Finally (Never Again)

Week 19, Day 6:

I run out of my history exam with a smile on my face despite most likely bombing half my tests. Hunter walks out of his with a grin on his face as well and he sweeps me into his arms. "This is going to be the best Winter Break ever," he promises.

"Oh yeah? Why?"

"Because we'll be together, smartass." He presses his lips against my cheek and we meet up in the lunchroom with Jakob and Amy. Phoenix went home yesterday because their parents are leaving for the Philippines or some foreign country like that. Hunter grabs a bagel and some fruit while the rest of us grab spaghetti and meatballs.

"You never eat anything," Amy points out.

"Why are you here?" Jakob asks.

"Why are you here?" She counter argues. I'm assuming Jakob figured she wasn't worth the energy because she lets the subject drop.

"Any good books of late?" Hunter asks me.

"I just started rereading Harry Potter."

"For like the millionth time this year alone," Amy roles her eyes but we all choose to ignore her.

"The plane leave at two in the afternoon tomorrow," Hunter continues.

"Not nine in the afternoon? Bummer," I tease.

We finish lunch in mostly silence besides for the occasional comment on who's reading what or whose test was hardest. When Amy and I get back to our dorm, she plops down on her bed and plugs in her headphones. Basically meaning I'm free to do whatever I want.

I pull my suitcase down from the top of our wooden closet and stuff a few essential clothes in. While I'm shoving an extra fleecy flannel of mine into my black bag I accidentally knock over a frame on Amy's desk. I put it back but not without a short glimpse at it first. It's Amy with her arm over a boy with skin the color of iced coffee and eyes the color of palm fronds. "Who's this?" I point to the boy.

"Some ex-boyfriend." She waves me off and goes back to her music. I gingerly set the photo back in its place as I try to ponder what its meaning is. (As they say, boredom is the mother of invention.)

I fall asleep with ease that night and my alarm goes off at eleven, rudely awakening me from my beauty sleep. "Good morning, beautiful." Hunter is at the side of my bed.

"Thought you'd be cool with it if I let him in," Amy shrugs. "I mean not like he won't see you in less clothes at some point." I feel my cheeks get warm and Hunter chuckles lightly.

"Whatever you say, Amy." He grabs my suitcase and hauls it outside with his. "Can you be ready in thirty minutes? The shuttle leaves in an hour and I want you to have time to eat. I nod and slowly pry myself away from my loving bed sheets.

The ride over is quick and painless and I spend the time finishing The Prisoner of Azkaban. Hunter squeezes my hand as we land and I hug him tightly. "We're almost there, babe."

"So you mean to say you're close?" I smirk and he gently pushes my shoulder.

"I don't know what you're going to think of my parents," warns Hunter.

"You've met my parents and they're horrid, I'm sure your parents will be lovely." I smile at Hunter and I see his body stiffen. I reach to hug him but as soon as my hands make contact with his torso, he flinches. "Sorry," I mutter. I'm determined to make this week the best week we've ever had.