Chapter 57: I learn more than expected about my family tree

I'm assuming that it was due to the look of anger on her fathers face, that Artemis hurriedly sprinted across the room so that she was in front of me.
   "Father," she breathed out carefully. "Why are you so mad?" I think that was a question that everyone in the room wanted to have answered. I know for a fact that I wanted it answered. Zeus was literally ruining a moment that I had dreamed about for so long and it ticked me off.
   "How could you do this to me brother?" My anger was overcome by confusion. I looked back at Hades, my father; I wanted to see how he reacted.
   "This is not a conversation to be held in front of Jessica," Hades said. To my amazement, he didn't sound intimidated by Zeus. If anything, he sounded annoyed that he had to have this conversation. Ignoring what Hades said, Zeus looked down at me.
   "Does the name, Cassandra Hayes mean anything to you? Anything at all?" He questioned me. I was ready to shake my head, I had never heard that name before in my life, when something clicked. I thought back to the notes that had been left when Michael and I were left at the orphanage.
   "C.H." I muttered to myself. I looked up at Zeus. "She's mine and Michaels mother isn't she?" He nodded. "Well what's she got to do with all of this? How do you even know her?" It was my turn to question him. Which might not have been the smartest move considering he was in a bad mood and if I said one thing to tick him off than he could have killed me before I registered what was happening. Instead of answering my questions, Zeus went back to glaring at Hades. No longer caring that I was still in the room, Hades glared right back at him.
   "I don't understand why you're so mad at me Hermes had a child with her as well." My head snapped back and forth from Zeus to Hades and back to Zeus. "You've known about their relationship for years yet you've never been angry at him over it." Levers were slowly starting to move my brain through its thought process. So much was going on that it was hard to handle.
   "Yes but Hermes handled it properly," Zeus said with a matter-of-tone. "He told me what happened and asked for permission. Unlike you he didn't keep his affair with my daughter a secret for 15 years." My heart stopped. The room fell silent. No one moved a muscle. I tried to wrap my head around what he was saying. I finally turned to my father,
   "Tell me what's going on," I begged him. When he didn't answer I tried again. "Please just tell me what he's talking about." Hades let out a sigh but kneeled down so we were face to face.
   "Your mother was a wonderful women," he began. "But she was not a mortal. She was a demigod just like you are. She knew who I was and I knew that her father was Zeus, but we didn't care. We fell in love. One day though, we were almost caught. Zeus had come to check in on her, I barely got away in time. After that and once she found out that she was pregnant, I  realized that there was no good possible outcome for me and her. That's why I left." I stared at him wide eyed in disbelief.
   "You mean that," Hades nodded before I could even finish my sentence. As hard as it was to believe, it did make sense. The clues had made me lean towards either Zeus and Hades as being my father. Beyond just that I shared similarities to the both of them. I loved to fly but I preferred night over day. I could be leader when needed but I also liked to work alone. It all fi. It was all incredibly weird, but it all fit. I had still had one question though.
   "Why did you never claim me?" I questioned Hades. He looked at me with sad eyes.
   "All of these years, I have really wanted to claim you." I was skeptical of this remark. "But I couldn't without endangering you. I was to scared that if Zeus found out who your mother was than he would attack you. I was afraid that war would breakout."  This made sense. I was almost made that it did,  it made it harder for me to remain angry. But I accepted his reason. Before he could stop me, I wrapped my arms around him in a hug. Some members of the room awed and others groaned. I didn't care what they thought though, I was hugging my dad. We didn't break apart until we heard someone clear their throat loudly. Hades stepped so he was beside Artemis and in front of me. Zeus had his arms cross and was watching our interaction. He still looked mad. Time started to pass as no one said anything and no one moved. I would have spoken but I was scared and still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that my mother was a daughter of Zeus's. Knowing my mothers identity beyond just her initials on a note was unsettling for me. Everything that has happened was almost to much to take in. Standing still, I waited to see what god or goddess would break their silence first.