Chapter 9: Making my decision

Me, Thalia, and Artemis were all completely silent as they waited for me to speak. I wasn't sure what to say. Joining the Hunt sounded both good and bad to me. On one hand I could travel the land with Artemis and the hunters, a group of ladies who had been protecting me for my entire life. But if I joined them I would never be able to experience dating. I mean I wasn't exactly popular among the boys at camp but I had always imagined that once I got claimed they would see me as normal. That they would want to date me instead of harass me. I also knew that I needed their help if I wanted to succeed on my quest; and the only way to do that would be by joining them. But if I joined the Hunt then I knew the amount of time I would have from here on out with Michael would be limited.
"If I joined the Hunt, would I ever be allowed to see Michael again?" I asked her hesitantly. This would be an important part in my decision. As much as I wanted the answers and as interesting as joining the Hunt sounded, if she told me that I would never see Michael again after I joined the Hunt then I would say no. Michael meant to much to me for me to just leave him.
"You will not see him everyday like you do now," she said honestly. "But you will be allowed to see him every now and then. You can ask Thalia, even as my lieutenant she still gets time off to go visit her brother." Thalia nodded in agreement to what Artemis said.
"Being a part of the Hunt will become a major part of your life," Thalia emphasized. "While that is extremely true, Lady Artemis gives us plenty of time to visit our families." With Thalia's reassurance, my mind was made up. Facing Artemis I said,
"If you will accept me, I wish to join your hunt." She smiled and nodded. No one fed me the words, I just started to sense what I needed to say. "I Jessica pledge myself to the Goddess Artemis. I turn my back on the company of men, accept eternal maidenhood, and join the Hunt." Once I finished speaking Artemis took my hand.
"Jessica I accept your oath and welcome you to my Hunt." I felt a surge of power go through me. A silver cloak, identical to the one that Thalia wore, appeared next to me."Thalia would you mind if Jessica bunked with you for the night?" Artemis asked her.
"Not at all," she smiled at me. When we made eye contact I could sense a sisterly bond between the two of us. Thalia turned to face me. "Come on, I'll take you to meet some of the other hunters and then we will go to bed." I stood up, put the cloak on, and then faced Artemis.
"Thank you for this opportunity." I said. "I won't let you down." With that, I followed Thalia out of the tent. My old life was behind me, my new one was just in my vision.