Chapter 56: After 15 years I learn the identity of my father

I wasn't sure how much time had passed but before I knew it, we were there. I'd only ever seen pictures of Olympus, never before had I seen ī in person. The pictures didn't do it justice. It was beautiful in a very breathtaking way. It was both extravagant yet simple. It really was a home fit for the gods.
   "What do you think?" Artemis asked me. I was so amazed that I was speechless. She laughed at my lack of words. "Come on, it's time to get to the throne room." Staying behind her, I did my best to take in the scenery as I followed her path. After long outdoor paths and winding hallway so, I found myself standing side by side of Artemis I'm front of a huge pair of doors. "Are you ready?" She asked me.
   "As ready as I'll ever be," I answered truthfully. She knocked three times on the door.
   "Come in," a male voice called out to us. Artemis swung the door open and the throne room was revealed. I let Artemis take a few steps into the room and then I followed behind her. All of the gods and goddesses were staring down at me. Some looked interested, others impressed, and others angry. I made my way to the center of the room and bowed to Zeus. No matter what happened next, I needed to show him respect for allowing me into his house. He nodded in acknowledgement of me and then looked at Artemis.
   "Why did you summon this meeting daughter?" He sounded irritated.
   "Because father, my hunter needed an audience with all of you." With that, she turned the floor over to me. Artemis backed away to the corner, leaving me in the center of the room.
   "Hello," my voice got caught in my throat, I coughed. I was more nervous than I cared to admit. "My name is Jessica and I am an unclaimed demigod." Many groans came from the gods.
   "Really Artemis, you called us here to listen to this sob story again." Ares said, clearly irritated.
   "Shut up before I make you," Artemis snapped back. I looked over my shoulder at her. She gave me a smile and motioned for me to keep going.
   "As I was saying, my name was Jessica."This time I spoke with more confidence. I commanded the attention of the room. "And until yesterday, I had no idea who my father was. But now I know. The reason all of you are here, is that I need my guess to be confirmed." Zeus looked down at me skeptically. Some of the gods shifted uneasily in their thrones.
   "And why should we do anything to help you?" Zeus asked me coldly. Thunder boomed above us. "Give me a reason besides you member of the Hunt. Tell me what makes you so special that I should answer your question." For a moment I froze, I didn't know how to respond. But then I took a deep breath and began to speak. The words came from within me.
   "You will help me because I have earned your help." I began. "My quest has brought me here and now I deserve your help. But really it goes beyond my quest. You will help me because you're scared of me." I knew that I was pushing my luck and that I should stop talking but I kept going. "Whatever the truth behind my godly genetics is, it is more secretive and major than you care to admit. But you know it needs to be revealed, bad things will happen if it's not." I spun around so I was facing the rest of the room. "Do not think that I am only addressing Lord Zeus right now. I am talking to him because this is his home. But I know that while many of you can claim naivety to my identity, there are at least a few of you who know the truth. I ask you to step forward and tell it to me." One by one, I looked each god and goddess in the face. Zeus cleared his throat.
   "What happened to you having an idea of who your father is," he asked me. "I thought all we needed to do was confirm your statement." I nodded at him.
   "If my father doesn't step up and admit to well, being my father, than yes. All I will need is for you to confirm my assumption." I waited, no one spoke. "Very well. I guess I will call my father out and see if I am correct." This was the moment of truth. Nothing has ever been so suspenseful and I knew what I was about to say. In turn I looked Hades, Zeus, and Ares all in the eyes. Then I repositioned my body, got on one knee, and slowly looked up.
   "Hello father," Hades did not break eye contact with me as I addressed him. Many members of the room gasped but I did not look at any of them, I simply remained staring at Hades. It wasn't until he gave me a slight nod of confirmation that I knew I was right. I was a daughter of the lord of the Underworld: King Hades. No one spoke, the room was silent. At least it was until a certain God of the skies yelled,
   "What is the meaning of this?" Thunder sounded and lighting flashed above us. Moving very slowly, I stood and turned my body. Standing in front of his throne, at his full size, with his lightning bolt in his hand, Zeus glared down at me and Hades. I didn't know why he was angry and I was scared to find out, but I knew that he was not going to keep the reason for his anger hidden much longer. So I waited.