Chapter 58: Negotiations over my life

Zeus started pacing. He kept glancing in my direction but both Artemis and Hades kept me basically hidden from him. I would have been fully hidden but then I couldn't see what was going on and that didn't sit to well with me. Glancing around the throne room, I was met with many mixed expressions as the other gods watched the scene unfold. Ares was on the edge of his seat, clearly hoping for a fight to take place. Athena was watching the confrontation, her eyebrows were scrunched together as she analyzed the situation. Aphrodite was staring down at me with says eyes, my best guess as to the cause of her reaction was that she believed I would never get to experience love. The silence of the room was starting to suffocate me.
   "I hope you understand that I cannot just overlook this blatant attack, brother," Zeus spat out at Hades.
   "As long as you understand that this was not an attack," Hades said in response. Zeus laughed darkly. 
   "How dare you lie to my face and say that it wasn't an attack," thunder boomed above us. "You had a child with my daughter and then you had the audacity to hide it from me. How can you say that it was not at attack?" Zeus took a few steps towards me, Hades and Artemis ushered me a few steps back.
   "Father, I do not care how mad you might be, you cannot harm this demigod." Artemis said boldly. I peaked out from behind her, just far enough so I could see her and Zeus taking place in a staring contest.
   "Move aside daughter," he told her coldly. Artemis shook her head.
   "I can't do that father," she responded. "Jessica is a member of my Hunt. If you harm her then you harm me." Zeus didn't respond. He kept staring her in the eyes. The room fell quiet.
   "My sister is right," my head shot towards Athena. She was now standing. "Under ancient laws, Jessica is under Artemis's protection. If you do anything to Jessica than you are technically attacking your own daughter." A look of realization appeared on Zeus's face. Athena looked down at me before I had a chance to look away from her. "This demigods birth may not have been approved of but I sense great things to come from her. This is only the start of what she will accomplish as a demigod. To harm her would not be approved of by the fates." I almost wanted to take offense to her statement but I realized that it wouldn' be a wise move to do so. No matter what she was saying about me, she was trying to save me.  Zeus expression stayed unmoving; he appeared to be thinking. Finally he sighed and began to speak.
   "Against my own better judgement, I will let this demigod live under two conditions," I was almost ready to celebrate when I heard the end of his sentence. My heart nearly stopped as I tried to put on a brave face. "She must always remain a member of the Hunt. If she were ever to break her vows of eternal maidenhood than she would become fair game." Before he could continue, Artemis cut him off.
   "That is an acceptable condition so long as you and every member of this room swears on the River Styx to never do anything to Jessica that may lead to her breaking her vows." Artemis instructed. "No love potions, manipulation, or any of the sorts may be used on Jessica." Zeus rolled his eyes but nodded.
   "Fine fine, we all swear on the River Styx not to anything that would make Jessica break her vows to you." Clearly trying to get the power of the room back, Zeus stood up even taller. "My second condition is that little if any interaction may take place between Jessica and Hades." This criteria I did not approve of and from his cry of outrage, my father clearly felt the same way. Artemis and Athena glanced at each other.
   "Remember the lesson Percy Jackson taught us," Artemis cautioned Zeus. "Demigods get angry and dangerous if they get no interaction with their godly parent." Zeus again sighed.
   "Dreams and gifts are allowed to pass between the two," he began. "I'll even allow Iris-messaging every now and then. But with the exception of a council meeting if she gets summoned to one, they are allowed one meeting in person a year. And that is my final offer." I hated it, but I knew that I would have to accept it. Stepping past Hades and Artemis, I bowed to Zeus.
   "I swear on the River Styx that I accept your conditions," I told him. "Thank you for letting me live." As much as he tried to hide it, I saw his eyebrows raise. He was clearly impressed.
   "Jessica no," I heard Hades shout from behind me. I turned around so I was facing him with a sad smile on my face.
   "I'm sorry father, it was my only choice." He shook his head, I nodded mine. "Now I must leave you. But know this, you have put me at much ease. My confusion has cleared up greatly." Artemis put a hand on my shoulder and slowly started to lead me away. "I love you dad," I said just before the doors to the throne room shut. Artemis and I were now in the hallway.
   "How'd you know it was Hades?" She asked me. "And are you ok?" I shrugged.
   "I can't really explain how I figured it out," I told her honestly. "It all sort of just came to me during the battle yesterday. I thought I was about to die and all these thoughts and memories just came racing back to me." Artemis nodded in understanding.
   "How are you feeling?" She asked me.
   "I'll let you l know once I figure that out," a small smile rose on my face. "Artemis."
   "Yeah Jessica." She looked down on me. 
   "Can you take me to go see Michael?" I asked her hopefully. She nodded.
   "I can certainly take you to go see Michael," she responded with a smile. "I have some things I need to talk to Chiron about anyways." With that, we headed outside. Whistling loudly, we were greeted with the same two Pegasus who had brought us to Olympus. "Think you guys can get us to Camp Half-Blood?" Artemis asked them. Both creatures nodded so we climbed on their backs and were soon flying through the sky. I'm coming coming Michael, I thought happily as I stared at the rapidly approaching city.