Chapter 5: Kids These Days

Author's Note: Ze next day 2, electric boogaloo.

Trigger warning(s): Uncensored language, racism, homophobia, transphobia, blatant misgendering with malicious intent, inappropriate comments/implications and bullying among high school children that honestly, REALLY need to be taught some manners. Please tread lightly.

(Updated Edits On 12/18/22)

---

"Sans? Hello?"

"Sans?"

"HEY SANS!"

Sans bolted up with a start, falling off of the couch in surprise.

"UH?! BWUH?! I'M AWAKE!" he stammered loudly, instantly sitting up straight And at attention.

"No you weren't." Undyne said with a laugh.

Sans gave a small embarrassed chuckle as he rubbed the sleep out of his eyes.

"Heh...sorry Undyne...guess I ended up crashing here last night."

"That much is obvious ya bonehead." she said as she helped him up.

"But...you have a bed don't cha? Why'd you sleep down here?"

Sans gave a shrug.

"Eh...who knows. Probably sleepwalking like I used to or something. Nothing to worry about." he said with a tired smile.

Undyne's smile turned into a slight frown at that; compelling her to take a closer look at him. He wasn't looking much better than he did at breakfast the other day. If anything, he looked worse. The bags under his eye sockets were getting more and more prominent with each passing day. His sleep definitely wasn't improving. And surprise surprise...he still wasn't talking.

Undyne watched with a hand on her waist as Sans levitated things around the room as he walked, grabbing a bottle of ketchup while pulling on a hoodie.

"Heading out?" she asked after a moment of silence.

Sans nodded.

"Yeah. Toriel's got some meetings going on at the school and asked me to walk the kid home for her. Was gonna be out anyway, so may as well."

That made Undyne raise an eyebrow.

"Really? What for?"

Sans shrugged nonchalantly before answering.

"Thinking of finding another part time job."

Undyne's eyes widened slightly when she heard that.

"Seriously? Sans...you already work two back to back part times in town. What do you need another one for?"

"Money's money Undyne. You know that. Besides, if it helps take some weight off of Tori's shoulders, all the better right?" Sans answered as he grabbed his keys and shoved them in his pocket.

"I mean sure...but still...we've...we've been worried about you. You haven't been yourself lately." she remarked.

Sans turned to her.

"Is...this about what happened with Frisk?"

Undyne shrugged.

"You tell me."

Sans sighed as he rubbed the back of his skull.

"Like I said, I had a pretty rough night the night before and Frisk was unfortunately a victim to my bad mood. Don't worry about it. I'm not mad at them. I know they were just concerned and I shouldn't have snapped at them. It passed over and things are fine now. Don't worry about it okay? I'm fine. I'd tell ya if I wasn't."