Chapter Eight

"CAMI," Emma calls frantically from behind me as I pull my house keys from my pocket. I stop in my tracks and turn around. I just came back from a trip to the supermarket, but I didn't hear anyone behind me. I place the shopping bags back down by my feet and raise an eyebrow. 

"Have you been stalking me," I ask with a raised eyebrow. She smiles sweetly and ignores my comment with an annoyed twinkle in her eyes. 

"So there's this festival every year that starts today and changes with the seasons until the summer holidays," Emma pipes up with an excited smile. "It's pretty cool."

"Okay," I state dumbly, and she just stares at me.

"This is your best friend asking you to sneak out tonight to come to the festival with her!"

"I don't have to sneak out Emma."

"You were funner back in the day."

"Funner? That's not a word."

"Whatever you say, smartass," she replies and flicks my forehead, "Now answer me: you coming or what?"

"Sure. I'll see you at seven, yeah?"

"Cool. Bye bitch," she shouts at me as she saunters off. I shake my head with a smile.

"Toodles asshole!"

"Wait up!" Someone calls behind me and I spin around, only to be faced with the guy from yesterday from the forest who was out - what did he say again? Oh yes: sculpting.

"What are you doing here," I ask, crossing my arms on instinct. 

"I live quite close," he replies defensively. 

"No, I mean here, here. As in right now here."

"Oh- umm..." He glances around and when no one is in sight he leans in, his nervous look suddenly replaced with a threatening one. I take an instinctive step back."Don't tell anyone what you saw yesterday got it," he practically growls. I look at him dubiously. 

"What do you mean?"

"WHEN YOU NOD YOUR HEAD YES BUT YOU WANNA SAY NO!" A boyish voice sounds behind us and I see Jack skipping over to us, a pissed off looking Jasper right behind him. "Yo girl, are you coming tonight?" Relief floods over me as they both look at the guy by my side with an indecipherable expression that makes the latter gulp nervously and he spins around on his heel with slight anger. Weird. He stalks off without another word, practically fuming. 

"Yes," I reply, keeping my eyes trained on his disappearing form. When his silhouette has disappeared down the street and he's completely out of sight, I direct my attention back to the twins. Jack is watching me with expectation. "I am. Why did he just walk off like that? And what the hell is everyone doing at my house today?"

"No one messes with my bitch," Jack exclaims, obviously darting around my last question. 

"Did you just call me a dog?"

"We'd be the perfect match." He winks at me with a playful smile and a confused expression settles on my face.

"What?" I feel so damn stupid today. He lets out an exasperated sigh.

"You're no fun. I take it they still haven't told you." As the words leave Jack's lips, Jasper elbows him harshly in the ribs, making the former hiss in pain and shoot his twin a look full of contempt and the promise of revenge.