Chapter 2: A Familiar Face

Author's Note: *SpongeBob transition card voice* 'Ze next day...

Trigger warning: Uncensored language

(Updated Edits On 12/18/22)

---

"...for the last time you two...you AREN'T babysitting tonight!"

Undyne groaned while Alphys sighed, their attention no longer on the eggs and bacon placed in front of them.

"C'mon Toriel! We take GREAT care of Frisk!" Undyne exclaimed, a hint of her signature confidence in her voice.

"During the DAY maybe...but at night they end up staying up until three in the morning watching anime with you two! That's NOT healthy for them!" Toriel scolded, gesturing to Frisk as they nodded off slightly while eating.

"You see?"

At the sight of that, Undyne let the subject drop, but muttering could still be heard under her breath.

"Good morning everyone!"

Papyrus gave a wide smile as he stepped into the kitchen; waving a good morning to the family as he found his spot at the table. His smile was quick to fade however, when he noticed the spot next to him still empty.

"Is...is Sans still not down yet?" he questioned out loud, earning a collective shrug and nods from the rest of the table.

"That's a bit odd... it's not like him to be asleep this late..." Papyrus added quietly, fidgeting with his scarf in thought.

"You kidding? He was asleep until 2 in the afternoon the other day! The man could sleep through a hurricane if he really tried!" Undyne shot back with a laugh.

Papyrus rolled his eyes at that statement before answering.

"Yes, I'm aware Undyne. But as lazy as my brother can be, he has work today. You and I BOTH know he wouldn't sleep through that!" he retorted before looking down at the table with a worried crease between his eye sockets.

"I hope everything is alright..."

As if on cue, Sans walked into the kitchen with a soft "Good morning...", his usual grin replaced with a tired smile.

It was as if liquid sunshine was injected straight into Papyrus' bones as he gave his brother a happy smile back.

"Good MORNING brother! I was starting to worry! You don't usually sleep in on a work day." Papyrus replied.

Sans chuckled slightly as he gave his brother a pat on the shoulder.

"Ehh, s'all good bro...guess I was just more...BONE-tired than usual." Sans joked as he sat down, making Papyrus grimace as Toriel's snickers filled the air at the pun.

"Now I KNOW you're okay..." he muttered.

Sans gave a cheeky grin at that response before using his magic to open the fridge, taking a large gulp from the ketchup bottle that floated back to him.

"Alright, now that everyone is here, here's what I was thinking for this afternoon's shopping trip. I know everyone has their preferences so let's make sure the list is complete..." Toriel started.

As the small group sat down to eat, they began discussing what was to happen throughout the day as usual, but it didn't take long for them all to see that Sans wasn't as talkative as usual. He nodded a few times and answered any questions with very few words. As he began to wake up, the bags under his sockets became all the more noticeable; the sight all too familiar to Frisk.

"Hey...Sans? Are you feeling okay? You don't look too good..." they inquired, directing everyone's attention to Sans.

Sans' energy seemed to suddenly spike as he hastily responded.