but didn't let that affect his home life here. He had scratches on his neck and bruises on his back and tears that never made it to tomorrow. He had a best friend named Jakob who will never recover from this. He had a girlfriend named Clare who wishes she could say she loves him, just one more time.

We can't say goodbye again. You get one goodbye in the end and one goodbye only. I now know that I sure as hell better make it count next time. I never want to go to sleep angry with someone. I never want to go to sleep angry. I'll make every hello seem like it's our first, every goodbye seem like it's our last. 

(A/N: This chapter is so important. Please remember, every time you say goodbye to someone, it could be the last thing you say to them.)