Chapter 25: I recieve hope about my brothers memory

As I kneeled on the ground, my head in my hands, I thought about how I should go help the other hunters. But every time I considered moving, my legs shook and I felt like throwing up. Every now and then I felt a shudder run through my body. Killing monsters was one thing, it was normal. But seeing them happily kill themselves just so I don't find out who my father is was something else, and it wasn't a good something. So I gave into my weakness, I stayed kneeling in confusion and agony when I should have been helping my fellow hunters. I prayed to Artemis that they would forgive me. Eventually, the screaming from outside ceased and I heard the door open. For all I knew at the moment a monster could be standing behind me and kill me with one stab in the back (literally) but I didn't bother to turn around. If it was a monster, so be it. If it was one of the hunters than they would probably be furious and ashamed of me, I didn't want to see that. When I heard quiet mutters behind me, I knew that there were hunters in the room. I still stayed still until I felt a hand on my shoulder, then I flinched.
   "Hey Jessica it's ok," Thalia's voice was gentle. I still refused to remover my hands from my face to look at her. I was to ashamed. "We got rid of all the monsters; there were very few mortal casualties." I still said nothing. "And there were zero hunter casualties, none of us even got injured." I was starting to think that Thalia's plan was to just keep talking until I spoke. "We also found a young boy, a demigod, who told me that someone dressed like all of us had saved his life." That got a reaction out of me. My head shot up and I rapidly stood and spun so I was facing Thalia.
   "Is he alright?" She looked taken aback by my overprotective tone. It even surprised me but I knew it was just because of his strong resemblance  to Michael. Thalia nodded.
   "We checked him for injuries and than explained everything to him." She said. "Then we sent him back to his family and contacted camp so they could send a satyr here to receive him." I pulled back in shock.
   "You contacted camp?" I asked confused and worried. "What did Chiron say? Is he mad? Has Michael regained any of his memory yet? How is Michael?" I was shocked by how quickly I asked my questions. I knew I still cared about Michael but I wasn't sure why I was rushed to ask about Chiron. Based off of her facial expression, Thalia was unsure as to why I was curious as well.
   "Chiron is worried about you," Thalia said softly. "And he feels horribly about what he did. He told me to tell you he's sorry." I looked at her; unsure what to make of this information.
   "What about Michael?" Her answer here would be something I remembered forever. My brother would either be as oblivious about my existence as he had been when I left or he would be confused because he remembered somethings but not everything. Thalia took a deep breath and then spoke.
   "For the most part, nothing has changed." She said sadly. "But, Chiron believes Michaels subconscious remembers you." I looked at her confused.
   "What do you mean by that?" I asked.
   "If asked about you, Michael still has no memory." Thalia began. "But Chiron and even other campers have noticed some of his actions suggests that he has memory of you. He just doesn't realize it." I slowly began to understand what she was saying but I needed proof.
    "What did he do? Give me some examples?" I was shocked she could even understand what I said considering how fast I had just spoken.
   "The other night, Michael had a nightmare." I winced; when he got nightmares it was impossible for anyone to wake him and even when I could, he would still be shaken up for the rest of the night. "He woke all the other Hermes campers up with his screaming. When he finally managed to snap out of it and woke up, he didn't say anything. He climbed to the top bunk, the one that used to be yours, and got under the covers. He then hugged your pillow to his chest tightly." Thalia stopped talking for a moment. "He used to sleep on your bed with you after his nightmares, didn't he?" I nodded. It had started when he was younger, even before we got to camp. He often got horrible nightmares and had no chance of falling back asleep unless I was right next to him. They were so bad that he kept it up throughout the years. Despite getting older, and being tougher than he looked, his nightmares were the one thing that caused him to feel like a little kid.
   "What else has he done," even if he didn't remember me, these actions would give me hope that he eventually would. Thalia was quiet for a moment, it was clear that she was thinking back to her conversation with Chiron.
   "During meals he always acts a bit off," she told me. I titled my head in a questioning way. "Instead of sitting right by the other Hermes campers, Michael will sit at the end of the table. Whenever it's time to give offering to the gods he hesitates before standing, like he's looking or waiting for someone." I felt a tear of joy roll down my face. To others what she was saying may seem irrelevant, but to me they meant the world. He may not realize what he remembers yet, but he does remember things about me. And that was a good starting point. Before Thalia knew what I was doing, I gave her a hug.
   "Thank you," I whispered quietly into her ear. She patted my back reassuringly. I wasn't sure how long we were standing there until I heard someone clear their throat. Letting go of Thalia, I turned around and saw Chloe. She was looking shaken up and holding a piece of paper. That's when it clicked; I was about to get the next clue to who my father was.