Chapter 40: A message for Michael

I waited quietly on my bed while Thalia and Jason said their goodbyes. I could have left the tent while they spoke but instead I waited. Waited because I had a message to pass onto him. I waited because I still needed to thank him. I waited because I had a favor that I needed to ask for from him. Watching the siblings interact put a smile on my face while it also made me feel like I was getting stabbed in the heart. I missed Michael. Once Thalia and Jason were finished with their farewells they looked over at me. The expression on my face must have looked serious because Thalia gave Jason one last hug and then left the tent; giving us some alone time.
   "Thank you again for saving me," he smiled at me.
   "Again, it was no problem," Jason responded. "I would have been a lame excuse for a demigod if I hadn't." His comment made me laugh. Then I remembered the favor I wanted to ask him, my laughter stopped. "Are you ok?" He asked me, concern clearly creeping into his voice.
   "I need you to promise me something." His facial expression dropped. His eyes flickered to the door, like he was tempted to call Thalia back.
   "Why do I have a feeling that this is heading somewhere I won't like?" He questioned me. I patted the spot on my bed next to me. He walked over and sat down.
   "I swear it's not as bad as you probably think," I told him. "Then again I can't read your mind so maybe it is as bad as you think. I promise it's not meant to be bad, I'll just feel more at ease if I cover every scenario that I can think of." He looked at me skeptically.
   "I still don't think I like where this is going," I shrugged at his comment.
   "Thank you for your honesty but I'm still going to ask you for this favor." A defeated look fell across his face. I took a deep, shaky breath before I continued. "If something happens to me on this quest," he immediately cut me off.
   "Don't talk like that," I gave his a stony look.
   "Let me finish please," I had to hold myself back so I didn't yell. "I'm not saying that I think something is going to happen on this quest and I really hope that everything goes well." I spoke slowly. "But you can't deny that there's a chance that something might happen to me. If something does than I need you to pass a message along to my brother." Just the thought of Michael was enough to dampen the corners of my eyes. "My little brother, Michael, has been my world for as long as I can remember. An incident happened a few days ago and he lost his memory of me. It's supposed to be back on the last day of my quest but I won't be able to be there with him. If something happens to me then I need you to pass on a message for me. Can you do that?" I wiped the tears off of my face. Jason had a worried look on his face.
   "As long as you aren't trying to say that you expect to die on this quest than I will listen to your message." I nodded appreciatively.
   "Here it is," I cleared my throat before going on. "Start with telling him that I loved him. Always did and always will. He was my world and he made all the rough times we went through bearable for me. Then tell him not to make the same mistakes that I did. Because if something happens I'm afraid he will start to live in hate and anger; I don't want that for him. Tell him that I want him to move on; let him know that I want him to forgive everyone. I've spent so much of my life angry at everyone and I regret it. A life full of anger is not a life well spent. Finally please just tell him to always remember me." I could no longer blink back my tears. Jason engulfed me in a hug. He rubbed my back in a soothing, older brother like fashion.
   "You will get through this quest and you will see Michael again," he assured me. "But if something goes wrong than I swear on the River Styx that I will tell Michael your message." It felt like 100 pounds was lifted off of my shoulders.
   "Thank you," I whispered quietly. He pulled away and smiled at me. I wiped the tears off of my face.
   "I guess that I should go join the hunters," he nodded in agreement with me.
   "That would probably be wise." After one more hug, I stood up, smiled, and walked out of the tent. A newfound determination to succeed was within me.