Chapter 60: A verdict about my future is reached

Michael and I sat on the same couch that I had sat on two years ago when we first came to camp. While Michael had gotten a tour of our new home my "great but dangerous," future had been foretold in this very room. Chiron paced in front of us while Dionysus and Artemis were standing off to the side. Artemis has just finished telling Chiron and Mr. D everything that had take place on the quest. She started with my meeting with Thalia and went all the way to the two conditions that I had agreed to in order to stay alive. Artemis also gave them a piece of mind about how they had treated me and let me get treated. She had finished speaking a couple of minutes ago. No one had spoken since. Abruptly, Chiron stopped  pacing and faced me and Michael.
   "Do not think that I am not still mad at you over breaking my rule and leaving camp," I cut him off.
   "I never broke any of your rules though," I smirked. "I never left camp grounds alone." Chiron rolled his eyes at my sassy response.
   "As I was saying, despite my anger, I am very glad to see and hear that you are okay." I crossed my arms and didn't lighten my glare on him. "I, I also need to apologize. And I promise that I'm not just doing this because of Artemis scolding me. You have every right to be angry at me. I should have put a stop to the bullying along time ago. You should not have had to go through that, I'm sorry that you." I nodded as I listened to what he said. He did seem genuinely sorry.
   "Now I'm not saying that I am going to magically start loving this place, but after your apology I don't think I'll mind being here when I get to come and visit." This got Michaels attention.
   "What do you mean visit?" Michael asked, panic in his eyes. "Do you mean you're not staying here?" He scooted away from me.
   "Michael, I thought you knew that." I said. "As a member of the Hunt, I live and travel with Artemis. I'll be able to come visit you every now and then but I can't live here any longer." Michael had his mouth open but it was Artemis's voice that entered the conversation.
   "Actually, I have a proposal for you." She addressed me. My heart dropped, I didn't see how this could be good news. But I still nodded for her to continue. "It has come to my attention that the option of my Hunt does not receive much publicity here. I am sure that there are many female demigods who are well suited to become hunters but they have never been told that it is a possibility for them." Mr. D cut her off here.
   "What are you getting at Artemis?" He questioned her.
   "I propose that Jessica, as a member of my hunt who has the ability to spot the ability of a potential hunter, stay at camp." Artemis made eye contact with me. "She will live in my cabin, train, and still follow of all her vows. But she will have the job of educating females about their options and seeing who may be fit to become a member of my Hunt." Though staying at camp didn't sound like an awful option, my emotions still fell.
   "Did I do something wrong?" I asked Artemis. "Is that why you do not want me to travel with you and the rest of the Hunt?" Artemis immediately started shaking her head. She moved so she was sitting beside me on the couch.
   "You have done nothing wrong." She told me. "I have loved having you traveling beside me and I am ecstatic that you are a part of the Hunt. But I mustn't be selfish." I titled my head in confusion. "Your brother needs you here. Other demigods need you to help them. Females need to learn about the Hunt. You can help all of them. When the time comes, you will leave camp and permanently travel with me. Until then though, with the exception of any hunts or quests that I summon you for, your home is this camp." I nodded in understanding. A part of me was sad that I would need to stay here but for the most part, I was happy about the job that Artemis had given me. I was finally going to have an opportunity to experience the camp as a home, instead of just a place that I didn't belong. The clock in the room ticked loudly, Artemis looked up at it. She appeared to be shocked. "I must leave immediately, she said. Thalia and the others are likely very confused and getting worried." She wrapped me in a hug. "For now I leave you, but this is not a goodbye for forever. I will be in touch with you soon." With that she jumped from her seat, bolted out the door, and was gone. For a moment there was silence and then Michael cheered.
   "Yes, you get to stay here!" I smiled at him. "I cant wait to see your new cabin. Do you think that I'm allowed in it considering I'm a boy? Oh my gosh we need to contact Leo and calypso, they've been worried sick about you." In order to quiet him down, I stuck my hand on top of his mouth.
   "Jessica," I looked over at Chiron. "Welcome home." And for the first time in two years, it didn't feel like a lie to call camp my home.