Chapter 38: A Ripple In The Fog

Author's Note: Let's hope some progress has been made on that dang machine because our B-Team ain't doin so hot... :/

Trigger Warning(s): Uncensored language, talk of self-sacrifice, talk of imminent death, self-endangerment, implied possession, use of improvised weaponry, physical violence against another character, magical violence against another character, and attempted murder.

(Updated Edits on 8/2/23)

---

Sans exhaled deeply as he wiped some sweat from his skull.

"Alright...the wiring's looking alright down here." he concurred, wheeling himself out from beneath the massive contraption above him.

"How are things looking up there?"

Alphys adjusted her glasses slightly as she gave her screwdriver one more twist.

"The casing was a bit dented in places but it's pretty much sorted now. Just gotta finish these last couple screws and it should be ready to charge. You know what's powering it?" she questioned.

"Core power," Sans replied plainly.

"Do I even WANT to know how you managed to get enough Core power to charge this kind of machine all the way here from Hotland?"

Sans thought a moment before shaking his head.

"Probably best if you don't."

Alphys reluctantly accepted this answer as she got back to work; allowing Sans a moment to collect his thoughts.

He sat up slightly on his makeshift mechanic seat and took a glance at his surroundings. Frisk was keeping a vigil by the front door with a worried expression while Grillbz and his family had a deep conversation in hushed whispers over in the corner. The look of pure offense on Grillbz's face would have been enough to send Sans into a giggle fit if he had known the context.

Must not be that serious of a conversation.

Sans cracked a small smile in near longing at the prospect of a light-hearted distraction from the current situation that disappeared again almost instantly.

It was almost time.

Almost time for this all to end.

And if Toriel and Flowey were doing their part...that time was coming up fast.

He was surprised he had managed to hold himself together this long; especially considering how fragile his mental state had become as of late. Given his track record, one would assume that he would be having a full breakdown right now at the prospect of the sacrifice he would likely have to make.

Instead, all he felt was dread. It clung to him like a parasite and gave him more discomfort than that painful fear he had grown so accustomed to.

He had been preparing for this from the start. He had gone through every possible variable for the situation in his mind almost on a loop, and no matter how he looked at it the result was always the same.

He'll probably have to die in order for Papyrus to be freed.

It was the only real way to keep Chara from possessing anyone right? As soon as Papyrus was freed, they'll need somewhere to go. Who better than the guy who removed them from their latest host?

Whether he takes himself out first or gets dusted from his meager HP being overloaded by Human determination, Chara was going to be stuck in that machine and away from anyone they could possibly still want to hurt...

... exactly what he'd been working for all this time.

Sans breathed in sharply through his nose before letting it out again through his mouth.