Chapter 14: I need some time to think

When I got closer to the crowd of hunters, they all turned towards me. Artemis looked worried and the hunters looked confused.
   "Jessica are you alright?" Artemis asked softly. "Where's Thalia?" The other hunters were clearly wondering the same thing.
   "I'm fine," I whispered just loudly enough for them to hear. "Thalia and I just got caught up in a conversation while we set up her tent. Sorry to keep you all waiting," I said quietly.
   "We still need to finish our conversation," Thalia said from behind me. I flinched at the sound of her voice. Looking over my shoulder, I shook my head at her.
   "I have nothing more to say," I told her. "That should be enough of a reason for us to let the conversation die." Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Artemis raise her eyebrows.
   "They had no right to treat you that way." Thalia said harshly. "Someone needs to bring it to the gods attention." I rapidly shook my head.
   "There's no point in bringing it to their attentions now that I'm a part of the Hunt." I said reasonably. "Besides the only one of the gods who has ever cared about me is Artemis. The rest have never cared so why would they start now?" It was clear that all of the hunters were dying to know what we were talking about. Thalia's expression softened when she heard what I said.
   "Jessica, you don't have to hide your pain anymore." She told me softly. "All of us care about you and it's not good for you to have all of this negative energy bottled up." By now all of the hunters were on the edge of their seats with anticipation. Thalia wrapped me in a hug.
   "You do not have to tell me what you and Thalia are discussing if you do not want to," Artemis said from behind me. "But I want you to know that I care dearly for you and if you ever wish to talk, then I am here for you." I pulled away from Thalia and turned so I was facing Artemis.
   "Thank you," I said softly. "I will keep all that in mind." I saw all the other hunters looking at me with curiosity. "I'm not comfortable telling all of you about what Thalia and I were talking about right now, but you do deserve to know. Because of that I will tell you soon though. For now, all I feel alright saying is that I was telling her about my life at camp. If you guys wouldn't mind letting the conversation end here, I would be most appreciative." They all nodded understandingly. I smiled at them softly.
   "Can we eat now," Nicole asked. My stomach growled when I heard her question. With everything that had been going on I hadn't realized how hungry I was. Everyone laughed when they saw my face turn red from blushing.
   "Yes we can eat now Nicole," Artemis said laughing. With that, lunch was served. Despite grabbing a plateful of food, I was the first one finished eating. What can I say, I was starving. For a few minutes I just stared down at my plate. I talked when I was asked questions but  otherwise I just listened to them. Feeling wrestles, I stood up.
   "Lady Artemis would you mind if I go take a walk?" I asked her. Everyone immediately quieted down. "I won't go far or be gone for a long time." I promised. She seemed to hesitate.
   "If you want I can send one of the other hunters with you," she said slowly. All the other hunters immediately started volunteering to go with me after they heard what she said.
   "I'm fine going by myself," I said truthfully. "I have my bow and arrow with me and I'll stay relatively close. I just need some alone time to think." Artemis looked worried but she nodded in approval. I shot her a smile and then grabbed a quiver of arrows. With my bow in my hands and the quiver on my back, I started to walk away from the camp grounds.